Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

These are the golden days.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

These are the golden days.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-23, 07:00 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
...there wasn't a population of drivers who actively wanted to harass us by rolling coal or just simply driving pickup trucks that are double the size that they used to be.
I can remember getting yelled at for no good reason maybe half the rides I went on. Where I live you see bicycles in the countryside often, and drivers for the most part leave me alone as long as I don't ride in the middle of the road.
Old 10-22-23, 07:04 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Great Post...

Looking over it all I think Reflective Clothing and Lighting have been my most appreciated advancements...
Old 10-22-23, 08:05 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Bottom line: no doubt there are jerks and clueless idiots out there today, and I certainly still have to use my "outdoor voice" sometimes to get a dumb driver's attention when I am out. But the car-bike interface is, on average, much better now than then. Perfect? No. Better? Absolutely, and by a lot.

This may not be the case where you are, but it certainly is in the Bay Area, and especially in the East Bay.
I'll defer here; since I've moved many times, it's not really fair for me to claim that I've made an authentic longitudinal study. I got into cycling in the mid-80's in the Hudson Valley in New York, where the roads were good and mostly empty in between towns. I might have been in the perfect position between cosmopolitan New York City and rural outskirts. I could ride for hours and never feel threatened, Or maybe I was just clueless... I'm now living in Seattle where the population density is orders of magnitude higher, so I have more negative interactions than I ever did in the 80's. But I also am interacting with far more drivers. I'm glad other riders feel like there's now more civility rather than less.

Last edited by mhespenheide; 10-22-23 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-22-23, 08:09 PM
DMNHCAGrandPrix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 23 Posts
Yes, plenty of equípment choices today. But somehow my BODY isn't working quite like it did when I was 14 years old getting my first 10-speed during the 1970's bike boom! Currently enjoying golden day bikes but with golden year fitness levels.
Likes For DMNHCAGrandPrix:
Old 10-23-23, 04:51 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
Some things are worse, some things are better. I disagree completely that the state of brick and mortar bike shops is better. Thank God for the internet. One thing that has changed completely-and not for the good of the sport- is the fact that the vast majority of the products that are available to us are made by larger companies than ever. They have no emotional commitment to the sport, but they do have marketing departments. It has become increasingly difficult to buy what you want as opposed to what the industry wants you to have.
Likes For El Chaba:
Old 10-23-23, 06:52 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Looking over it all I think Reflective Clothing and Lighting have been my most appreciated advancements...
Yeah. Clearly, Manard and a bunch of folks never ride at twilight or night.

Lights. Word.