Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the coolest wildlife you've seen on a ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the coolest wildlife you've seen on a ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 07:05 PM
rnorris

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-Mama bear and 2 cubs were trying out the local MUP one night. I thought they were some new artsy sculptures until Mama said "WHUFF?" and stood up on her hind legs to look at me, as did the cubs. I had both my fixed and flashing headlights going, and the way their eyes strobed back at me from quite close was more than mildly unsettling. Fortunately all 3 of them turned and ran into the brush.

-Also plenty of jackrabbits, coyotes, hawks, and a tarantula. I see so many deer that I don't even count them.

-This doesn't really count, but I had a solo pronghorn antelope follow me for about a mile once when I was trail running in the open prairie in eastern Oregon. He kept a respectful distance, but was obviously curious as to what the hell I was. They're normally very shy animals so it was a real surprise.
Old 10-01-13, 07:08 PM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Milamor bird one time.
Old 10-01-13, 07:42 PM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most of the wildlife I've seen this summer has been roadkill. How pathetic is that?
Old 10-01-13, 08:23 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I first heard what sounded like a jet aircraft coming over a lake, when I looked to see the jet it was a Pedigree Falcon in a full wings tucked dive and the noise was the ruffling of the feathers! That guy was going fast. Then at the last moment he spread his wings out and grabbed a fish out of the lake and took off. That is the one animal that if I had to chose to live to be any animal it would be that bird...because I love to fish but I can't catch them worth a darn! and I like to go fast and I like flying.
Old 10-02-13, 06:00 AM
TiBikeGuy

Bikes: Litespeed Ti Mtb, BikeE Recumbent, Cannondale H600 Hybrid,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Some friendly boars came out of the jungle... They are protected in the nature reserve, so they are not afraid of humans

Last edited by TiBikeGuy; 10-02-13 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-20-13, 08:44 PM
TiBikeGuy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sleeping python ... twice the length of the bike..after taking a few pictures, my friend asked me if it is dead, I touched it and it reared its head up, looked at me and slithered over the bike and into the bushes. This picture was taken at 2.30 am under the highway where the trains used to run. When they moved the train station to another location further north, much of the old train tracks is left unused, great for mountain biking although it is rather flat.

Last edited by TiBikeGuy; 10-20-13 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 08:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
While most people go for large wildlife, I like to find the little ones like this cricket frog on the Katy Trail

Or this freshly hatched horned lizard on the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

Or this wandering tarantula in the canyonlands south of La Junta, CO

I've also see the western collared lizard (don't have a picture but it's like this one) around Grand Junction. Truly bizarre animals given that they are blue and might as well have a neon "Eat Me!" sign when they are standing on red sandstone.

I have also seen a ground snake (Sonora semiannulata) in southern Colorado. These are truly strange animals as they are bright orange with black spots. I thought the one I saw was a toy until I touched it and it moved. I reacted like I would with a rattlesnake...i.e. I jumped into the air and didn't come down until I knew where the damn thing was going
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-21-13, 04:09 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
A rattlesnake trying to cross (very slowly) from one side to the other of a one-way road in a nature park. I got of my bike and played traffic cop until it safely crossed.
Old 10-22-13, 08:07 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I was once riding through a hilly area in California and as I was approaching a corner during a climb had a red tail hawk fly up the slop right in front of me. It was beautiful!

On a ride earlier this year in Pennsylvania, I got lost near a small, small town called Slate Run, and decided to see if I could get directions. It is a vacation community, but I saw one home with 2 or 3 cars parked out front and left my bike at the road as I walked down the driveway (probably 50 yards to the house). As I got about half way, I noticed some unusual looking shrubbery in front of the house, and as I continued walking, I tried to figure out what it was. Shortly, I saw two black balls of fur that ran from the brush to the shrubbery to a wooded area to my left. I realized that I had just seen my first bears in the wild... cubs... and just as I realized that where there are cubs, there is usually a mother bear, so I stopped. Then I saw momma run out of the shrubbery. However, she wasn't heading to the wooded area, she was headed toward me. She got about 15-20 yards from me, stopped, slapped her front paws on the ground with a thud, crouched and growled at me. I walked backwards slowly, watching her at least as closely as she was watching me... the driveway was curved, and eventually she was out of view, and I turned and quickly got to my bike to look for a different place to ask for directions.

So, in short, I got to see three bears!!!

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 10-22-13, 04:42 PM
smellincoffee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen a deer trapped in a ditch before, and last week two deer shot out of the woods in front of me on a morning ride because some sirens on the highway through the woods had scared them into a run. It's not every day you nearly get T-boned by a deer on a bicycle!
Old 10-22-13, 05:22 PM
one_beatnik

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's common in rural Iowa to see deer, possums, hawks, foxes, coyotes and turkeys. Having said that, a couple years ago at 0-dark 30 AM, I was riding a local trail heading to work when I saw what I thought was a cat in my headlight. No, it wasn't moving like a cat. SKUNK! No that wasn't it either. It turned out to be a possum, but what was cool was that she had her babies on her back. I'd seen pictures of that, but never the real thing. She growled and hissed at me as I went past.
Old 10-22-13, 06:05 PM
Billy Bones

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
...coolest wildlife you've seen on a ride...
Long ago, as a young cat, I commuted across the back lanes in rural West Virginia to my job. One morning...in the fog...I encountered a wild GODDESS. She was standing in her glass picture-window dressed only in the Gifts That the Gods Gave Her. We smiled; I saluted.
Old 10-23-13, 05:50 AM
TiBikeGuy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Video of a race in Africa where the mountainbiker was hit by a antelope. Evan van der Spuy of Team Jeep South Africa got taken out by a RED HARTEBEES at the Time Freight Express MTB race at Albert Falls Dam. Check out this crazy footage which was taken by team mate Travis Walker on his GoPro Camera
Old 10-23-13, 06:31 AM
one_beatnik

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy Bones
Long ago, as a young cat, I commuted across the back lanes in rural West Virginia to my job. One morning...in the fog...I encountered a wild GODDESS. She was standing in her glass picture-window dressed only in the Gifts That the Gods Gave Her. We smiled; I saluted.
Game over!! We have a winner!!
Old 10-26-13, 09:09 AM
ka0use

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
do llamas count? these weren't wild, but they were exotic. llama farm (ranch?) east of boulder. thought they were really cool.
Old 10-26-13, 10:42 AM
aRoudy1

Bikes: Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Old 10-26-13, 03:26 PM
bruin11

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Serotta Fierta IT, Torelli, Raleigh Carbon Revenio 3.0

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
Zebras
I saw a Zebra on a ride in Vermont a couple of weeks ago.