Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Can sugar as energy boost help you improve your personal best?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Can sugar as energy boost help you improve your personal best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-23, 07:01 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
GI intolerance. Tummy problems. Not uncommon on long rides
Well maybe I'm just lucky on the bike. I am very unlucky off the bike in this department. All kinds of GI problems, in part because I have celiac disease. And maybe it's because on the bike I'm eating really simple things that get digested quickly - the kinds of things these keto dudes think we should never eat.
Old 09-05-23, 07:06 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
How many grams of carbs should I eat if I do a 7 hour ride at 220 watts? Let's call it 6,000 kcals total expended. It is 10-15 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. How does one fuel if it is not largely simple carbs?
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 09-06-23, 02:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I've read things like this many times and I have to say that I don't understand. When on a long ride, I get my onboard fuel from a combination between gels and energy chews. The gels are kind of disgusting, but the chews are quite nice tasting. Ignoring the gels, I will normally have half a package of chews (Probar Bolt, 23 g carbs/package) every 5 miles, so that's about 50g/hour. The thing is, I'm pretty sure I *COULD* eat more, if I wanted to. That is, I haven't encountered any situation in which I felt some physical limit to my consumption. Maybe I just naturally self-regulate so that I don't hit that threshold.
Just to be clear I said 50g+ per hour on long, hard rides. I can tolerate 50g easily and it’s only solid food I struggle to consume at higher levels after maybe 3 or 4 hours into a full-on effort.

Last edited by PeteHski; 09-06-23 at 02:59 AM.
Old 09-06-23, 03:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I simply don't think you should need that many carbs to exert yourself a couple hours and I think you would be healthier long term without the carbs, but it's Ok if you don't agree. We don't have to convince each other and that never happens anyway.
I wasn’t talking about a couple of hours.

IIRC you lost a lot of weight by limiting your carbs. That’s great. But that doesn’t mean everyone else needs to do that to be healthy. I’m 55 and have never been overweight or diabetic. I eat carbs at the right times when I need the energy and performance they provide. I also know how many carbs I need to perform well. I could fuel less and ride slower, but that’s not my aim.
Old 09-06-23, 09:33 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
How many grams of carbs should I eat if I do a 7 hour ride at 220 watts? Let's call it 6,000 kcals total expended. It is 10-15 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. How does one fuel if it is not largely simple carbs?
/

I'll answer. The ride cannot be fueled with nuts, twigs, and fruit. Unless you want GI distress with maybe diarrhea and/or puking. If someone is touring at a lower energy level, you are burning mostly fat and your digestive system is not stressed. Consequently, you can eat as you wish. This is generally not the case on longer, harder rides.

I never bring carbs on a training ride of 4 hours or less. But, I don't think it makes much sense not to consume simple carbs on a longer hard ride.

On short races, I am not sure what people do nowaways. For Crits of an hour, we just had one bottle of water and 2 hour circuit races might be two bottles. On stage races, one is not just fueling for today but for tomorrow's race. When I am doing heavy volume (lots of miles per week), I have to eat on the bike and sometimes powder in the bottle is the best way. But on a 1-2 hour casual ride? Probably better just to drink water.
Old 09-06-23, 12:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I can tell the difference in whether I'm drinking water or drinking a mix with carbohydrates. If you are riding at a hard HR zone 4 and 5 pace for a while, then when you take that gulp or two of mix, you'll feel the energy coming back within 60 to 90 seconds. And back when I was using fructose/sucrose carbs, the surge in energy didn't last as long. With the maltodextrin that I use now, it seems to be a more steady release of energy that I feel longer between gulps from the bottle. Somewhat seems reasonable as fructose and sucrose are simple sugars where as maltodextrin is considered a complex carb.

If you are only a HR zone 2 and 3 rider, then you may not ever get enough energy deficit to notice.
Not on a short ride of, say less than 2 hours. Longer rides, though, I've definitely been depleted enough to notice the kick from a gel or other snack. And in line with the observation about harder efforts, I definitely find that adding a half hour Z4 climb has me feeling depleted a lot sooner.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-06-23, 07:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Not on a short ride of, say less than 2 hours. Longer rides, though, I've definitely been depleted enough to notice the kick from a gel or other snack. And in line with the observation about harder efforts, I definitely find that adding a half hour Z4 climb has me feeling depleted a lot sooner.
I use maltodextrin because of its high GI and absorbability. I've been using an HRM for 25 years, so I know what my HR is supposed to be doing. If I see it drop for my effort (and having power makes that a little easier) I drink some malto. Bang, it's back up where it belongs. If HR seems too high, I drink more water. I like being well instrumented.

Beyond having normal HR response to effort, I don't see any "kick" from carbs. That only happens if you're depleted. Don't do that! Remember that carb burning is trainable, just like fat burning. Fat burning doesn't have a supply issue however. Carb burning does.
Old 09-07-23, 07:12 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Depends.

Is 220w Z2 for you?

Being a "keto dude" as mentioned in an above post - I can fuel Z2 efforts until I run out of fat storage, and only need to supplement carbs for efforts over Z2.

220W for me is high Z2, low Z3. Last time I tried a sustained ride at that power - 4 hours in the mountains, I ate 1 energy bar per hour. About 30 grams of carbs per hour.
Old 09-14-23, 05:34 AM
kinnessa60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Sugar consumed before the gym can provide a temporary energy boost but may not guarantee surpassing failure for a new personal best. More muscle damage doesn't necessarily equal more growth.