Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it legal or illegal to ride on the sidewalk in your area?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Is it legal to ride on the sidewalk in your area?
Yes
55.56%
No
44.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Is it legal or illegal to ride on the sidewalk in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-23, 06:21 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
We're now at 56.52% legal vs 48.48% illegal. OP is hoping to refute the notion that sidewalk riding is illegal in many places. Can we get him to 80% as in his tire pressure thread?
Yeah, in most states bicycles are considered vehicles and may not be ridden on sidewalks, many states make exceptions for children. Some municipalities further restrict access. Check the codes, InterWeb opinions aren't binding...
Old 05-23-23, 06:22 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
It varies from place to place around town.
Old 05-23-23, 07:14 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
[X] Permitted in some places

Here, bicycles are allowed on sidewalks, except in the downtown area:

SIDEWALKS - TO BIKE, OR NOT TO BIKE, THAT IS THE QUESTION

Continuing on our hot topic of the week, today we discuss the eternal question, "Can you bike on a sidewalk in Appleton?"

The answer is YES and NO.

YES - The City of Appleton allows bikes to be ridden on sidewalks throughout the city, except in the downtown (see below).

Wisconsin state statute 346.94 (1) allows local authorities to permit bike riding on city sidewalks. The City of Appleton allows this under Ordinance 19.183:

Sec. 19-183. Riding bicycle on sidewalk.
(a) Bicyclists exercising due care may operate their
bicycle upon the sidewalk, except on the sidewalks on
College Avenue between Drew Street and Badger Avenue
(this exception shall not apply to law enforcement officers
operating designed police bicycles).
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person operating a
bicycle on the sidewalk to attempt to pass another person
going in the same direction on the walk without giving an
audible signal as warning and until it becomes evident that
the person so warned is aware of the approach of such
person operating the bicycle. Pedestrians shall at all times
have the right-of-way upon sidewalks and, if necessary, the
person operating such bicycle shall vacate the sidewalk or
dismount and walk the bicycle to prevent an accident. Any
person operating a bicycle upon the sidewalk must have the
bicycle under control at all times.

NO - Ordinance 19.83 (a) prohibits bikes from being ridden on the sidewalks of College Avenue between Badger Avenue (west end) and Drew Street (east end). A city summons may be issued ($20 without a court date/$162.70 with a court date) at the officer's discretion.
Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post
Old 05-23-23, 07:16 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
During the Jeffrey Dahmer period my neighborhood had t-shirts that said "Chicago: where the weak are killed and eaten." Just this weekend someone riding on the sidewalk in a seedier part of town was beaten with a construction sign, then his own bike, pretty seriously. I hate it when bicyclists charge up the sidewalk (which is illegal here) driving pedestrians to scatter, as I saw on Sunday. Their alternative was to ride the wrong way on a one-way street or go a block farther, so they chose themselves over others. But in my neighborhood we don't beat them. Yet. Even the pacifist in me leans slightly that direction, however. And we wonder why people hate bikes. Even I hate bikes sometimes.

Last edited by mdarnton; 05-24-23 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-23-23, 09:39 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Used to be illegal. Then a 10 y.o. rode off a sidewalk from behind a security fence directly in front of an oncoming motor vehicle and got squished. The police filed a report that the fatal accident was the fault of the 10 y.o. because riding on sidewalks was illegal. The next city council meeting the mom choked out through huge sobs that how dare the police say the accident was her son's fault? The city council made riding on sidewalks legal.

Yeah, yeah, I know. If you legally ride on the sidewalk but roll right out in front of a car from behind a fence, you're still going to get squished.
Old 05-23-23, 10:26 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
What's the point of this thread?

Why doesn't the OP just check their own local municipal by-laws?

How does any answer here help another individual? Convince them to move to another town otherwise?

Really?

Pointless. Yes, that is my opinion.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 05-23-23, 11:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
What's the point of this thread?

Why doesn't the OP just check their own local municipal by-laws?

How does any answer here help another individual? Convince them to move to another town otherwise?

Really?

Pointless. Yes, that is my opinion.
I suspect this thread was started because OP got offended in A&S helmet thread. IIRC he posted he doesn't wear a helmet because he only rides on the sidewalk. I posted that riding on the sidewalk was illegal in "many if not most" areas. He seemed to have trouble understanding that many is not the same as all. I don't think this thread has turned out as he hoped.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-23-23, 12:39 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
In Ohio, municipalities determine the legality of bicycling on the sidewalk. It's illegal in my city (except for children's bicycles, defined as being under thirty inches at the handlebars and operating at less than five miles per hour). I've never heard of it being enforced.
Old 05-23-23, 09:28 PM
rc5781

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I suspect this thread was started because OP got offended in A&S helmet thread. IIRC he posted he doesn't wear a helmet because he only rides on the sidewalk. I posted that riding on the sidewalk was illegal in "many if not most" areas. He seemed to have trouble understanding that many is not the same as all. I don't think this thread has turned out as he hoped.
I love how you have put the onus on me to prove you right. I'm happy with anything equal to or above the current 50%.
Likes For rc5781:
Old 05-23-23, 09:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I would be baffled at the sidewalks in his area...I mean soft rubber sidewalks must be 1. tough to ride on 2. a lot of money to maintain and 3. actually kinda neat.

People who might wear safety gear only at certain points while doing the same activity in the same way just baffle the heck out me. I can see the I won't wear one crowd and the I will wear one crowd but I don't get the I will not wear one in certain places but might in others as if a crash in that one area is better than another? I mean your head is still your head so if you believe that device will help somewhere why wouldn't it help elsewhere?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-23-23, 09:45 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Permitted on all sidewalks, except in business districts.
Same in City & County of Honolulu, except also prohibited anywhere in Waikiki (and that is enforced).

scott s.
Old 05-24-23, 12:29 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
It’s illegal everywhere here in Japan, but it’s one of those few laws which are seldom enforced. Lots of cyclists on Japan’s sidewalks are old enough to remember the days of radio, and are not the kind of people you want riding in traffic.
Old 05-24-23, 01:50 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
A girl I work with is afraid of the cars and thinks she is well within her rights to ride on the sidewalk. I’m not gonna tell her no
Old 05-24-23, 02:06 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Where I live bicycles are not allowed on the side walk but it is not really enforced. Luckily around here there are many paved/non paved trails as well as streets with bike lanes. Sadly this move to trails did not get much traction until 2014 when a local pro rider Ellen Watters was killed while on a training ride by a vehicle AFTER which the govt passed a 1m passing law named Ellen's Law.

“If I had to die for the roads to be safer for other cyclists, then I would be OK with that.”
-Ellen Watters
Old 05-24-23, 03:01 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
I don't think it's illegal here but it's pretty much frowned upon unless you are a kid travelling at walking pace.
But then it's also frowned upon to be cycling on a bike path, by the numerous pedestrians that shouldn't be there.
Old 05-24-23, 03:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rc5781
I love how you have put the onus on me to prove you right. I'm happy with anything equal to or above the current 50%.

You don't really understand how polling works, do you? What kind of sampling of local ordinances do you think you're getting here?

You would need to do a deep dive into local ordinances to answer this in the U.S. as sidewalks are usually regulated locally. If all Shelby said was "many if not most", you've lost that argument by any reasonable definition of the word " many".

Ride the way you want wearing whatever you want, no one cares. But I don't think you are going to argue everyone else into liking your choices.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-24-23, 05:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Yeah, it's hard to communicate when folks don't understand the simplest of words.
Old 05-24-23, 05:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Shouldn't this thread be moved to A&S? Especially if it's really just a transfer of an argument from the helmet thread.

I'm not a fan of sidewalk riding because statistically it's not safer than road riding
​​​(you can get hit at corners, crossings, and driveways), but I think people generally know better than I do whether it's appropriate where they ride . I only argue the point when they assert it's safer generally.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-24-23, 07:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
I'm happy with anything equal to or above the current 50%.
Why?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-24-23, 07:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
sometimes

https://www.bwglaw.com/legal-article...could%20result.

https://www.massbike.org/laws

https://www.mass.gov/doc/laws-for-bi...lists/download

https://www.sweeneymerrigan.com/blog...massachusetts/
Old 05-24-23, 07:55 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Why?
Seems numbers are as baffling as words.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-24-23, 08:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Seems numbers are as baffling as words.

Might be fun to compile statistics on how many places where sidewalk riding is "legal" don't actually have sidewalks.
Old 05-24-23, 08:50 AM
rc5781

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Any yeah, I know this poll doesn't prove anything, but I was curious to see what numbers would pop up.
Old 05-24-23, 11:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Any yeah, I know this poll doesn't prove anything, but I was curious to see what numbers would pop up.

So, if you know it doesn't "prove" anything, why would you care whether it shows 50% or better?
What was it you claimed that Shelby was making you "prove"?

I don't mind a good backpedal, but at least be honest about it.
Old 05-24-23, 11:28 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
According to a quick search, it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk here (in GA) over the age of 12. Otherwise cyclists are expected to adhere to the same rights and responsibilities on public roads as motorized vehicles.

Originally Posted by squirtdad
the real question is: is it enforced
I know this is a bit of a side to the topic at hand...The aspect that I hate about not being "sure" of the legality and the lack of enforcement is that how often you see it used as a fishing tactic for police to pull someone that is otherwise doing nothing, but suspicious enough for them to 'want a reason'. I see this manner of crud on those TV police shows and it sort of burns my hiney that we call ourselves free and yet have to put up with **** like that.
Likes For Juan Foote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.