Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

What are some of the fastest folding bikes?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

What are some of the fastest folding bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 09:13 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinholecam
I can see where Abu Mahendra is coming from.
(Being in SEA and not in the US)
There are loads of folding/mini velo bike options here in SEA (often at good prices).
Someone based here gets to try/see lots of the bikes mentioned.

I too seem to see that there is a view here that the BF (and often Brompton) being the only best options. (implying most other stuff being 'cheap copies', inferior workmanship, etc)
Is it really true or is it because of the realities of availability, price (imported vs local), perception of quality, vocal user base?
Even the general size/weight/height of the user base play a part in this perception.

Take a Tyrell FX for instance.
Its a really nice bike, speedy, configurable, etc.
Sadly, most of the available English info on them are limited to distributor and 'self love' selfies type material.
Other info being in Chinese (from HK, Taiwan, China), and Japanese (where the bike originates).

The BF on the other hand, being more readily available in the US (which folks tend to be more vocal and willing to create good content), will turn out lots of good info/material on real world usage upon a google search.
That's what I am talking about
Old 11-16-16, 09:54 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Both Bike Friday and Brompton have done a good job of building a community of loyalists.

Even though Dahon has sold many more bikes worldwide they have not built a community.

The company Story of Being Built in Downtown London to Help solve London Traffic.

The BF Company Story of Custom Made for you Right here in Oregon.
Selling Direct has also been a key to success for BF. No distributor margin and no bike shop margin has allowed them to be profitable in a fairly small scale manufacturing.
Old 11-16-16, 10:03 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
Both Bike Friday and Brompton have done a good job of building a community of loyalists.

Even though Dahon has sold many more bikes worldwide they have not built a community.

The company Story of Being Built in Downtown London to Help solve London Traffic.

The BF Company Story of Custom Made for you Right here in Oregon.
Selling Direct has also been a key to success for BF. No distributor margin and no bike shop margin has allowed them to be profitable in a fairly small scale manufacturing.
Yeah, but someone is going to show up and tell you his country is bigger and better and matters more, so screw England and the US. I don't know how this nationalist crap got started here, but it's quickly overrunning any coherent conversation about folding bikes.
Old 11-16-16, 10:30 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Actually, long before one guy from Indonesia showed up here, Dahon minivelos were already appreciated and used by some very prominent forumers. Remember SesameCrunch with his Dahon Hammerhead? And of course he was far from the only one. Only, these guys didn't make demeaning chauvinistic statements.
Old 11-16-16, 10:41 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Wrong again, mate. I am American. What you and others misconstrue for 'nationalism' or as 'chauvinistic' [sic] is simply an awareness and sensitivity, derived from having lived abroad for many years in many different places, about the proper place of my own country and an antidote to the belief of many Americans and of those of the West that the world revolves around them. We are not in Kansas anymore, Toto. It's the 21st century. In any case, this bit about prior appreciation for Dahons is a straw-man because the debate is not about lack of love for Dahons, but rather fawning, obsequious, I dare say, even religious devotion for another brand. i question your dogma, and I am on an inquisitorial rack worthy of medieval Spain.

Originally Posted by jur
Actually, long before one guy from Indonesia showed up here, Dahon minivelos were already appreciated and used by some very prominent forumers. Remember SesameCrunch with his Dahon Hammerhead? And of course he was far from the only one. Only, these guys didn't make demeaning chauvinistic statements.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 11-17-16 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-17-16, 07:10 AM
snafu22
Decafflete

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
“The company Story of Being Built in Downtown London to Help solve London Traffic.”

We have to be careful of swallowing the jingo-istic Cult of Brompton myth, hook, line and sinker. Will Butler-Adams is a bicycle salesman. He hasn’t solved any of London’s traffic problems. The Brompton factory is 9 miles away from 'downtown London.'

His position is that Transport for London shouldn’t be investing in more Underground train services, but more cycle paths. The simple issue of cycling in London has been given the stance of militant political activism, with the Brompton elevated to a symbol of ‘freedom’ by the man who sells them.

This ignores the 7 million other Londoners for whom riding a Brompton to work would be the worst possible form of torture.

The Brompton’s saving feature is that it makes better luggage than a bicycle. Both Butler-Adams and Ritchie freely admit this. Yet everywhere, the ‘weirdos’ (quoting Butler-Adams) elevate the Brompton to some sort of apotheosis of life-style, when the reality is that it’s just a convenient bent-steel utility bike which costs three times the price of a better spec import, but fits under a desk.

The romanticised Cult of Brompton turns some people (not all) into narcissistic and elitist onanists, who judge themselves by what they’ve bought, and others by what they haven’t.

Not all of us have drunk the Butler-Adams Kool-Aid.

Last edited by snafu22; 11-17-16 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-17-16, 11:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You slap the back of the saddle forward, and lift the back of the bike UP . the cable attached to the seat mast, opens that Clamp, lets the bar mast fall ,
and so.. the Bike Friday Hyper Fold Tikit was Made to be the fastest folding folding Bike ..

Old 11-17-16, 12:45 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The U of rolling resistance going back up as pressure in a tire gets higher until it was clearly shown is one of those facts many would have argued against.
Absolutely. I think Sheldon Brown wrote a blip on this prior to the research over the past ... 7 years or so.
Old 11-17-16, 01:00 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
I think the archives completely verifies Jur's post above. It certainly matches my memory of lots of folks with Dahons, Downtubes, Birdys, and so on. There are folks of all flavors -- including levels of bias -- around here.

Anyway, I remain comfortable labelling the previous conversation as trolling. So there is little more to write, IMO.
Old 11-17-16, 03:12 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Listen guys
my personal facebook page is full of political crap. I hoped after this insane pre election debacle and the divisiveness which resulted from it, those mental posts and shares would disappear. But unfortunately they even seem to get more vicious.

We all love our foldies and this forum is the best knowledge grab anybody can find.
Please, please, forget that "new" normal and be civil with each other.

Thor
Old 11-17-16, 03:23 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 595 Posts
Has anyone noticed the upcoming Dahon Speed D30? It looks like it's going to be AMAZING!!!

Old 11-17-16, 03:26 PM
ExpertTools

Bikes: 2013 Specialized S-Works Roubaix, 1980 Colnago, Litespeed Ocoee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently rode a Tern Verge X10, and at 21lbs it's very close in weight to some of the much more costly folders, at a small fraction of the price. I was able to keep up with a group of fairly serious riders all on carbon road bikes, so I was pretty impressed with the Tern.

So while not in line with a discussion of fastest at any price, at $1,500 it a lot of speed for the money.
Old 11-17-16, 04:47 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
Listen guys
my personal facebook page is full of political crap. I hoped after this insane pre election debacle and the divisiveness which resulted from it, those mental posts and shares would disappear. But unfortunately they even seem to get more vicious.

We all love our foldies and this forum is the best knowledge grab anybody can find.
Please, please, forget that "new" normal and be civil with each other.

Thor
I have to agree with Thor on this. I have found this forum to be very informative and useful. I have no interest in Terns, Dahons, or Bike Fridays in terms of ownership but I still find the approaches taken by the small-wheel/folder engineers from all the different companies fascinating. I do not find name calling, put downs of others or bombastic pronouncements and other egotistical behaviors interesting.
Old 11-17-16, 10:18 PM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Yeah, but someone is going to show up and tell you his country is bigger and better and matters more, so screw England and the US. I don't know how this nationalist crap got started here, but it's quickly overrunning any coherent conversation about folding bikes.
That was not my point. It is kinda understandable.

All the different models are not available in different areas.
Old 11-17-16, 11:12 PM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have really enjoyed looking at and learning about the different bikes.
Old 11-18-16, 05:16 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
All else being equal I would have thought that the Airnimal Chameleon deserves a mention. It was specifically designed to have road bike qualities and is a popular choice of racing men when they have training camps which are abroad and they have to use air travel.

Chameleon Performance Sport | Airnimal
Old 11-18-16, 08:35 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by onbike 1939
All else being equal I would have thought that the Airnimal Chameleon deserves a mention. It was specifically designed to have road bike qualities and is a popular choice of racing men when they have training camps which are abroad and they have to use air travel.

Good choice, problem is the Chameleon looks as if it was designed with the intention of going fast. What is wanted here is something that looks like an old clanger / clown bike but actually goes like the wind so that you can sneak up and give road bike riders a fright.
Old 11-18-16, 08:41 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
Good choice, problem is the Chameleon looks as if it was designed with the intention of going fast. What is wanted here is something that looks like an old clanger / clown bike but actually goes like the wind so that you can sneak up and give road bike riders a fright.

I had one for many years and I was searingly fast....at one time breaking my 12mph record.

It was a one-off but very rewarding.
Old 11-18-16, 10:22 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by onbike 1939

Really nice bike. I test rode one at College Park Bikes years ago. What killed it here are ...

(1) lack of ERTO 520 tires ... I recall seeing a Panaracer Pasela tire.

(2) the suitcase was too big for US airlines

(3) the lack of US dealers/support.

I thought that they should have dropped the caliper brakes and make it easily compatible with 507 wheels like the Joey. The selection would remain terrible; but you'd have a handful more including a Kojak and some racing BMX tires.

Last edited by invisiblehand; 11-18-16 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-18-16, 11:39 AM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why 507 instead of 451? I'm just confused.
Old 11-18-16, 01:29 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why 507 instead of 451? I'm just confused.
I don't understand the question. Are you asking why one would use 24" wheels instead of 20"? Or are you asking why a bike designed for ERTO 520 wheels could not also use ERTO 451 wheels?

Some folks like bigger wheels for different reasons ... the feel of the bike versus simple aesthetics. It's more straightforward to get a high trail bike with a bigger wheel.

I'd think that any bike that fits 520 wheels would have pedal or bottom bracket strike issues with 451 unless the tire was wildly bigger. But there are few wide tires in 451. None that I know of to compensate for the big change in radius. As an aside, there are bikes designed for ERTO 622, 584, 559 wheels but for different width (height) tires.
Old 11-18-16, 01:41 PM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am just assuming that 507 tires are really rare. I did not realize that was the 24" decimal size.
Old 11-18-16, 02:45 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
There are far fewer choices in 507, that's correct. But still enough for it to be no problem.
Old 11-18-16, 05:15 PM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
Has anyone noticed the upcoming Dahon Speed D30? It looks like it's going to be AMAZING!!!

https://youtu.be/nK-AQx9gQSU
Good to see Dahon stepping up to the plate with some new models, I just hope they get them out and onto the shop floor so people can see, ride and hopefully buy them. Folderwise all you see in London bike shops are Brompton, with a smattering of Terns in Evans, and Dahon as rare as hens teeth. It's only the likes of Velorution and Bike Fix, and W9 Fudges, niche outlets, who have anything rarified like Arnimal, Ori, Pacific Reach, or Moulton.
Old 11-19-16, 01:03 AM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Folders are very unavailable in the Northwestern US also. I have never seen more than two folding bikes in a shop at the same time.

Not many shops get behind folders and push them except in some big cities. If you look at a map with all the Dahon Dealers in the US ---there are tons of shops. But it seems very few of them ever have more than one or two in stock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.