Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Dumpster Diving Across America

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Dumpster Diving Across America

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-13, 01:33 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuchi
I wish I could dumpster dive.
Why? If you are that desperate for a meal perhaps you should look for a mission or Salvation Army kitchen.
Old 12-25-13, 01:36 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why? If you are that desperate for a meal perhaps you should look for a mission or Salvation Army kitchen.
Star of Hope Men's Shelter is Better.

Old 12-25-13, 01:53 PM
TiBikeGuy

Bikes: Litespeed Ti Mtb, BikeE Recumbent, Cannondale H600 Hybrid,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While some may feel that it is a waste for retailers to throw away expired food which is still safe for consumption, you have to look at it from the PR point and the legal point. No shops want to be associated with selling expired food products. Giving it away raises another legal issue that if someone eats it and have food poisoning, they could be held liable for serving food that is not safe for consumption.

So by tossing them in the dumpster, they are saying, "Once it is in there, it is trash, not food so you eat at your own risk".

Landfills generally do not allow public access because there is chance that accidents may happen, someone gets hit by a heavy vehicle, or gets buried by the trash, or gets cut by sharp objects in the trash, etc..
Old 12-25-13, 02:25 PM
Chuchi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I don't think they'd let me in there, I'm a woman.
Old 12-25-13, 03:56 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I don't think they'd let me in there, I'm a woman.
The 500 men would love to eat dinner with you.

Old 12-25-13, 05:42 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Probably offers better conversation and fellowship than breaking bread with characters making political statements by munching in a dumpster.
Old 12-25-13, 06:33 PM
Chuchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably offers better conversation and fellowship than breaking bread with characters making political statements by munching in a dumpster.
I don't have any political agenda and I'm not homeless, but thanks for your concern.
Old 12-25-13, 07:38 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
For those that dumpster dive, more power to them, and to their effort in keeping more of America's refuse from making it to the dump.
Old 12-25-13, 11:20 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I don't have any political agenda and I'm not homeless, but thanks for your concern.
See the OP video for an example of a dumpster diner regurgitating political platitudes.
Old 12-26-13, 02:28 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
See the OP video for an example of a dumpster diner regurgitating political platitudes.
And thus stereotypes are born.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-26-13, 02:47 AM
SmallFront

Bikes: Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
And thus stereotypes are born.
Some people enjoy fitting a stereotype. Or, rather, there is enough of the type to make it a stereotype. But that doesn't change what they are. It doesn't even have to something bad. There are positive stereotypes too. What do you think "a selfmade man" is, if not a particular type implying certain connotations? Yup, that is a stereotype as well as a description too. Saying that the dumpster diver serves platitudes is hardly stereotyping anything. He is a dumpster diver, and while he was doing it, he moralised about the way things should be, using clichés. The "stereotyping" of him is his own doing.

You might even have noticed that quite a few people even on here make it a political statement to "live car free". Not just something they chose for themselves, but something they can use to beat others over the head with, attempting to take the moral high ground.

It's the same sort of deal: Those people fall into various stereotypes, good or bad, depending on your view, but most are so singleminded/focused on that that they have a hard time not proselytising to everyone they meet.

This includes quite a bit of the dumpster divers: Spending so many hours a week to get something "free" (i.e. the work put into it is hardly "free"), often in the dark, while trying to tell parents and everyone else in society that what they are doing is wrong. Most people stop dumpster diving for food when they have to hold down a job that might take a lot of their energy, and have to do other things in their life (kids, renovate a home, take care of a loved one, take courses along with a full time job, or even hold down more than one job to make ends meet).

There's a reason that type has become a stereotype. It takes something different to not fit the type where the precedence is already set.

But, hey, if they get joy from going dumpster diving for food and feel that that is the smart way to spend their time: Have at it, Horse.
Old 12-26-13, 04:28 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SmallFront
Some people enjoy fitting a stereotype. Or, rather, there is enough of the type to make it a stereotype. But that doesn't change what they are. It doesn't even have to something bad. There are positive stereotypes too. What do you think "a selfmade man" is, if not a particular type implying certain connotations? Yup, that is a stereotype as well as a description too. Saying that the dumpster diver serves platitudes is hardly stereotyping anything. He is a dumpster diver, and while he was doing it, he moralised about the way things should be, using clichés. The "stereotyping" of him is his own doing.

You might even have noticed that quite a few people even on here make it a political statement to "live car free". Not just something they chose for themselves, but something they can use to beat others over the head with, attempting to take the moral high ground.

It's the same sort of deal: Those people fall into various stereotypes, good or bad, depending on your view, but most are so singleminded/focused on that that they have a hard time not proselytising to everyone they meet.

This includes quite a bit of the dumpster divers: Spending so many hours a week to get something "free" (i.e. the work put into it is hardly "free"), often in the dark, while trying to tell parents and everyone else in society that what they are doing is wrong. Most people stop dumpster diving for food when they have to hold down a job that might take a lot of their energy, and have to do other things in their life (kids, renovate a home, take care of a loved one, take courses along with a full time job, or even hold down more than one job to make ends meet).

There's a reason that type has become a stereotype. It takes something different to not fit the type where the precedence is already set.

But, hey, if they get joy from going dumpster diving for food and feel that that is the smart way to spend their time: Have at it, Horse.
Stereotypes are just lazy thinking. Or did you actually go out and interview a sizable number of dumpster denizens before you decided to tell us what they are all about?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-26-13, 04:40 AM
SmallFront

Bikes: Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Stereotypes are just lazy thinking. Or did you actually go out and interview a sizable number of dumpster denizens before you decided to tell us what they are all about?
I never said "all". You're misrepresenting what I said in order to make an argument. Try again.

Even so, when a bloke makes a video saying exactly what one can expect from "the stereotype", then I don't need to interview others to see that that individual is indeed stereotypical, monochrome, two-dimensional, a charicature, an empty void, a willing idiot, a cliche, or whatever else one can use to describe the outlook he exhibits in that video.

But as I said, if you need to misrepresent what I say in order for you to make your point, you are the one exhibiting "lazy thinking" as you say. Otherwise you wouldn't have to resort to such tactics.

I explicitly stated that one has to be different to break from the precedent others have set. I don't see anything different there. With that said, if he likes it, he likes it. It's just not feasible for all of us, nor something all of us would enjoy. He has elected to eat the crumbs from the rest of society. Without them, there would be no dumpsters to raid for food. If he was homeless and had to do it, I would view it differently. But as a political standpoint I find it naive and narrowminded.

Last edited by SmallFront; 12-26-13 at 04:46 AM.
Old 12-26-13, 06:04 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
I've started to see bananas and coconuts wrapped in plastic film. Why? The good ol' cardboard egg cartons that are so easy to recycle are being replaced by plastic ones. And don't get me started on bottled water. There's no need for this.

Edited to add: On a positive note, there are people who are fighting against this madness:

https://plasticpollutioncoalition.org...efuse-in-2014/
the battle against excessive packaging has been going on for 45 years
Old 12-26-13, 06:42 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lenA
the battle against excessive packaging has been going on for 45 years
I'd say it's been a losing battle so far. I remember when soft drinks came in returnable glass bottles. We kids would go around and pick them up to get the deposit. Nowadays it's plastic, single-use bottles, which folks carry home in plastic bags. The result:

https://www.greenpeace.org/internatio.../trash-vortex/
Old 12-26-13, 09:59 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Nowadays it's plastic, single-use bottles, which folks carry home in plastic bags.
I'd agree it's a losing battle thus far. Those single-use bottles are theoretically recycled... but this means next to nothing. The environmental cost of single-use (ie, the container manufacture) has got to be enormous.

Bottles used to package water take over 1,000 years to bio-degrade and if incinerated, they produce toxic fumes. It is estimated that over 80% of all single-use water bottles used in the U.S. simply become "litter."
https://thewaterproject.org/bottled_water_wasteful.asp
Old 12-26-13, 10:08 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for posting that link, Gerv. I've changed my avatar in your honor.

Skip the bottle. Save a life.
Old 12-26-13, 10:22 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
People have started finding insults where none existed so we're done here.

Closed.

Forum Guidelines *click here*