Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another Swiss Gem - A Very Light Ochsner Beauty

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-23, 04:53 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 61 Posts

Anyone familiar with the hit (in Switzerland) film from 1978... Die Schweizermacher? If not, and if you're keen on Swiss culture you should check it out (the highest-grossing Swiss film of all-time and remains one of the most successful Swiss movies). Anyway... my latest acquitistion, this beautiful Oschner reminds me of that film.

I happened upon this bike recently at a way more than fair price and couldn't resist. I'll put some more pictures up when I'm able, but these are the "as found" pics per standard "garage door pose".

I'm really looking forward to cleaning her up. She's going to compliment my Mondias and Cilo pretty nicely. I've been told she's Italian made, but from what I understand, the "reds & blues" were made in Switzerland (by Royal?) and the rare chrome variants were made in Italy. ( jjhabbs ?)

More on this one when time permits, but I couldn't resist posing the "just brought her home" pics.

(and yes, I know... the lack of a quill stem is a bit disappointing. We'll rectify that as soon as we can.)

At least it's all a (mishmash of) campy parts!

Likes For CriticalThought:
Old 10-10-23, 05:12 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

seat stay plugs appear to be Cinelli/Columbus Nr. 509 -

-----
Old 10-10-23, 05:53 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Lovely frame, rides very nicely, yet nimble and quick. It is Columbus SL tubing, has an Italian threaded BB (that or swiss, right hand threads on both sides, 70mm shell) Nice find.
Old 10-10-23, 06:56 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,913 Times in 1,143 Posts
CriticalThought
They were indeed a Royal build and imported by Othon who lived north of Chicago. He was also one of the major importers of Campy parts during the late 70's and early 80's I have owned two of these fine steeds and one is currently in the process of being used in the "Horror" thread, after which it may go to the chrome platers or a bit of an upgrade. You will not be disappointed with the ride, and yes, it needs a quill stem. Smiles, MH
Old 10-11-23, 06:21 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,012 Times in 1,783 Posts
Very nice and yes, as stated, the red ones are SL tubing. I found one locally I refurbished and then passed on. I mixed up some different Testors paints to get something close to this for touching it up. Forgot what all I used.

Two threads I started for info:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1226263-help-me-finish-ochsner-what-color-cockpit.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...r-cockpit.html
Old 10-11-23, 10:04 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Now that's cool. I'd have been all over that, my size and I've always wanted one due to the name, as my name is incorporated into it. Just swap in some period correct bits and you've got something erste Klasse.
Old 10-11-23, 10:38 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 820 Posts
I had a blue one for 30 years and lots of miles. It now belongs to a nephew. Nice ride, and it fits him well.
Old 10-11-23, 04:41 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 651 Posts
congrats on a nice bike
Likes For georges1:
Old 10-11-23, 04:45 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 61 Posts
Royal Cycles of Stafa, Switzerland. Handmade frame builders.

So here is something I'd like to learn more about now that I have this Ochsner... In doing some research online and in our forums, I've come to understand that Othon Ochsner commissioned the Swiss builders, Royal Cycles in Stafa, to build the Columbus Aelle and Columbus SL tubed versions of this bike, though not the chrome framed version. I'm completely unfamiliar with this builder and would love to learn more about them (especially given the really high quality of these builds).

The other reference to Royal Cycles that keeps coming up is that they built the bikes for the 1982 Swiss Pro Team "Royal - Wrangler" sponsored by the denim jeans maker. Who were these folks in Stafa making such beautiful frames? And why did they seem to only exist in 1982? Does anyone have any background on them? In poking around online, I can't find anything aside from only one or two examples of Royal bikes, only one of which wasn't clearly a team bike. And these Royal frames seem identical to the SL versions of the Ochsner frames. Campagnolo dropouts & fork ends. Cinelli bottom bracket shell and seat stay plugs (thanks juvela ).

Can anyone shed any light here on who Royal Cycles of Stafa, Switzerland really were? It seems pretty wild that they materialized out of thin Swiss air in 1982, made these amazing bikes using Columbus tubing and Cinelli & Campagnolo parts, and then disappeared without a trace afterwards... anyone have any insight?

(One thing I did learn is that Ochsner is a common Swiss surname, meaning one who handles oxen... kind of like Shepherd is one who handles sheep... hence presumably the headbadge/logo of the ox of Ochsner's firm.)

There's also a famous Swiss band called Patent Ochsner... which are pretty good and who named themselves after the label on the ubiquitous rubbish bin lids seen all over the place over there... hilarious.

Likes For CriticalThought:
Old 10-11-23, 04:51 PM
VtwinVince

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Yes, Ochs means Ox, I've told people that my entire life. There's also a big mountain in the Swiss alps by that name.