Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Summertime Tire Pressure

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Summertime Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 11:24 AM
FREEBIRD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Summertime Tire Pressure

I'm continuing to ride my fat bike in the good weather months, what front/rear pressures have you guys found to work well with a mixture of trail and street riding. I ride the bike to a single track type trail a few miles away. The bike does not have a front suspension and 4.9" tires,

Thanks
Old 03-14-24, 09:27 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
I don't change the pressure if I have to bike on paved. any higher pressure and I bounce too much.
Probably even worse without front suspension.

F 5 R 7
Old 03-15-24, 12:52 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Experiment with what works for you. The limited time I ride fat bike in the summer...8 psi rear and 6 psi front.
Old 03-16-24, 04:57 AM
FREEBIRD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Did some test rides yesterday, the weather was pretty nice. The higher pressures worked best for me, up around 15 psi., the reduced rolling resistance allowed for more speed, and decent handling on the pavement and trail, with limited bounce. My bike is heavy, so climbs are tricky, the added psi helped with this also. If I lived in a mostly flat area, I could see myself riding the fat bike on the trails more often. We may get a little snow tomorrow , so back down to 5 psi.
Old 03-16-24, 05:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Rider weight is pretty important in any tire pressure discussion. I’m ~165 lbs

Pavement aside, I ride pressures a lot higher when things dry out and get faster on the trail.

In winter I’m running anything from 4/5 F/R (deeper softer snow) to 5.5/7 (mud, deep leaves).

Once things dry out, i’m around 7.5/9 (F/R). The problem with the low winter pressures is not the rolling resistance, its that having big bouncy balloons as tires gets unwieldy when hitting rough stuff at higher speeds. Its like having a couple inches of undamped suspension

Its one of the reasons i don’t ride my fat bike in the summer very often. With the pressures I run, I could be using much smaller tires.