Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Budget Upgrade Recomendations for 2014 Heckler

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 07:01 PM
milesf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi,

I was recently gifted a 2014 Santa Cruz Heckler and have a few questions (since this'll be my 2nd MTB ever and I've only ever had a hardtail. I know it's a bit old but it's a big upgrade from my (2020 I think) Cannondale Trail 6. I'm really hoping to do a few budget upgrades on the bike to make it more modern and was wondering if you guys have any part recommendations for specific parts or the order to prioritize the upgrades in. It's currently completely stock and I'm hoping to do:
- a 1x conversion
- I'm thinking of using the a U6000 Shimano Cues or Shimano SLX if Cues is really bad
- a dropper post
- maybe some sort of PNW but idk if it's going to fit since the seattube is pretty short

I was also wondering if you think the bike would fit right, it's a size medium and I'm about 6' tall. Also, are there any tools you recommend for the maintence on a full suspension?
Likes For milesf:
Old 03-21-24, 04:10 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Medium sounds very small for a 6" tall person.

To be honest, the most significant "non-modern" aspect of the 2014 Heckler is the geometry, which you really can't change. And the fact that this bike is undersized makes it even more pronounced as MTBs have gotten a lot longer. For example, most people your height would be an a Large with a frame reach of at least 475mm. The Med 2014 Heckler has a reach of 402mm. That's ~3" shorter. Also, seat tube angles have gotten 3-4 degrees steeper.

If you do want to keep the bike (at least for a little while) definitely get a dropper. PNW is a good affordable choice. Unless this bike has internal dropper routing (I don't think it does), you will be looking at the Cascade model. Having the shorter seat tube generally gives you more clearance for a longer dropper, so you should be fine there. The PNW site has a good calculator for each dropper model to see how long you can go.

I'd hold off on the 1x stuff for now. I would hesitate to start spending much on a bike that is old geo and too small.

Also, a 10 year old fork and shock could be OK if it was well maintained (but most are not) or they could be trashed. I'd be getting those serviced before I started spending money on 1x.

You don't mention which build the Heckler has, so it is hard to say what would be worth upgrading.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-22-24, 07:28 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I have a 140mm hardtail from 2015 with pretty similar geo and it really doesn't hold me back compared to my newer a bit more updated full squish. These 1x upgrades really aren't much money $100-200. I'd look at CUE super cheap, shimano deore 5100 11 speed(upper end of cheap), and Microshift advent X(mid cheap and lightest). I have 5100 and advent x and both are good, 5100 is no the hardtail and X is on the full squish. A narrow wide chainnring can be bought for $10 these days off amazon so that is nothing. PNW makes good external droppers other people take PNW post and rebrand them and can often be found cheaper. Don't take my word for it and my quick google has shown it it and it isn't but tranx external on jenson is $100 and looks like a PNW. I have a brand-x ascend in my hardtail and it is 100% a PNW.
Old 03-28-24, 07:17 AM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Cool older bike but 6' on a medium MTB is going to be a crummy ride and personally I wouldn't put any money into a bike that didn't fit. . I would recommend moving it along and getting something in a large frame at least.
Old 03-28-24, 09:08 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
As above, probably too small for you and not worth any investment unless you're sure it fits. Even then, has it been trashed or in good condition? The reason is the suspension is 10 years old and there may not be new seals available to service the fork and/or shock. I have an inexpensive Microshift transmission (1X derailleur, cassette and shift lever which cost < $100 and functions perfectly, but wouldn't change the three-speed unless it's worn out).