Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A very tiny mid 1970s Motobecane - Italian Crank Swap

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-21, 09:38 AM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 61 Posts

Yet another project....

I picked up this ultra-small early 1970s Motobecane Nomade for my son. I have some parts that I think would look great on it and hop it up a bit, all in keeping with the C&V spirit of course (though I have some time as he's too small to ride it at this point).

I'm hoping to use this equally tiny Gipiemme 115 crank but that means switching from cottered to square taper. That's always interesting, especially on a French bike, but in this case I think even more so given the size of the bottom bracket.

I took a quick look around online and didn't see anything off the shelf (or otherwise) that would make it easy. My current thought is maybe just have a new shaft machined to my specifications and just use the existing bottom bracket.

Curious if anyone has any other thoughts?

Or if anyone has run into this before? (ha ha.. I know, I know... but it never hurts to ask, right?)

Old 09-08-21, 09:49 AM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Phil says they make cartridges for a 63mm wide shell. That’s only 1mm off on either side from yours. The Phil cups are shoulderless so you’ll be able to tighten it just fine.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 09-08-21, 09:58 AM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Oh really? Thanks a ton for that info C9H13N ! I'll check those Phil ones out. That would be a really nice solution... especially if the threading matches.
Old 09-08-21, 10:18 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Just try a new spindle with the existing cups. It'll probably work.

I had a little 500A Flandria like that but never messed with the crank.
Old 09-08-21, 11:57 AM
CriticalThought

Very cool bike thumpism ! Thanks for sharing that pic. Mine's even smaller (450A)... I really need a picture of it with my Grand Jubile to give a sense of how small it is.

I haven't seen any 63mm or even close, cartridges online that could possibly work (threading issues aside).

I think you're right that just looking for a square taper spindle might be my best bet. I found this one for about $12... and for that price I might as well order it even if I can't get dimensions & specs in advance.

Old 09-08-21, 01:36 PM
CriticalThought

Well, it turns out I have a 122mm square taper Nervar spindle kicking around from another project. Even looks like the cups are the same size and if I'm lucky, the threading is the same (though I guess I don't need the cups).

The obvious issue is that the races on the spindle are much closer together on this tiny bike. They're about 52mm apart on the tiny bike spindle vs about 60mm apart on the Nervar square taper one.

Not sure if I have enough threading and offset to play with in order to account for those 8mm.

I think I'll give mocking it up a shot, just to see how far off things are and how much room I have to play with. We shall see...

And.... a couple of bonus pictures because why not?

Old 09-09-21, 08:38 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalThought
They're about 52mm apart on the tiny bike spindle vs about 60mm apart on the Nervar square taper one.

Not sure if I have enough threading and offset to play with in order to account for those 8mm.
Use a pair of (or more sufficient to add up to) 4mm freewheel spacers - metal ones.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 09-09-21, 10:08 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,757 Times in 966 Posts
The Nervar, I don't think that's going to work. The race spacing and tapers are closer to Stronglight and Campy thin cup spindle length.

Maybe a reagular Campy spindle would work with thin cups.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 09-09-21 at 10:12 AM.
Likes For Mr. 66: