Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Phonak rolls over, goes belly up

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 07:48 AM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Landis doping case prompts Phonak to fold.
Old 08-15-06, 08:01 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
...now we are up to three threads on the same subject...

Check the racing forum and the Tour de France forum...
Old 08-15-06, 08:04 AM
maximum01

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro 2005 racer, Rideback Horozon audax/tourer, Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 520 (2020)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
maybe if landis had the guts to own up this wouldn't have happened. now the selfish **** is attempting to discredit the french labs and the uci in the process.

it beggars belief how selfish one individual can be.
Old 08-15-06, 08:06 AM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
yeah, because Floyd was the first... no second... no third.... no.....NINTH Phonak rider in a doping scandal.

Floyd was the straw that broke Phonak's back. He may get some of the blame, but not all of it.
Old 08-15-06, 08:14 AM
maximum01

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro 2005 racer, Rideback Horozon audax/tourer, Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 520 (2020)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
"straw that broke the camel's back"...LOL...the guy was the overall Tour De France winner and was caught doping........make that the 100 ton heavy iron that broke the camel's back.

name me a doping scandal with more impact than that?
Old 08-15-06, 08:15 AM
stea1thviper

Bikes: custom built roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this makes me sad. ive been a phonak fan for a couple years (something to do with my fascination over the swiss) and now im going to have to find another team...
Old 08-15-06, 08:18 AM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
...now we are up to three threads on the same subject...

Check the racing forum and the Tour de France forum...
Guilty as charged. I searched *this* forum, but found nothing. Should have done a full-site search.

Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished!

Steve
Old 08-15-06, 08:19 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
yeah, because Floyd was the first... no second... no third.... no.....NINTH Phonak rider in a doping scandal.

Floyd was the straw that broke Phonak's back. He may get some of the blame, but not all of it.
Actually I believe the number I saw in VeloNews was 10th Phonak rider in the last 2.5 years.
Old 08-15-06, 08:29 AM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maximum01
"straw that broke the camel's back"...LOL...the guy was the overall Tour De France winner and was caught doping........make that the 100 ton heavy iron that broke the camel's back.

Well, no arguing this is the biggest, but it is remarkably similar to what happened to Liberty Seguros in the past year.

A certain ex-Postal rider named Heras who won the 2005 Vuelta a Espana was stripped of his title for testing positive in what is arguably the third biggest stage race (well, third among the three grand tours ).

Less than a year later, the sponsor Liberty Seguros drop it's sponsorship mid-season for implicated riders in the OP scandal.

What Phonak is doing looks pretty familiar, no?
Old 08-15-06, 08:30 AM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
Should have done a full-site search.

Old 08-15-06, 08:53 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by stea1thviper
this makes me sad. ive been a phonak fan for a couple years (something to do with my fascination over the swiss) and now im going to have to find another team...
Buy a lot of hearing aids??

Old 08-15-06, 08:56 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Well to correct myself cyclingnews.com has this line in their story...

Originally Posted by cyclingnews.com
After experiencing 11 doping cases in the last five years, Phonak...
Old 08-15-06, 08:59 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97

+12
Old 08-15-06, 09:02 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by maximum01

Ben Johnson
Old 08-15-06, 09:37 AM
kosherdave
Tri Coach/UltraMarathoner

Bikes: 2006 Madone 5.2 SL, some 60s Schwinn thing for crusin at Peak's Island, and an old single spead commuter (schiwn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not to be nitpicky, but Phonak is not folding, their team is. That's a pretty big distincition ;-)
Old 08-15-06, 09:42 AM
xerocoma

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet, Giant mountain bike and a Cannondale Adventure 400 hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm fairly certain that Phonak had already announced, before the TDF, that they were ending their sponsorship of the team... it was causing shareholder/customer confusion regarding what the company makes & sells.. hearing aids vice cycling gear... Phonak had already decide to put its advertising dollars towards sponsoring concerts and other events much more in step with its products.

don't kill me if I'm wrong about this....
Old 08-15-06, 09:59 AM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The charges against Floyd are bogus. But, it doesn't matter. The press is gullible. Most of our Forum members are gullible. So, there is no need for Floyd to ever have a hearing. If one French lab tech says you are guilty, no proof is necessary. No hearing is necessary. Accused and guilty are the exact same word in French, and so no evidence need be examined.

But, why would any respectible law-abiding corporation want to sponsor ANY professional sports team? Whether the sport is cycling, football, baseball, hockey...it is guaranteed that somehow most of the public will end up unhappy sooner or later. The team will lose most of its games. Or a player will get caught doping. Or a player will be accused of have sex with a stripper. Eventually, every team will have an unhappy public.

But, there are possibilities for sponsorship. The company that makes EPO could sponsor the San Francisco Giants. Or, the Trojan condom company could sponsor the Duke lacrosse team. A company that trains seeing-eye dogs for the blind could sponsor the Houston Astros.
Old 08-15-06, 10:01 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by xerocoma
Phonak had already decide to put its advertising dollars towards sponsoring concerts and other events much more in step with its products.
now there's a business development plan, promote your brand and create demand for the product at the same time , genius!
Old 08-15-06, 10:03 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
The charges against Floyd are bogus.
4 positive tests, and the charges are bogus? Now he may ultimately be cleared after the USADA hearing (although I wouldn't hold my breath) but its absurd to say the charges are bogus.
Old 08-15-06, 10:24 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by xerocoma
I'm fairly certain that Phonak had already announced, before the TDF, that they were ending their sponsorship of the team... it was causing shareholder/customer confusion regarding what the company makes & sells.. hearing aids vice cycling gear... Phonak had already decide to put its advertising dollars towards sponsoring concerts and other events much more in step with its products.

don't kill me if I'm wrong about this....
Yes Phonak was no longer going to be the title sponsor but now the team is folding not just looking for another sponsor.
Old 08-15-06, 10:25 AM
azwhelan

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
4 positive tests, and the charges are bogus? Now he may ultimately be cleared after the USADA hearing (although I wouldn't hold my breath) but its absurd to say the charges are bogus.
I wouldn't say absurd. No court in the US would ever convict Floyd based on the information I've read because there is no motive. Floyd knew he was going to be tested after the stage so he's either a patsy or the dumbest person on the planet. Every expert is saying there is no benefit to taking Testosterone for one day. He tested clean 5 times before and 2 times after but he has one test come back with 11:1 ratio. I'm no expert but I do work in the Pharmaceutical field and drugs just do not leave the system that quickly. Wouldn't some trace show up in later tests? How many people have access to his sample after he makes a deposit? You could make plenty of arguments for their to be a motive to tant his sample from anti-americanisam to gambling.

I'm not a conspiracy type person but there is plenty of reasonable doubt here and if I was siting on a jury I wouldn't convict the guy. Now the courts in France don't work the same way as here so who knows what happens now. But for me I'm not ready to crucify him just yet.
Old 08-15-06, 10:28 AM
jamiewilson3

Bikes: Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
now there's a business development plan, promote your brand and create demand for the product at the same time , genius!
It is a great trick developed by the tobacco industry....give out free cigarettes and dip to get them hooked on your product at events that you sponsor. Make the event have proceeds going to charity and get the brownie points for that.
Old 08-15-06, 10:28 AM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Four positive tests? I've seen many cases of folks being reported to have so-called positive tests for drugs. Happens at jobs. Happens when they get arrested for DUI. Happens when they are in child custody disputes.

And, after hearings were conducted, testimony taken, and a detailed look at the lab and its procedures completed, many of these "positive" tests turned out not to be true. The technician didn't follow proper procedures. The equipment was not properly calibrated. Equipment was contaminated. Sample were switched. Samples got contaminated. And, some of these errors occurred at leading "famous" labs, and at well respected hospital labs.

The Houston Police crime lab got audited. Turned out they were making LOTS of mistakes in DNA cases. The mistakes were caused by undertrained techs, mistrained techs, poor supervision, a dirty, messy lab. Poor procedures. Unwillingness to learn and follow correct procedures.

And, in Houston, people went to prison based on bad DNA tests. Lives were ruined. It has taken three years for the lab to clean up the mess, replace the incompetent staff with new staff, and regain certification. It will take much longer before anyone will trust any results from that lab.

But, most Forum members do not need to know anything about the lab that did Floyd's results. They don't need to know that this is the same lab that was the subject of a scathing investigatory report just three months ago for its failure to correctly follow required testing protocols. Forum members don't need evidence. If they read something on the internet, it must be true. Accused and guilty are the exact same word in French. Aren't they the exact same word in English?

Telling a lie four times does not make it true. I can guarantee one thing that will NEVER happen in Floyd's case. The director of the French lab, and the technician that did the analysis will NEVER sit in an American court and swear under oath that Floyd doped.

America has strong perjury laws, and although the director of the French lab has been caught, over and over, lying about American cyclists, and leaking false reports to the press about American cyclists, he is not an idiot. He will use the French press to do his dirty work. He will never set foot in an American courtroom...liars tend to also be cowards.

Last edited by alanbikehouston; 08-15-06 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-15-06, 10:44 AM
bormoglot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In some sence it is not bad. Perhaps now teams and sponsors will do more screening themselves to weed out cheaters like Landis. Now it is clear, even if your cheater is going to win, death penalty for the team will follow...
Old 08-15-06, 11:16 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by azwhelan
I wouldn't say absurd. No court in the US would ever convict Floyd based on the information I've read because there is no motive. Floyd knew he was going to be tested after the stage so he's either a patsy or the dumbest person on the planet. Every expert is saying there is no benefit to taking Testosterone for one day. He tested clean 5 times before and 2 times after but he has one test come back with 11:1 ratio. I'm no expert but I do work in the Pharmaceutical field and drugs just do not leave the system that quickly. Wouldn't some trace show up in later tests? How many people have access to his sample after he makes a deposit? You could make plenty of arguments for their to be a motive to tant his sample from anti-americanisam to gambling.

I'm not a conspiracy type person but there is plenty of reasonable doubt here and if I was siting on a jury I wouldn't convict the guy. Now the courts in France don't work the same way as here so who knows what happens now. But for me I'm not ready to crucify him just yet.
Yep...spot on.

Even the lowest guy in a company subject to drug testing has his B sample sent to a second lab.

I hadn't thought about the gambling aspect...interesting.

These tests go through so many hands, it's ridiculous. A former racing buddy, now a lawyer, was laughing saying he'd love to get this case.
But in the US...

The big problem is that, since he was at or under the 4:1 ratio, they did not test him for synthetic testosterone, so we don't know...

But if I was his lawyer, I'd damn well find out.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 08-15-06 at 11:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.