Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Dumpster Diving Across America

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-13, 04:04 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've just watched this video and thought it might stimulate some conversation here.

Old 12-21-13, 07:12 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I worked four years at a small A&P supermarket and the food we tossed in the garbage was simply amazing. I remember one time the manager ordered too much store brand bread and once it expired, I tossed about 7 shopping carts full right into the dumpster! People in cars were just looking at me in amazement. We were a small supermarket and not some 24 hour superstore but let me tell you, we would discard an entire shopping cart of produce, meat and dairy each and every day!

Probably one of the biggest crimes out there is the back of each supermarket. Today, food is tossed into a strong locked steel container that cannot be broken into. Otherwise, half the people going into the store would be in the back pulling out free food. I think hundreds of people could be fed each day from what is discarded in one single container.

The reason all this food is dumped is due to state and local laws that require food to be fresh at all times. We were fined for selling deep discounted produce that was just begining to age! It just isn't produce and meat but dented cans and even expired water must be trashed! Often times vendors would do the dumping for us by removing their expired products off the shelf.

I can just imagine how much food was discarded after hurricane Sandy.
Old 12-21-13, 07:18 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Diving for food

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4945405263_8f59408138_o.jpg (98.4 KB, 87 views)

Old 12-21-13, 07:21 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Is that you in the photo, 10 Wheels?
Old 12-21-13, 07:22 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Dumpsters are also a source for used bicycles.

Another point is that even more food gets tossed out of the refrigerator. This is probably a bigger crime than tossing expired produce because people buy the food and just leave it there to expire.

I have observed however that I throw away a lot less produce now that I have to lug it all home from the grocery store w/o a car.
Old 12-21-13, 07:28 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by Ekdog
Is that you in the photo, 10 Wheels?
Just a friend....She has a blog on diving. but i can't find it.
Attached Images
A n F.jpg (95.6 KB, 32 views)

Old 12-21-13, 07:58 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Just a friend....She has a blog on diving. but i can't find it.
Cool! Be sure to post it if you do come across it.
Old 12-21-13, 08:00 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Cool! Be sure to post it if you do come across it.
https://www.allisonburtch.net/trash/

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-21-13 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-21-13, 08:13 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wow! Great blog! Incredible!

I'm afraid pickings must be much slimmer here in Iberia. The terrible economic depression and government cost-cutting measures that have been imposed have forced thousands of people to dumpster dive just to survive.

Get caught committing the "crime" of dumpster diving in Madrid and it will cost you €750!

https://www.lavanguardia.mobi/slowdev...ar-basura.html
Attached Images
basura.jpg (50.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Ekdog; 12-21-13 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-21-13, 10:02 AM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
I live in a neighborhood of several small apartment and condo complexes. I can see 2 or 3 dumpsters from my windows. People often put decent furniture out by the dumpster when they move. About half our furniture comes from next to the dumpster (I don't like to spend money on furniture, I'd rather save it as bike-dollars). When we are done with it we will put it back out next to the dumpster for the next person. We have found 2 good carpeted cat trees in the dumpster, these sell for $100+ dollars in the stores. Our cats love them!
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 12-21-13, 12:27 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I was once a guest at a commune in Eugene, Ore. They threw a big dinner feast with delicious food for almost 30 people. I asked how they could afford it. They said the food all came from their garden and a supermarket dumpster, and the total cost was two or three dollars.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-21-13, 04:44 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Check This Out:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/allison...7623201255835/

Old 12-21-13, 04:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Aka "freeganisim".. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeganism
Old 12-21-13, 07:02 PM
Dahon.Steve

Wow JUST Wow!
Old 12-21-13, 07:14 PM
Dahon.Steve

Originally Posted by gerv
Dumpsters are also a source for used bicycles.
LOL! I recently purchased a used 10 speed bike from a guy who dumpster dives in back of bike shops! He gets hundreds of old bikes from bike shops, restores with parts from the dumpster and puts them up for sale on Ebay! The Schwinn I purchased was almost mint.

I remember back in school how dozens of "free lunches" were tossed in the garbage each day. I asked a worker at KFC last month if they ever tossed out the chicken, he looked at me and said about 10 buckets full each night!

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 12-22-13 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-21-13, 07:21 PM
amdoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely amazing. I can't believe the quality of the food she's found.
Old 12-21-13, 08:07 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I almost don't know what to say. Dumpster diving for a used bike is one thing but for food? Isn't there a reason for an experation date. Is not many dumpsters a breeding ground for germs and disease?

I am trying to envision a committee meeting on cutting back on prison expenses and someone suggesting, of just feed prisoners spoiled or expired food from dumpsters, its free. I doubt if I would go to a restaurant that served steaks stored in a dumpster, but that might just be me. But what surprises me is the acceptance by some that tout the benefits of organic food over corporate produced food and yet see no contradiction to getting their food from a germ filled dumpster. If I went to a restaurant and order spare ribs for me, and a lobster tail for my child, somehow I can't see telling them to just retrieve the lobster that fell in trash but was retrieved by the chef even with the 5 second rule.

Every so often this sub forum does remind me of Portlandia. They had a segment on this very subject.
Old 12-21-13, 08:17 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Expiration Date is the date to remove the item from the shelf, No longer to be Sold.

Does not mean that it is spoiled and can not be consumed.

I have a friend that picks up expired items from a large grocery change and takes them to food pantry's.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-21-13 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-21-13, 08:23 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I almost don't know what to say. Dumpster diving for a used bike is one thing but for food? Isn't there a reason for an experation date. Is not many dumpsters a breeding ground for germs and disease?

I am trying to envision a committee meeting on cutting back on prison expenses and someone suggesting, of just feed prisoners spoiled or expired food from dumpsters, its free. I doubt if I would go to a restaurant that served steaks stored in a dumpster, but that might just be me. But what surprises me is the acceptance by some that tout the benefits of organic food over corporate produced food and yet see no contradiction to getting their food from a germ filled dumpster. If I went to a restaurant and order spare ribs for me, and a lobster tail for my child, somehow I can't see telling them to just retrieve the lobster that fell in trash but was retrieved by the chef even with the 5 second rule.

Every so often this sub forum does remind me of Portlandia. They had a segment on this very subject.
Your post is over the line negative to the point of being silly.

Old 12-21-13, 08:53 PM
Mobile 155

Your post is over the line negative to the point of being silly.
Maybe, but why have an expiration date if there is nothing wrong with the consumption of the food? Is there such a thing as only a little spoiled? Like I said could we feed prisoners with expired food? I will confess I will not eat at a place with lower than a B on the window from the health department. But having worked with food preparation I have been lectured by the health department more that once about storing such things as cooked and uncooked poultry in the same place. There are rules for sanitary considerations because of "something". Like I said dumpsters are filthy, dirty and in many cases have things that can make you sick. Doing it simply to survive is one thing. Doing it in protest is another. If there is nothing wrong with the food and we feel there is too much waste shouldn't we fight to get the restrictions lifted on expatriation dates? You do know people throw dirty diapers in dumpsters from the Store restrooms do you not?

I don't blame the divers I feel sorry for them. I don't support freeganism because besides dumpster diving they are often also squatters and that is bad for any neighborhood. Still I know the economy has forced people into desperate measures, but for me crossing the line has to be getting my food from the trash. I know what I throw in the trash and I would dig through that even in my own trash can.
Old 12-21-13, 09:01 PM
Mobile 155

As far as my this is like Portlandia comment? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCfJ2NbPATo
Old 12-21-13, 09:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
In Australia, we have tip shops ... no food, but a whole heap of other stuff.

https://www.resourcetipshop.com/index...urce&Itemid=61
Old 12-21-13, 09:28 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Maybe, but why have an expiration date if there is nothing wrong with the consumption of the food? Is there such a thing as only a little spoiled?
You need get informed about use-by dates. Here's an article to get you started:

(TIME.com) -- Use-by dates are contributing to millions of pounds of wasted food each year.

A new report from the Natural Resources Defense Council and Harvard Law School's Food Law and Policy Clinic says Americans are prematurely throwing out food, largely because of confusion over what expiration dates actually mean.
Most consumers mistakenly believe that expiration dates on food indicate how safe the food is to consume, when these dates actually aren't related to the risk of food poisoning or foodborne illness.
Food dating emerged in the 1970s, prompted by consumer demand as Americans produced less of their own food but still demanded information about how it was made. The dates solely indicate freshness, and are used by manufacturers to convey when the product is at its peak. That means the food does not expire in the sense of becoming inedible. (...)

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/19/he...es-waste-food/

Last edited by Ekdog; 12-21-13 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-21-13, 09:41 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I worked four years at a small A&P supermarket and the food we tossed in the garbage was simply amazing. I remember one time the manager ordered too much store brand bread and once it expired, I tossed about 7 shopping carts full right into the dumpster! People in cars were just looking at me in amazement. We were a small supermarket and not some 24 hour superstore but let me tell you, we would discard an entire shopping cart of produce, meat and dairy each and every day!

Probably one of the biggest crimes out there is the back of each supermarket. Today, food is tossed into a strong locked steel container that cannot be broken into. Otherwise, half the people going into the store would be in the back pulling out free food. I think hundreds of people could be fed each day from what is discarded in one single container.

The reason all this food is dumped is due to state and local laws that require food to be fresh at all times. We were fined for selling deep discounted produce that was just begining to age! It just isn't produce and meat but dented cans and even expired water must be trashed! Often times vendors would do the dumping for us by removing their expired products off the shelf.

I can just imagine how much food was discarded after hurricane Sandy.
This is the most critical point of all. It is not the stores' fault necessarily. But the elected representatives have responded to the public's "concerns" about how fresh their food is. This goes hand-in-hand with the ridiculous amount of packaging -- most of it plastic -- that is used these days. The security of food packaging is at the point where undoing it at home has become a major challenge... I sympathise with people who suffer arthritis, for instance.

I have felt for a long time that the dairy industry is among the most wasteful of all in the food sector. Unless the products are long-life treated and packaged, the expiry date before most milk products go off is very short, and it has to be disposed of some way. And there are huge quantities that have to be dumped every single day. All the milk I buy is long-life packaged or powdered.

There was a time when a lot of discarded food was collected by pig farmers. But even that doesn't seem to happen these days.
Old 12-21-13, 10:12 PM
Mobile 155

You need get informed about use-by dates. Here's an article to get you started:

(TIME.com) -- Use-by dates are contributing to millions of pounds of wasted food each year.

A new report from the Natural Resources Defense Council and Harvard Law School's Food Law and Policy Clinic says Americans are prematurely throwing out food, largely because of confusion over what expiration dates actually mean.
Most consumers mistakenly believe that expiration dates on food indicate how safe the food is to consume, when these dates actually aren't related to the risk of food poisoning or foodborne illness.
Food dating emerged in the 1970s, prompted by consumer demand as Americans produced less of their own food but still demanded information about how it was made. The dates solely indicate freshness, and are used by manufacturers to convey when the product is at its peak. That means the food does not expire in the sense of becoming inedible. (...)

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/19/he...es-waste-food/
Then legislate to change the sell by date. Don't encourage people to dig through the filth to get the food. No matter how fresh it is if it is tossed in the dumpster it is tossed in a metal box that has blood, maybe feces, spoiled food, egg products, maggots, cock roaches, rat droppings and who knows what. I still say Portlandia pointed out some interesting insight to the contradictions voiced in many of these very threads, by local because then you are assured of fresher foods. Read it many times here. By organic it is healthier with less chemicals, once again read it here. If it isn't fit to sell I question how fit it is for human consumption. Once again would you dig food out of the trash and feed your kids? Not for survival but for political reasons? They have health codes for a reason as well. I once worked for a City School food service. We had "laws" on how long we could keep food before we could use it. Once it was discovered that people were, Diving, for our tossed out food we were told by the city attorney that we could be held responsible for someone getting hurt in the dumpster, because we now knew it was happening. What was the solution? Not to change the use by date but to buy a monster compactor and turn a dumpsters worth of trash into a 3x6 foot bale. Remember this is the same government so many tell us has a obligation to make rules for how we all live. As a Libertarian I may not agree but the rules are there not just because of rules but because of the concern for public health. We couldn't donate that food to the homeless because poultry, fish and milk products can spoil very quickly after the use by date. Ever smell a carton of milk 2 day after the use by date? I do not believe that smell comes from good milk, sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.