Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

3-5 days SW Ontario spring - suggestions?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-24, 02:43 PM
dvdwmth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

I live in Guelph, Ontario. I'm looking for somewhere to go to get bike season kicked off. I usually camp but since the campsites wont be open yet I'm going to have to get creative. No hotels.

At the moment I'm considering Guelph to Tobermory or something like that. Maybe loop back or Maybe my family meets me and I drive back with them.

Thoughts?
Old 03-05-24, 12:22 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Grand River down to Lake Erie. There's even a nice trail for part of the way along the river.
Old 03-10-24, 11:13 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
About 30 years ago I did Owen Sound to Manitoulin, via Tobermory. It was an incredible trip. Wild camping was ill advised because of the bears and much of the land is native reserve. It will most surely be chilly with the wind off the bay.
If no hotels, would cottages be suitable? I'm sure there will be plenty availability
Old 03-11-24, 08:35 AM
zweitesmal2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I've passed through Tobermory twice on tours and actually camped on the front porch of the United Church in town, with nobody bothering me. Camping in Ontario for me was done almost exclusively at community centers and sports fields, mostly anywhere I saw a pavilion, always with cheerful permission. I recommend the ferry northward and the cycling on Manitoulin Island (and beyond) as well. You may not realize it as you live there but the contrast between rural Ontario and rural US is quite stark. Crossing into Ohio on the ferry from Leamington to Sandusky I was once again faced with small towns having visible police forces with Military surplus SWAT vehicles, ruined and locked parks and filthy debris strewn roads. A far cry from the OPP and well stocked parks of your province. I'm sure wherever you choose will be a pleasure.
Old 03-17-24, 06:11 AM
fredonbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A bike trip from Guelph to Tobermory sounds like a great way to start the season, you'll get scenic views and a satisfying challenge. You could consider arranging for your family to meet you in Tobermory, making for a convenient return trip without the need for hotels.