Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Long-pull inline brake levers?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 02:49 PM
polygon1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Does anyone other than Paul Components make long-pull inline brake levers?
Old 02-20-24, 07:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Any inline lever will work just fine. It is not doing the cable pulling. If you are looking for flat bar levers there are lots of options but my favorite would be Speed Dial 7s from Avid if not the Paul Love Levers.
Old 02-20-24, 08:49 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Speed Dials are great but they are not 'inline levers'. I don't personally know of ANY long pull inline levers (Cross Levers), but if the o.p. says that Paul makes some, and they are ok with the $$$ then, who am I. But, if it were me driving (and it was) I would use standard short pull levers, and matching inline levers, and either get short pull calipers, or 'Travel Agents' to convert the pull ratios at the caliper.
Old 02-20-24, 11:14 PM
polygon1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Any inline lever will work just fine. It is not doing the cable pulling. If you are looking for flat bar levers there are lots of options but my favorite would be Speed Dial 7s from Avid if not the Paul Love Levers.
Do they? The Tektro RL720s (for example) are described as compatible with cantis and road calipers, but not V-brakes.
Old 02-21-24, 02:27 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is not doing the cable pulling.
Really...
Likes For Yan:
Old 02-21-24, 08:43 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Really...
Don't the actually work by pushing the housing? The cable itself isn't fixed to them, it just passes through, right? so they, really, technically can't pull it.
Old 02-21-24, 09:07 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Frkl
Don't the actually work by pushing the housing? The cable itself isn't fixed to them, it just passes through, right? so they, really, technically can't pull it.
So yea - but the amount that it pushes the housing equals the amount of cable pulled. It isn't the anchor for the cable. You may find that you have to bring the lever to the bar to get braking... although you could just run your pads closer to your rim.
Old 02-21-24, 10:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by polygon1
Do they? The Tektro RL720s (for example) are described as compatible with cantis and road calipers, but not V-brakes.
As mentioned above, they technically push instead of pull, but the result is the same, and it does matter which you use.

So maybe technically they should be called “short push” or “long push”. But the bottom line is you still want to uses the right one.
Old 02-21-24, 12:43 PM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
As mentioned above, they technically push instead of pull, but the result is the same, and it does matter which you use.
Yes, in a Bowden cable and housing system as found on bikes, pull of the cable and push of the housing are equal and opposite forces, they are equivalent and achieve the same thing. It doesn't work any other way.

Sorry my comment was meant to be ironic, not start an argument , because this is clearly the basis of how all bike cables function. Just poking fun with a bit of Newton.
Old 02-21-24, 01:02 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Frkl
Yes, in a Bowden cable and housing system as found on bikes, pull of the cable and push of the housing are equal and opposite forces, they are equivalent and achieve the same thing. It doesn't work any other way.

Sorry my comment was meant to be ironic, not start an argument , because this is clearly the basis of how all bike cables function. Just poking fun with a bit of Newton.
No argument, I believe we are all on the same page.

And it is a good concept to understand. And now I know the name for it (Bowden Cable)
Old 02-21-24, 01:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
So, long push CX levers. Someone should step up and make them. Long push or LP. To use with linear pull (LP) calipers. I like.

Practical concerns. To get a longer push, the housing needs to stand further off the handlebar and seat at a higher location from the lever pivot. Also the housing will move more. I suspect that it will be a little harder to arrange this to be as tidy around and under the handlebar wrap. I'm guessing a couple of prototypes needed.
Old 02-21-24, 07:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by polygon1
Maybe not, I would have thought generally they are cross compatible (LOL) but I guess maybe they may not. The Pauls do have a different pivot point for linear pull and long pull disc brakes it looks like. The wisdom an old mechanic passed to me a while back is that didn't matter as much but maybe it does.

Originally Posted by Yan
Really...
Yes actually.

From Park Tool:
The in-line lever pushes on the housing, effectively making it longer, which causes the brake caliper to close on the rim.