Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Looking at an indoor trainer

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Looking at an indoor trainer

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-24, 09:58 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
So long as shifting works than all is good.
lake George is about 100 miles south of me. I did live in Vermont for 30 years. There is no interstate west of the Green Mountains, so most heading to the Albany region, or south to New York proper take rt 4 to rt 149 to get on the NYS Thruway heading south, commercial traffic included. Not a route I'd choose to cycle on. Seems you got poor route advice. Sorry for your poor experience.
There is really no alternative to Rt4 between Whitehall and Ft Ann. I knew what I was getting myself into there, I just chose in the end not to do it, being a little wiped out by the first 75 miles and 5500' of climbing (lots of up and down). That's still a good day's riding.

Looking at Rt4 in street view it doesn't even look that bad, it has a wide shoulder where I looked, and it is marked as a bike trail.

I'll never get to try it again. I see how much my fitness dropped off on the trainer from where I was 5 years ago at age 63. It isn't getting any easier.

Last edited by zacster; 01-20-24 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-22-24, 03:22 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
So is the OP ever coming back do you think?

I want to know if he got a trainer
Old 01-28-24, 07:45 PM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
So is the OP ever coming back do you think?

I want to know if he got a trainer
Hey There! I have been following the thread. I am really thinking about getting the Tacx Flow and doing Zwift. I am going to pull the trigger probably this week.
Likes For voyager1:
Old 01-29-24, 02:21 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by voyager1
Hey There! I have been following the thread. I am really thinking about getting the Tacx Flow and doing Zwift. I am going to pull the trigger probably this week.
Cool

You’ll find www.zwiftinsider.com invaluable.
Old 01-29-24, 09:32 AM
zacster

I need to go to ZwiftInsider more myself. I get frustrated sometimes with the lack of info on Zwift itself. They don't even post the calendar of the Tour de Zwift by days in the app, and the Zwift website goes around in circles when you try to find it there.
Likes For zacster:
Old 01-29-24, 10:01 AM
zacster

As an example of why you need ZwitInsider, I just went there and learned all about drops! I had no idea of what it was, how it worked, what it got me. I just kept getting prompted to "Follow Coco to earn drops" and had no idea why I wanted that. Coco goes way too fast for me though. As a side lesson I learned that everything matters too, weight, grade, power, gender all come into play.

Oh, bottom line, you need to earn drops to "purchase" a better frame or wheelset. And "drops" are drops of sweat. I thought it meant dropping riders since we use that term too.
Likes For zacster:
Old 01-31-24, 06:45 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by zacster
As an example of why you need ZwitInsider, I just went there and learned all about drops! I had no idea of what it was, how it worked, what it got me. I just kept getting prompted to "Follow Coco to earn drops" and had no idea why I wanted that. Coco goes way too fast for me though. As a side lesson I learned that everything matters too, weight, grade, power, gender all come into play.

Oh, bottom line, you need to earn drops to "purchase" a better frame or wheelset. And "drops" are drops of sweat. I thought it meant dropping riders since we use that term too.
Yeah people usually assume following a bot earns them XPs but no.
Old 01-31-24, 09:34 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts

I really like the bot pacer rides. The robot keeps the stated pace and rides the route 24 hours a day. Riders appear, ride along, then either break off the pace, or just stop their ride.
the bot Coco, at 2.5 watts per kilogram is way too fast for me. It's good that there's groups from "barely pedaling" to "race speed" available.

From another Zwift thread, I posted:

Robo pace rides (called "24/7 group rides") now have the Teleport button on the bottom icon strip. It looks like two map pushpins. Tap it, and it shows a list of all the bot speed groups. Pick one, and you get teleported to it, with the usual 10 second countdown.

I can warm up at an easy pace, then jump to a faster bot group. Or see how long I can hang on to an even faster group -- bot interval rides!
I like that the whole session is all one recording this way.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 02-01-24, 10:32 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by rm -rf
I really like the bot pacer rides. The robot keeps the stated pace and rides the route 24 hours a day. Riders appear, ride along, then either break off the pace, or just stop their ride.
the bot Coco, at 2.5 watts per kilogram is way too fast for me. It's good that there's groups from "barely pedaling" to "race speed" available.

From another Zwift thread, I posted:

Robo pace rides (called "24/7 group rides") now have the Teleport button on the bottom icon strip. It looks like two map pushpins. Tap it, and it shows a list of all the bot speed groups. Pick one, and you get teleported to it, with the usual 10 second countdown.

I can warm up at an easy pace, then jump to a faster bot group. Or see how long I can hang on to an even faster group -- bot interval rides!
I like that the whole session is all one recording this way.
One thing I find myself doing is actually splitting off the recovery at the end of my rides so that I can see how much real effort went in without the soft pedaling I do at the end while watching my HR drop. Your FTP is based on max effort, not max effort + recovery, and I just want to track against it to see if I'm really improving.
Likes For zacster:
Old 02-06-24, 05:13 AM
choddo

One thing I find myself doing is actually splitting off the recovery at the end of my rides so that I can see how much real effort went in without the soft pedaling I do at the end while watching my HR drop. Your FTP is based on max effort, not max effort + recovery, and I just want to track against it to see if I'm really improving.
You can always crop the activity on Strava. Lose the warmdown distance but the XPs are already in the bag