Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any theories as to why I sucked so bad today?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any theories as to why I sucked so bad today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 12:32 PM
psuaero
Never fear the hills...

Bikes: 2011 Giant TCR Advanced, 2010 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro, 2011 Redline Monocog Flight 29r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
OK, this doesn't add up at all.
I just did my usual 26-mile training route and it was, perhaps, the worst ride I have had in six years.
Hip,

I know just how you feel. Last month I was doing my normal 28 mile training route and went out looking to try and set my personal best time. I had a day off riding the previous day and it wasn't unbearably hot so out I went watching the HRM and trying to keep from blowing up. I pushed it all the way and was shocked to see I came in almost 7 minutes later than my best time and 5-6 minutes slower than average. I was devastated and couldn't figure it out. It was bugging me that night and the next day at work.

The next day I went to go for a ride was still feeling sluggish so I turned around and went home after less than a mile. That's when I realized I had forgotten to top off my tires the day before. While putting them back to the usual 110psi I also noticed my rear brake was dragging slightly. I also cleaned up and re-lubed the chain and then went back out. Suddenly I was on fire and blazing along at unheard of speeds. I ended up coming close to setting my record but missed it again by about 35 seconds.

Check everything over and don't be surprised if you find a caliper hanging or lower tire press....
John
Old 08-04-06, 12:36 PM
shoerhino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PenguinDeD
3 days off will definitely make you feel the way you feel. Generally if I take more than 1 day off in a row I feel sluggish the first day back in the saddle. Don't go too hard tomorrow and you should be back to normal or pretty close to it for Sunday. You may even feel stronger than you normally do Sunday because of the 3 days off.
My experience exactly. With a single day off, I feel great the next day. More than two days off and the first day back is very hard but once you get through the first day back, the next day normally is a better than average day.

Also, I agree with the previous poster about eating unhealthy. Pizza can make me feel sluggish as well and something that you ate may contribute to that feeling.
Old 08-04-06, 12:56 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
A few days off the bike can be killer. I have been off going on two weeks with resp. infection.

Just get together with your team tonight and pound some beer and Jack Daniels. Tomorrow you should be leading the peloton again.
Old 08-04-06, 12:57 PM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hip,

Funnel Cake is the ultimate recovery food. Will make you strong like Voigt, fearless like Vinokurov, handsome and stylish like Cipollini.
Old 08-04-06, 01:09 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cromulent
Hip,

Funnel Cake is the ultimate recovery food. Will make you strong like Voigt, fearless like Vinokurov, handsome and stylish like Cipollini.
Just arrived at State Fair to do the show Crom....Satan food is all around me!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for the great advice and similar stories.

Tonight I am going to check the pressure for the new tires..the brakes....then get a good sleep and have at it again tomorrow.

I'll report back.

And no...no pizza.
Eating and drinking smart as I head into my century attempt at the end of the month.
Old 08-04-06, 01:15 PM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Did you verify that once you put the wheels (complete with new tires) back on the bike that you got them centered in their respective dropouts so that the rims weren't rubbing on the brakes?
Old 08-04-06, 01:20 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KevinF
Did you verify that once you put the wheels (complete with new tires) back on the bike that you got them centered in their respective dropouts so that the rims weren't rubbing on the brakes?
LBS did the work.
I think the bike is fine, but tomorrow morning I am going to check the spin, brakes, and tire pressure recommendations for these....perhaps a little more air.

I liked the stiffer, faster feel of my old Michelins...but we'll see what happens tomorrow on my 35-mile route.
Old 08-04-06, 01:23 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Depending on how you feel, you may be better cutting your ride short tomorrow and tacking some miles on to your sunday ride.
Old 08-04-06, 01:42 PM
RoadToNowhere
mamafitz

Bikes: Serotta CDA, Cannondale R800, mid-80's Bianchi hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hip, I went out for last night's 6:00 club ride feeling good and ready to roll. I had taught a class at 4:15, which is a nice warmup for me, so I felt great from the start. I was well-hydrated, well-fed, and was ready to tackle the heat. I decided to head out with the 17 avg group.

About 10 miles out I noticed my heart rate tracking along about 15 - 20 beats higher than normal. It went up and stayed there. At 20 miles, my legs started cramping and I couldn't get out of the saddle without both quads seizing up. My choices were to head back the 15 or so miles solo at my own pace or to hang with the group and whatever the route brings. I chose to hang with them, hoping the worst of the climbs were behind me. I have never been so close to calling it quits on the road as I was last evening.

We got back in with an average of 16.7 over 36 miles. Felt like crap, every muscle aching - and my quads were still trying to cramp up a couple of hours later. I failed to really consider the fact that we were under an excessive heat warning with poor air quality readings, and that it might just have an effect. I should have paid attention and scaled the ride back a bit.

Good thing is, I know when the weather cools down a little I will feel that much better.

B
Old 08-04-06, 01:56 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe its because you ride the usual 26 mile training ride every time you train.
Old 08-04-06, 02:21 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by curiouskid55
Maybe its because you ride the usual 26 mile training ride every time you train.
Why would that matter?

Plus, that's not correct.
It's what I ride on weekdays.
Old 08-04-06, 02:33 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We all have off days. Let it pass. If you have a few off days, then take the hint and take few off. It's nothing to fret over.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 08-04-06, 03:08 PM
pedex
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
part of the periodization process is consistency, 3 days off blew that away
Old 08-04-06, 03:18 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pedex
part of the periodization process is consistency, 3 days off blew that away
Just three lousy days though?

I was on vacation in May for a week off the bike and this didn't happen.

Although I will say that was much earlier in the season and I certainly was not in the shape I am in now....
Old 08-04-06, 03:22 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Because your body has learned that workout and is doing its best to put out absolute minimum to do it. You are in a non-productive training rut. If you do the same ride the same way all the time it will be very difficult to show improvement, and very difficult to maintain expected performance when slight henderances occur.
Old 08-04-06, 03:25 PM
Dead Roman
Devourer of souls

Bikes: Felt f70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
personally, I know if im pumped up and ready to go riding that tyhe ride is gonna be extra hard. Usually when I have to force myself to go or am not feelin 5 by 5 I ride like if got rockets strapped to me seat. The 3 days off is prolly what caused it, it happens to me too. I try to ride every day, not big rides. Sometimes its just a trip to the grocery store or something to stay loose(ha ha gammar police kiss my ass). Getting a few minutes on the bike on recovery days keeps me feeling good.
Old 08-04-06, 03:38 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by curiouskid55
Because your body has learned that workout and is doing its best to put out absolute minimum to do it. You are in a non-productive training rut. If you do the same ride the same way all the time it will be very difficult to show improvement, and very difficult to maintain expected performance when slight henderances occur.
You may have something there.

I DO favor that route a lot.
That's why I tackle some hills tomorrow for 35 miles and see what happens then,
Old 08-04-06, 03:43 PM
pedex
Banned

Originally Posted by Hipcycler
Just three lousy days though?

I was on vacation in May for a week off the bike and this didn't happen.

Although I will say that was much earlier in the season and I certainly was not in the shape I am in now....
better shape you get in, the worse that deal gets, 3 days off would cost me about 20-30 watts and take about 2 weeks to get it back, fitness like most things in life follows a curve which flattens out as you get closer to peak, classic case of diminishing returns

You arent even out of what I consider base mileage mode yet, your legs still cramp up when pushed even short distances, it probably isnt dietary either, its just you dont have the consistent miles in your legs which bring about changes like increased vascularization in your heart muscle and legs, takes lots of miles that are consistent and frequent or it wont happen.

Ive said it before and I will say it again, cycling is incredibly unforgiving, you cannot buy fitness or fake fitness, it comes only one way, and thats riding, and if anybody thinks a mere 3-5000 miles a year will get you much fitness your very mistaken. Riding as far as most physical activities go doesnt put that much strain on the body unless your really moving fast, so it takes a long long time to build fitness. It also uses your leg muscles which are quite big and usually fairly stubborn about getting stronger, it takes time.

This is why you wont see very many guys in their early 20's doing well in a big stage race very often, the guys in their late 20's to early 30's usually have anywhere from 50 to 200,000 more miles in their legs of accumulated fitness so to speak. Some of the bodily changes take years to get better, it is a slow process.

Last edited by pedex; 08-04-06 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-04-06, 03:47 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
ped....

Thanks for the feedback.

I do not question much of what you said, except for this actually, when you wrote--

If anybody thinks a mere 3-5000 miles a year will get you much fitness your very mistaken.

Actually, it's gotten me a lot of fitness, and I have the numbers and the doctor's reports from the last two years to prove it.

It has done wonders for this hip-replacement soon to be 48 year old!
Old 08-04-06, 03:59 PM
pedex
Banned

maybe from where you were originally, sure I can buy that, compared to people that have been riding 10k+ miles year in and year out for 3 plus years your just getting started, your "bike riding" fitness is just getting started

I was 35 years old, hadnt been on a bike since age 16, and I went right into messenger work and 200 miles a week, that was about all my body could take at the time. 200 miles a week now is barely maintenance miles for me. Took almost a year for me to get to the point where I could ride full speed everywhere for 5 days straight and not even think about it much less hurt anywhere. "Lots of fitness" is very relative. I too was faced with taking BP medicine at age 35 due to sheer lack of exercise and bad diet/lifestyle. Only difference is, I managed to get over what I call the fitness hump, that place where all the miles and hard work pay off. Being able to do things on the bike I used to not even think could be done. 1 mile 12% grades used to stop me halway up gasping for air, thats a sprint now and my HR wont even get over 135. Power wise I went from struggling to make 150 watts continuous to now im up around 360 or so, and most of that came well after having 20,000 miles in my legs in under 2 years. Fitness is one damn hungry beast to feed if you want to have it and keep it.
Old 08-04-06, 04:19 PM
maximum01

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro 2005 racer, Rideback Horozon audax/tourer, Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 520 (2020)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
was it a muggy day, ie high humidity? i find that makes a huge difference to my ride energy. if it's cool and dry i can fly through a ride. even 50% humidity has a way of sapping my strength and endurance.
Old 08-04-06, 05:19 PM
Sooner Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Second Mouse
I've had that happen to me just before I get a cold. I hope you're just having an off-day, because the colds usually suck big-time. Let us know how tomorrow's ride goes, Hip.
I rode poorly last Friday morning and someone in the pack suggested a cold coming on. Sure enough: Couldn't get out of bed Saturday. Got up Sunday and rode just find.
Old 08-04-06, 06:28 PM
godspiral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
too much beer not enough whiskey
Old 08-04-06, 08:32 PM
Kenal0

Bikes: Giant OCR 2, Flyte SRS 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about the opposite days when you just are dragging, do not feel like riding, drag yourself out on the bike and end up flying? I have just as many of those days as bad days. When I have days like you did, I start out by checking to make sure my brakes are not stuck, tires have air, nothing is wrong with the drivetrain and then I just give in that it will be a struggle.
Kenal0
Old 08-05-06, 07:32 AM
Hipcycler
OCP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kenal0
How about the opposite days when you just are dragging, do not feel like riding, drag yourself out on the bike and end up flying? I have just as many of those days as bad days. When I have days like you did, I start out by checking to make sure my brakes are not stuck, tires have air, nothing is wrong with the drivetrain and then I just give in that it will be a struggle.
Kenal0
...Indeed, those HAVE happened at times come to think of it. I wish they would happen a little more often but...

Heading out for a 35-miler with climbing in a few hours after some chore around the house. We'll see what happens and I'll discuss here in another thread later.

Have a good Sat. ride everyone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.