Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Runner’s “high”, Cyclist’s “high”?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Runner’s “high”, Cyclist’s “high”?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 10:44 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
If that’s what it takes, this bag of salt is out.
Most of my past strength training experience has been on machines and I always hated the experience. That being said, I started doing things fairly recently that compliment/improve riding, like squats, deadlifts, lunge pattern movements, weighted box steps, various stability exercises, etc. I won't say that I enjoy them nearly as much as cycling, but I do find the experience rewarding...I dunno if that's those endorphins at work or I'm just happy about building my cycling endurance.

That being said, I'm not doing hundreds of them a session. I'm doing heavy weights and 3-5 sets of 5 reps for each movement. It's usually only 30ish minutes a session and only twice a week...I think any more than that, and I probably wouldn't enjoy it very much at all.
Old 01-07-24, 10:57 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
Most of my past strength training experience has been on machines and I always hated the experience. That being said, I started doing things fairly recently that compliment/improve riding, like squats, deadlifts, lunge pattern movements, weighted box steps, various stability exercises, etc. I won't say that I enjoy them nearly as much as cycling, but I do find the experience rewarding...I dunno if that's those endorphins at work or I'm just happy about building my cycling endurance.

That being said, I'm not doing hundreds of them a session. I'm doing heavy weights and 3-5 sets of 5 reps for each movement. It's usually only 30ish minutes a session and only twice a week...I think any more than that, and I probably wouldn't enjoy it very much at all.
My knees won’t let me do heavy leg presses or squats.
Old 01-08-24, 03:13 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
I suppose then that sniffing molten paraffin is another reason immersive waxing should be more popular…