Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Maximizing my shorter stature as a cyclist

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Maximizing my shorter stature as a cyclist

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-23, 10:55 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I had a cycling buddy with similar body proportions. Even though he was taller than me, he could barely clear the top tube on the same size frame as me. How's your bike setup? I'm guessing you have a smaller frame, but extra long stem?

To be honest, your body type sounds perfect for Olympic weightlifting or powerlifting. Low ROM on squats and deadlifts and big upper body to bench press. I bet people at gym would be envious of your proportions! The grass is always greener on the other side I guess!
I'm riding a frame that is one size too big for my legs, but on the small size for my torso.

And yep, I was a powerlifter. Never serious, but I was born to bench press.
Old 09-21-23, 11:07 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Try being 6' with the legs of someone 5'7" and the upper body of someone 6'4"...!!! No leverage and the aerodynamics of a brick!!
Yeah I got the long torso thing too. I used to have a buddy my height (6'2") who was all legs. We could have swapped legs and both be proportionally correct.

OP has significant cycling advantages over most people IMO. Better power/weight, smaller draft behind him, lighter bikes.

Grass is always greener, I suppose.
Old 09-21-23, 11:33 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
I'm riding a frame that is one size too big for my legs, but on the small size for my torso.

And yep, I was a powerlifter. Never serious, but I was born to bench press.
I still maintain a weightlifting routine. Though I find it a double edge sword. It gives me more muscle power on the bike, but I also think it's preventing me from cutting weight. That, I enjoy eating too much good food!

I'm not trying to PR though, I like to maintain a simple 225 bench, 315 squat and 405 deadlift, mobility stretching and body workouts like pull-ups and dips. A lot of people on this forum have mentioned strength training isn't necessary, but I almost feel it's the only way for a smaller cyclists to stay competitive especially when getting closer to the half-century age mark.
Old 09-21-23, 11:43 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by downtube42
Yeah I got the long torso thing too. I used to have a buddy my height (6'2") who was all legs. We could have swapped legs and both be proportionally correct.

OP has significant cycling advantages over most people IMO. Better power/weight, smaller draft behind him, lighter bikes.

Grass is always greener, I suppose.
I notice you're in Portland. I was there over the summer visiting family and brought my bike. I rode several times up Council Crest Park and did a bunch of hill repeats at Mt. Tabor. Even though Portland is considered a bike destination city, strangely I found bike culture isn't as friendly. In LA, it's basically a ride-at-your-own-risk mentality, but cyclists are always quick to acknowledge one another. I even did a Portland Friday group ride and the organizer said he started the ride because he wanted something more challenging as opposed to cycling-for-beers!
Old 09-21-23, 01:00 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I notice you're in Portland. I was there over the summer visiting family and brought my bike. I rode several times up Council Crest Park and did a bunch of hill repeats at Mt. Tabor. Even though Portland is considered a bike destination city, strangely I found bike culture isn't as friendly. In LA, it's basically a ride-at-your-own-risk mentality, but cyclists are always quick to acknowledge one another. I even did a Portland Friday group ride and the organizer said he started the ride because he wanted something more challenging as opposed to cycling-for-beers!
There's a thing they call the Seattle Freeze, which really applies to the PNW in general. Essentially, the culture makes it difficult for newcomers to break into existing groups. I've been here six years, and very much am still a newcomer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Freeze
Old 09-21-23, 01:14 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by downtube42
There's a thing they call the Seattle Freeze, which really applies to the PNW in general. Essentially, the culture makes it difficult for newcomers to break into existing groups. I've been here six years, and very much am still a newcomer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Freeze
It's funny, I was born in the PNW and grew up in Portland! I think moving to SoCal actually made me much more outgoing and friendly. Since everyone else is a transplant in LA, people try to make friends more often. Though I still maintain contact with many of my old elementary school friends in Portland. In fact my love of cycling stems from riding around Portland on my BMX or MTB during those long summer days as a kid. I only discovered road/gravel riding into my older age, but I had a blast taking my gravel bike around the Rose City!
Old 10-06-23, 08:11 AM
One Wheel

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
my max bpm is currently 183 which is a PR for me in this period of my life...I'm also 68 years old...and I hit this number last evening in an ZRL race.
Is high max heart rate genetic, training, or random? 220-age gives me a max of 184, but I'm closer to 200. 2 weeks ago I ran a 5 mile race with an average HR of 183 and a max of 197.
Old 10-07-23, 12:26 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by One Wheel
Is high max heart rate genetic, training, or random? 220-age gives me a max of 184, but I'm closer to 200. 2 weeks ago I ran a 5 mile race with an average HR of 183 and a max of 197.
It’s genetic and untrainable. But it does tend to drop off with age, particularly for the sedentary.
220-age formula is just some overall statistical average and doesn’t apply to individuals or even men vs women.

Your max HR is what it is. Mine is just under 200 and has been for at least the last 5 years. It was well over 200 in my 20s, but I didn’t measure it very often in those days.
Old 10-08-23, 07:44 AM
lsubiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I need to try this.