Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Intermittent fasting news was not good today

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Intermittent fasting news was not good today

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 01:17 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Close. Ordered rank to occurrence (in this case, to death). Proportional hazards is, um, proportional, and Cox realized that proportionality is a strong enough restriction that you can get the risk ratios even without needing the underlying absolute risk. I *think* I might be one of the few professors who forces students to sit through a lecture where I do a proportional hazards estimation with two covariates on the blackboard by hand. Like most survival analysis techniques, it handles censored observations pretty well.
Ah. The details are way over my tiny head, but I suspected it had something to do with survival curves.
Old 03-20-24, 05:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Link to an older thread that I started about intermittent fasting, with some info that some here may or may not appreciate

https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...t-fasting.html
That thread "only" has 120 posts. There's also a larger thread from 2018 with 268 posts:
https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...t-fasting.html

This current thread certainly has some interesting posts.
Old 03-20-24, 05:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I became interested in nutrition back in '70, in my hippie days, when a standard greeting was, "What are you eating now?" I've seen and participated in some serious craziness. Ever had carrot top soup? No? You've really missed something. My breakfast for a while was steel-cut oats, soaked overnight, no milk. Don't want to ruin the nutrition by heating it! It was quick though.

Nutrition is still interesting, isn't it?
Old 03-21-24, 01:40 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
No, most don't if they eat 3 meals/day.

For example, I do intermittent fasting for several reasons. First, I try not eat after dinner (usually after 7 PM) to help control my acid reflux. , Second, unless I'm going out for a long morning ride or am traveling, I usually do not eat breakfast. This results in a 8 hours of allowed food consumption and a 16 hour fast, from 7 PM to 11 AM, generally 4-5 days/week. I find that this regimen helps me control my weight (largely because time rules help with self-control over snacking) and my blood sugar, which previously was on a trend towards type 2 diabetes, even though I exercised extensively (say, 7-9k miles/year on the bike) and was not overweight (5"10, 145-155#, depending).
Most humans don't have a period in the day where they say don't eat 1 hour before sleep and then sleep 7 hours? I find that hard to believe. Do most people snack after dinner every day?
Old 03-21-24, 01:42 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I became interested in nutrition back in '70, in my hippie days, when a standard greeting was, "What are you eating now?" I've seen and participated in some serious craziness. Ever had carrot top soup? No? You've really missed something. My breakfast for a while was steel-cut oats, soaked overnight, no milk. Don't want to ruin the nutrition by heating it! It was quick though.

Nutrition is still interesting, isn't it?
I soak my oats in water overnight and prepare them with things the next day. No milk either. No heating, faster and some nutrition as you say is lost when heating.
Old 03-21-24, 03:24 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Most humans don't have a period in the day where they say don't eat 1 hour before sleep and then sleep 7 hours? I find that hard to believe. Do most people snack after dinner every day?
How does that relate to an 8 hour time restricted eating window? Sounds more like a 16 hour window to me. Or have I missed your point here?
Old 03-21-24, 06:56 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by PeteHski
How does that relate to an 8 hour time restricted eating window? Sounds more like a 16 hour window to me. Or have I missed your point here?
Ah, I misunderstood, they only eat during an 8-hour span, not that they don't eat for 8 hours.
Old 03-21-24, 07:42 AM
PeteHski

Ah, I misunderstood, they only eat during an 8-hour span, not that they don't eat for 8 hours.
That’s it, you got it.
Old 03-21-24, 07:55 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Correct.
Old 03-21-24, 08:18 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I soak my oats in water overnight and prepare them with things the next day. No milk either. No heating, faster and some nutrition as you say is lost when heating.
OMG that's still going on. The ability to make and preserve fire was a huge turning in human nutrition. It turns out that cooking food releases more nutrients which in turn meant that after fire, humans could eat less which meant less time foraging, which meant more time thinking. Most health faddists point to a small loss in vitamin content in cooked foods, true, but neglect to mention how much more digestible cooked foods are, which means we get more energy from them. Also many foods are almost indigestible raw, like potatoes. "a fragment of underdone potato?" - Scrooge. I can spend time fooling around with this because in a few minutes I'm going to eat beans with corn tortilla and fixings for breakfast, all cooked. All of that almost inedible raw. That said, when I was hitching across Yugoslavia with no money at all, I ate raw field corn stolen out of the peoples' fields in the night. Luckily it was corn season, but then I'm always lucky.
Old 03-21-24, 09:37 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Oatfiberboy.
Likes For RChung:
Old 03-21-24, 10:34 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
That said, when I was hitching across Yugoslavia with no money at all, I ate raw field corn stolen out of the peoples' fields in the night. Luckily it was corn season, but then I'm always lucky.
If it is true sweet corn, it can be delicious when raw.
Old 03-21-24, 12:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

If it is true sweet corn, it can be delicious when raw.
Croatian corn is the best.
Old 03-23-24, 07:19 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by emilyhlib
I really want to try intermittent fasting
Don't let this one flawed and overly hyped study stop you.
Old 03-23-24, 07:42 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Is it the study itself that is hyped or just the media reporting on it? Were the authors specifically looking to demonstrate an adverse link or was it something that simply popped out of the data that they couldn’t just ignore? I suspect more the latter as I got the impression that the adverse link was a surprise.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-23-24, 07:51 AM
RH Clark

Is it the study itself that is hyped or just the media reporting on it? Were the authors specifically looking to demonstrate an adverse link or was it something that simply popped out of the data that they couldn’t just ignore? I suspect more the latter as I got the impression that the adverse link was a surprise.
The doctor pretty much sums up my thoughts on it in the video I linked.

I don't think there were any surprises for the designers of the study. All medias love hype and controversy.
Old 03-23-24, 07:59 AM
MoAlpha
• —

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUWSlsivFhM
If intermittent fasting is all that, and I’m not saying it isn’t, I’m sure you can do better than a chiropractor who flogs keto on social media for a living.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 03-23-24 at 08:03 AM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-23-24, 08:06 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Based on the consensus among real experts, which was and probably still is in favor of calorie restriction as a means of promoting longevity, I suspect the authors were surprised.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-23-24, 08:15 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
If intermittent fasting is all that, and I’m not saying it isn’t, I’m sure you can do better than a chiropractor who flogs keto on social media for a living.
I can't guess why you assign more credence to this study than it clearly deserves, but I don't have any inclination and do not wish to spend any time arguing with you over it. Hope you have a nice day.
Old 03-23-24, 08:35 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
i'm gonna say the same things I probably said in that disaster of a thread by that one dude linked above, current peer reviewed evidence demonstrates no real difference between intermittent fasting and standard calorie restriction, so it's really a matter of folks figuring out what works best for themselves. There's a lot of pseudoscience and unproven claims made regarding IF, much like other fads there's a lot of misinformation spread to overhype it
Old 03-23-24, 08:37 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
The flaw is what? It is at variance with your expectation biases?

I'll wait for the peer review process before concluding anything, but unless there actually is a real flaw in the statistical analysis, you'll have to come up with something slightly more compelling than a sales-pitch video from someone who isn't medically qualified.
Old 03-23-24, 08:50 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The flaw is what? It is at variance with your expectation biases?

I'll wait for the peer review process before concluding anything, but unless there actually is a real flaw in the statistical analysis, you'll have to come up with something slightly more compelling than a sales-pitch video from someone who isn't medically qualified.

The study is flawed for many reasons clearly explained in the video I posted which you hold bias against for some reason. No one in that study was medically qualified. It was performed as a survey, relying completely on anecdotal information with no specificity as to diet or any other possible contributing factors.

Would you still contribute the groups heart troubles to IM fasting if you knew most of them were obese smokers? What if the majority ate mostly fast food?

There are multiple scientific peer reviewed studies showing many health benefits of IM fasting, yet for some reason you prefer to give credit to an unreviewed anecdotal study with clear issues. I may be biased toward IM fasting but it's because I am following the clearest scientific evidence available. Why are you biased?

Last edited by RH Clark; 03-23-24 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-23-24, 09:01 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

.... relying completely on antidotal information .....
Perhaps the word you are looking for is "anecdotal" ?
Old 03-23-24, 09:05 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Perhaps the word you are looking for is "anecdotal" ?
Thanks, spell check and bad eyes converged against me.
Old 03-23-24, 09:09 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

My "bias" is to allow the established scientific review processes (peer review, publication in a reputable journal) do its thing.

As for the results being preliminary, that is what happens at conferences where people present new, unpublished findings. Conferences are also, more informally, part of the antagonistic review process, because people can argue about what is presented, attack it, reject it, and hopefully improve what survives critical analyses.
Likes For Polaris OBark:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.