Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dropped on a no-drop club ride... hmm...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dropped on a no-drop club ride... hmm...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 12:26 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah people joke around and call me "Mr Toolbox", because I roll with 3 powerbars and gu packs, a leatherman, 3 tire levers, two tubes, 3 co2 cartridges, a schraeder/presta compatible co2 nozzle, allen wrench set, and an adjustable wrench. This is all held in a 100oz camelbak.

I hate seeing people stuck on the side of the road, for any reason.
Old 08-07-06, 01:15 PM
chancho

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That stuff happens with large groups sometimes. I was on a ride once with 25+ riders. We were stopped at a convenience store near Jersey City, NJ while waiting for the back of the group. I ran in to buy something (several others were buying things also). I was the last to come out of the store, and when I came out everyone had left. Fortunately my bike was still leaning against the wall where I left it. Since there were several newbies on the ride no one thought to wait until all the bikes against the wall had been claimed.
Old 08-07-06, 01:23 PM
maximum01

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro 2005 racer, Rideback Horozon audax/tourer, Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 520 (2020)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Don't take it personally. It probably feels like they did it on purpose because you're new but more than likely it was a misunderstanding or the guy near you didn't inform the front riders.

Group rding can be harsh at times tho, and it's worse if you get dropped because of a bonk or just not being able to handle the speed. The trick is to take it on the chin and remember that you're not special....everyone else who gets dropped or has a mechanical will be treated the same and probably feels the same.

Just make sure you're with a friendly group you feel comfortable with......and if it's not working just do solo rides until you find some better riders to pack ride with. Enjoy!
Old 08-07-06, 01:25 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
This is why I like riding solo....kinda hard to drop myself.
Love it.
Old 08-07-06, 02:00 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Have your mother call the group leader and have her tell him, 'I haven't seen him since he did that no-drop ride. No one has seen him since the 'no-drop' ride.'
Old 08-07-06, 02:32 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by eddiebrannan
jesus you roadies are so freakin uptight—all convinced you're lance in the tour everytime you go out for a group ride. dropping people in your own group. yuck.
sounds so incredibly offputting to me
Eddie I ride a road bike. That makes me a roadie.? Roadies come in all shapes and forms. As do racers. I think racers are more inclined to be more hard core .So what. Racers make up only a small portion of riders. No need to generalize here.

Last edited by cyclezealot; 08-07-06 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 06:57 PM
jamiegoesbiking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TCR
Did a long group ride last year up into the mountains. We got split up and somehow we left one guy behind. He came in a couple hours after the group. He's a good friend of mine and I didn't even realize it till after the ride. No problems, though. He's a rugged mountain man from Montana and was able to find his way back by himself. I think he was up there humping bears or something.

Geez, a couple hours? That seems like an awful long time!

I haven't ever riden with a group, although I could use a little advice from more experienced riders. I'd be more comfortable with one or two people rather than a giant group, though.
Old 08-07-06, 08:38 PM
PrfectHair4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
I completely understand that it's unseemly for a newbie to have a mechanical so early in a ride. This one was bizarre, though. Never had that happen to me before. I'll be checking the rims/beads every ride now, so lesson learned on that.

One of the reasons I was tentative to holler out that I had a mechanical problem was I was nervous and not wanting to look like a newb. I was also a bit embarrassed that it was so soon into the ride. I'm self-sufficient enough on the road that I didn't need help with the tire, so I'm not a novice at on-road problems.

I'm just wondering if on a ride where there are new folks. Perhaps keep a regular rider who knows the route near the back to sweep? Without a map or cue sheet, there was no way I could get back to them when I didn't know where they were turning next.

It sounds like I'm whining, but I did have a nice ride as I chased them the wrong way. Just want to help others for the future....

I would tell the group leader to make a map for everyone. If you had a map, it sounds like you would have caught back up since it was so early into the ride.
Old 08-07-06, 09:33 PM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CyLowe -

Speaking as a ride leader, it's up to each rider to communicate to the ride leader if there's a mechanical or if the group is getting gapped because of a hill or a traffic light. I *try* not to drop riders but sometimes it doesn't work out because riders in back never call out when they're having problems. Also, sometimes people fall behind on longer climbs. I don't consider that being dropped because the route is posted ahead of time and there are regroups along the way.

I'll always stop and stay back with a rider that's having problems (mechanical or otherwise) but if I don't know about it, I won't. Heck! I've even been dropped from my own rides due to a flat or some such nonsense!

SteveE
Old 08-07-06, 10:29 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KevinF
I am amazed at the concept of a group ride that doesn't even have cue sheets available. The only ride I've ever done without cue sheets literally had one turn (out-and-back on Virginia's Skyline Drive. Turn around whenever you feel like it). What's a new-to-the-area rider suppossed to do if they get left behind deep in the boonies?
I do a no-cue-sheet ride with a group twice a week.

We have a designated ride leader and a designated sweep for the ride. The sweep stays behind everybody.

When we get to a corner, we leave corner people behind to direct the group. They stay at the corner until the sweep comes by.

During the summer we average 30 people or so, and sometimes we've had 50, but we don't lose people. We do keep the tempo fairly slow (16-18 on the flats), and we regroup at the top of climbs.

When we get within about 5 miles of the end of the ride, it's not uncommon for a group to attack off the front and paceline back to the starting point, but if you do that and get lost, it's your own fault.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 08-08-06, 02:22 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I will say for the first time, I am presently riding with a group that demands knowing of each rider's whereabouts. First time I have ever experienced such. Not sure why,my communication skills in French is limited. ( My wife's French is excellant, wish her cycling woudl pick up and join us on group rides..)
But anyway. One member just turned off and went on his own. No one knew where he went, but myself. He told me he was 'allez maison,' I tried telling the group that.
Since his leaving was not sanctioned before the rides' start; when we all got to the next club's meeting; there was a real shouting match.
I think it's because we are a 'rondoneles' oriented group. ON Sundays' we are expected to complete a given course as a group. We sign in at some sponsoring villages' bike club as having completed a rondoneles.'
Racing is not it's focus. But, completing a given course is. Upon completion of each weeks rondoneles' a riders completion is noted on the bike association's web site.
First time I have ever experienced such behavior. As member of this bike association, our dues even cover insurance upon ourselves and our bikes.
Maybe, since we are insured by the association, the club leader must report our safe return. ?
My experience, everyone is so wrapped up in their own training, they hardly notice your whereabouts. Even when you are on a friendly basis.