Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

It took days for my tube to stop leaking

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-21, 06:57 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

I have been running tubeless sealant in tubes on my fat bike. I might get a small puncture which the sealant seals, maybe once a month. I might get a large puncture which it does not seal, maybe once a year.

When you do get that large puncture, you realize there are a lot of other small holes which the sealant has sealed, but leak again when you take the tube out. You may patch the largest, but leave the sealant to reseal the rest.

Recently I put a new tire on my bike, but continued using the previous tube, which had sealant in it. I changed it in the evening, and went for a ride for ten minutes as it was getting late. The next morning, it had lost about 75% of its air. So I pumped it up and went cycling. The next morning, it had lost maybe half its air. I pumped it up and went riding the next day. Each morning it had lost some air, but less than the day before. After about five days, it stopped leaking.

It probably has a larger hole, but I did not check as it was not leaking in the old tire. Small holes normally seal quickly. They can seal before the tire loses 5% of its pressure.

I am sharing this, as there may be others who think there sealant is not working. It may just need more time.
Old 04-28-21, 08:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I thought there was a difference between sealant for tubes and sealant for tubeless tires. Or do some brands work for both?
Old 04-28-21, 08:39 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I thought there was a difference between sealant for tubes and sealant for tubeless tires. Or do some brands work for both?
I don’t see why there should be a difference. The sealant is doing the same thing in both tubes and tires. Tubes might actually be easier to seal since the sealant is only sealing through a thin rubber membrane. In a tubeless tire, the sealant has to seal through rubber and fabric. The “loss” of sealant in a tubeless tire is probably due to the solvent moving though the rubber and getting sucked up by the fabric. There’s a lot of fabric so a lot of sealant can be sucked into it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-30-21, 05:21 AM
lateflyer 

Bikes: Giant Sedona CS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After reading through this post a few times I now have questions since experiencing tire inflation problems riding home from work. Tires are becoming pretty weather checked and the original tubes still inside since I bought the bike used in 2012. I was planning on replacing tires and tubes especially since I had to inflate my back tire halfway home on a 10 mile ride which I attributed to a rough road with some large crushed rock. I knew there was sealant for tubeless tires but didn't consider sealant for tube tires. Is this something you should add when putting on new tubes or do you use it after experiencing a leak? I have always known and frowned at fix a flat users as you still have to fix your flat and the tire repair shops really love taking a tire off filled with that goo.
Thank you for tolerating my ignorance on this subject.
Chuck
Old 04-30-21, 08:11 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by lateflyer
After reading through this post a few times I now have questions since experiencing tire inflation problems riding home from work. Tires are becoming pretty weather checked and the original tubes still inside since I bought the bike used in 2012. I was planning on replacing tires and tubes especially since I had to inflate my back tire halfway home on a 10 mile ride which I attributed to a rough road with some large crushed rock. I knew there was sealant for tubeless tires but didn't consider sealant for tube tires. Is this something you should add when putting on new tubes or do you use it after experiencing a leak? I have always known and frowned at fix a flat users as you still have to fix your flat and the tire repair shops really love taking a tire off filled with that goo.
Thank you for tolerating my ignorance on this subject.
Chuck
People are always blaming rocks for flats. I’ve had thousands of flats and not one of them has ever been due to a rock on the road. Even flats due to snake bites are due to low pressure, not due to the rock you might hit.

As to sealant in tubes, there are several products out there. Some people like them and others hate them. I, personally, fall into the latter camp. They are messy to deal with. They are heavy. They are difficult to fix if the sealant doesn’t work and, in my experience, the sealant seldom works. The sealant isn’t like Fix-Your-Flat, however. For tubes it’s usually contained in the tube.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-30-21, 08:15 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
I'm not sure why one goes through the trouble of putting tubeless sealant it tubes. Just set them up tubeless and be done with it.
Old 04-30-21, 08:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don’t see why there should be a difference. The sealant is doing the same thing in both tubes and tires. Tubes might actually be easier to seal since the sealant is only sealing through a thin rubber membrane. In a tubeless tire, the sealant has to seal through rubber and fabric. The “loss” of sealant in a tubeless tire is probably due to the solvent moving though the rubber and getting sucked up by the fabric. There’s a lot of fabric so a lot of sealant can be sucked into it.
No, I admit I'm really just imagining and supposing. However I thought I read on one container of tire sealant that it was not for use in tubes. I don't uses tubeless, nor do I need tubes with sealant. So it was just a "hmm, I wonder why they say that".

So in my ponderings about it, I came up with the tubeless tire only leaks through the tire to the air. So a plug forming in the tread will seal and hold. In a tubed tire it has to leak through the tube and tire. If the sealant only forms a plug in the tire, then the tube can still leak into the tire cavity.

But it's all supposing, and I've absolutely no experience with them. But as my fist response implied, if the sealant mfr doesn't state for tubes, then I would look for one that does say for tubes.
Old 04-30-21, 05:14 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I'm not sure why one goes through the trouble of putting tubeless sealant it tubes. Just set them up tubeless and be done with it.
Because not all tires and rims are made to go tubeless.

All leaks are not created equal. The sealant makes no promises. It is just a sealant.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-30-21, 05:34 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I don't see a lot of harm in trying it. I'm using Continental Revo sealant just now. It states that it can be used in tubulars and in tubes. If it doesn't perform well, I plan to try Caffelatex or OrangeSeal.

It's relatively easy to install these sealants using an oral medication syringe and a piece of plastic tubing that fits over the valve stem. My tubulars and clinchers all have replaceable valve stems. I've been using 40Ml in each tube and I have even had to reverse tire and tube on a clincher wheel and was able to do so without disturbing the installed sealant.

Time will tell how well this preventative method works. I do not notice the added weight or any performance issues.
Old 05-01-21, 03:22 AM
tomtomtom123

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
if you have to deflate the tires often to get the bike to fit in a tight space during transport.
If you have to deflate the tires to get the wheels off the bike through narrow v brakes.
If you need to remove or exchange the tire several times per year.
I imagine it would be extremely messy if it were tubeless and with sealant. If the sealant was in a tube, it would be much cleaner without it spilling or leaking.
Old 05-01-21, 05:28 AM
alo

Originally Posted by Iride01
The first brand I used was tubeless sealant. It is marketed primarily for cars and trucks, but I use it in bicycle tubes.

A new brand I started using lately, is written in Japanese or Chinese, so I don't know what it says. Again, I think it is marketed primarily for cars and trucks.

There are some brands sold as tubeless sealant. There are other brands sold for putting in tubes.

I don't mind experimenting. I try new things to see what I learn. I don't care if it is manufactured for tubeless or tubes. There are things I have learnt by doing this, that I did not know before.
Old 05-01-21, 05:35 AM
alo

Is this something you should add when putting on new tubes or do you use it after experiencing a leak?
The downside with sealant, is when you have a large puncture, and do want to patch a tube, it is difficult to stop a little sealant leaking, which prevents the patch from sticking.

So I am tending to wait until I have a leak before adding sealant.

I had a slow leak in my car. I put sealant in it. My car had one tire with sealant, and the others without.
Old 05-01-21, 05:42 AM
alo

Not all tires are suitable for tubeless.

It avoids the need for a compressor and air tank to seal the bead.

Sealant in tubeless tires can be much more messy when removing the tire.

I just replaced a tire, but reused the tube. The sealant is still in the tube. When the tube is not damaged, there is no mess. If I had tubeless, I would probably have to replace the sealant.
Old 05-01-21, 05:53 AM
alo

Different people live and ride in different places. We also have different types of bikes and tires. We are not exposed to the same things. What may be ideal for someone, may not be ideal for another person.

For a while, I was thinking of not using sealant, because sealant leaking makes it difficult to patch large punctures. But I have small punctures which the sealant seals, maybe once a month, and large punctures which the sealant wont seal, maybe once a year. So I decided to continue using sealant. I may need to replace tubes more often, because of the difficulty in patching them. But to have flat tires much less often is a huge benefit, particularly when you have a flat tire far from home.
Old 05-01-21, 02:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,974 Times in 1,919 Posts
If you are inflating to a high psi, try using sealant meant for a tubeless road tire. Or just try it anyway? Just try to stay with a product that wouldn't have conflict when/if laced to a different compound.
Old 05-02-21, 05:38 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
After about five days, it stopped leaking.
"All bleeding eventually stops."
Old 05-02-21, 06:48 PM
lateflyer 

Bikes: Giant Sedona CS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Put new tires and tubes on today and discovered, after 9 years of ownership, that previous owner had actually put sealer in rear tube rather than patching the tube. This helped explained to me why my rear would lose air faster than my front during longer lapses of use.
Old 05-03-21, 07:27 AM
RickJay

Bikes: eBikeling converted REI Co-Op CTY 2.1

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
You don't have to like the product but check out the FAQ for Tube Sealant and Tire Sealant on the https://www.slime.com/us/faq.php
Old 05-03-21, 08:38 AM
cyccommute 

Put new tires and tubes on today and discovered, after 9 years of ownership, that previous owner had actually put sealer in rear tube rather than patching the tube. This helped explained to me why my rear would lose air faster than my front during longer lapses of use.
Sealant has a shelf and use life. It doesn’t extend to 9 years.

Old 05-03-21, 08:59 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
if you have to deflate the tires often to get the bike to fit in a tight space during transport.
If you have to deflate the tires to get the wheels off the bike through narrow v brakes.
You can do this with tubeless.

If you need to remove or exchange the tire several times per year.
Why would you need to do this?
Old 05-06-21, 06:34 AM
tomtomtom123

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
You can do this with tubeless.

Why would you need to do this?
But if you deflate the tires and lay it on the side or put it in a box and it gets tumbled, I assume that during transport the tubeless sealant will leak out all over the place.
Old 05-06-21, 09:23 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
But if you deflate the tires and lay it on the side or put it in a box and it gets tumbled, I assume that during transport the tubeless sealant will leak out all over the place.
You assume wrong. The tire beads stay tight to the rim.

Bottom line...Running tubeless sealant in tubes is just silly.
Old 05-06-21, 11:20 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don’t see why there should be a difference. The sealant is doing the same thing in both tubes and tires. Tubes might actually be easier to seal since the sealant is only sealing through a thin rubber membrane.
The big difference is that tube can move relative to tire carcass. So as the tube flexes and distorts the sealant plug gets knocked loose. With a tubeless tire, the carcass is thicker and the sealant plug is a bit more stationary due to the stability of the tire carcass. Sealant in tubes is definitely less effective than a proper tubeless system.
Likes For gsa103:
Old 05-06-21, 01:04 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by gsa103
The big difference is that tube can move relative to tire carcass. So as the tube flexes and distorts the sealant plug gets knocked loose. With a tubeless tire, the carcass is thicker and the sealant plug is a bit more stationary due to the stability of the tire carcass. Sealant in tubes is definitely less effective than a proper tubeless system.
With sealant in the tube, the plug is in the tube, not the tire. It doesn’t matter if the tube moves relative to the tire carcass.