Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cycling with kids on a trailer

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cycling with kids on a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 04:17 PM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Whoa, a whole bunch of bad assumptions and even made up statistics trying to validate them. Not to mention the attemps of blame the cyclist anytime a motorist/cyclist collision occurs associated with a MUP.
please take a moment to list the 'made up statistics'.

I only made two assumptions:
That a MUP will not have cars on it
That a cyclist who is intelligent enough to stop at intersections would also be intelligent enough to make sure the way was clear before venturing into the road.

Really think you should re-read your posts before you start mentioninmg made up statistics.

If you don't like MUPs, stay off them.

Ken.
Old 10-09-09, 05:42 PM
FSM
-------

Bikes: Orbea Onix; Cannondale F600

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kiddy trailer

I tried to get my daughter to ride in one of those when she was about two.

She wouldn't get in the thing, and we tried to show her it was OK by putting a couple of her dolls in first and riding them around. The trailer hit the curb on the way into the driveway and the trailer flipped over.

I'm glad she refused to get in, because I now know it's not safe. I was hit by a car last summer and if I had been carrying my daughter in a trailer, she would surely have been dead.
Old 10-09-09, 06:17 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by RazrSkutr
True. While the danger from accidents is roughly the same cycling vastly reduces your chances of heart disease.
Whatz it do for the trailered children's chances of heart disease?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-09-09 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-09-09, 06:19 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by kendall
On mups, car/cycle interactions are seriously reduced, the only time you see a car is when you are (or should be) expecting it, and alert to it. Many of the MUPs I ride have intersections roughly a mile apart. So, just to put the proper bent to it, If you assume that every car WAS out to get a bicycle stamp on the fender, if I'm on a mup and crossing a street with 60 cars an hour, my chance of getting hit by a car is about 1 in every 4 minutes. If I'm on the road with 60 cars an hour, my odds of getting hit by a car are 1 for every minute I'm on the road. (actual odds would be different because of actual driving while distracted statistics, but they'd share the same ratios mup vs road)While riding on the road, it only takes a momentary distraction for a driver to take you out. (Oh that's real good Lisa, >THUMP< OH, what was that?...)

Since many more cars are within three feet of you on the road than on a MUP, the actual chance of contact with a car is much lower, So, I'd have to say the mup is safer.
please take a moment to list the 'made up statistics'.

I only made two assumptions:
That a MUP will not have cars on it
That a cyclist who is intelligent enough to stop at intersections would also be intelligent enough to make sure the way was clear before venturing into the road.

Really think you should re-read your posts before you start mentioninmg made up statistics.

If you don't like MUPs, stay off them.

Ken.
You forgot your assumption that "If you assume that every car WAS out to get a bicycle stamp on the fender"

And you are the one trying to give statistical numbers that are made up. So why accuse me of your transgressions.

Please cite an actual study to support you statistics. Until then, they are just pretent numbers.
Old 10-09-09, 06:29 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
My twins and their older sister all managed to grow up intact and fond of bicycling without the benefit of safety nannies pestering their father with their alarmist baloney.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Twins 1983.jpg (22.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-09-09, 07:09 PM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You forgot your assumption that "If you assume that every car WAS out to get a bicycle stamp on the fender"

And you are the one trying to give statistical numbers that are made up. So why accuse me of your transgressions.

Please cite an actual study to support you statistics. Until then, they are just pretent numbers.
My numbers were not presented as facts or statistics they were purely illustrative and clearly visible as such. (Note the IF statement in your quote above)

I did not say say "ALL cars are out to get a bicycle stamp on the fender" which would be a statement.
What I said was "If you assume that every car WAS out to get a bicycle stamp on the fender" used purely to illustrate a hypothetical situation.

Notice the IF preceeding each statement I made, which clearly identifies the statement as hypothetical or illustrative.

As opposed to your statements:

(part deleted as it has no bearing here) "And we know that MUPs are no safer."

"That is exactly the point, as those crossing make the MUPs as or more dangerous than riding the roads."

Those are statements of opinion presented as fact, where is your data? where are the facts to back your statements up?

Why was your response an 'attack' instead of providing facts to back up your statement?

Ken
Old 10-09-09, 11:13 PM
adamtki

Bikes: Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is not even safe for the walkers on a MUP:
Yeah, so? We're not talking about what's dangerous for walkers here.
Old 10-09-09, 11:20 PM
adamtki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeshoup
Personally, I would have no problems carrying a kid in a trailer. I may rethink some of the roads I take, but in general, I would feel safe with one.
We agree here. This is the main point I had.

Originally Posted by mikeshoup
When was the last time you had to cross a street on a MUP?

The actual separated part of the path may be safer, but I would consider the intersections with streets much more dangerous. Drivers are not generally looking for cyclists or people at intersections with MUPs.
Again, that's my point. Riding on the roads is more dangerous because there are more streets to cross.

Regarding whether crossing one street from an MUP is more dangerous than crossing one street from the road, I'd have to disagree. I think drivers ARE in generally more aware of MUP crossings than a bike lane or sidewalk crossing. We'll just have to leave that as a difference of opinion.

And how dangerous it is is really dependent on the cyclist. You have cyclists that expect cars to stop and you have cyclists that expect cars not to stop. Since this part is in your control, you can easily make MUP road crossing safer.
Old 10-09-09, 11:39 PM
adamtki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
With the potential speed differential being what it is between motor vehicles and bicycles, except in a traffic jam situation, the speed of the bike is not particularly pertinent. It might make the cyclist feel better, but it doesn't really matter if the bike is going 12 or 20.
At 12 miles an hour, for a given distance, you'll have almost twice as many cars that will need to pass you and each one of them will be a lot more itchin' more likely to be irate to try to pass you. Try driving behind a 12 mph cyclist vs at 20. 12 mph is immensely slow for a car. Also at 12mph, drivers have almost half the time to react to your presence. This is important around blind curves or when a car switches out of the lane behind you to pass only to surprise the car that was behind them of your presence. It's also important cause drivers get districted with a lot of stuff and having 10s to see you're there vs 6s is a big difference. Trust me, it's not just a safety illusion in the cyclist' mind.

Are you saying the only crashes that matter are those that result in a death? Oh well, pardon me then, but I count crashes that may result in serious or chronic injury. That being the case, yes, sharing a MUP can be more dangerous than sharing a road. In fact, I have found MUPs to be the most dangerous place to ride only behind sidewalks. Thankfully there aren't many in this area. Compared to MUP users, road users tend to move in an at least somewhat orderly and predictable manner.
Not only deaths, but serious or chronic injury. The chances of one of those is a lot higher with a car collision vs an MUP collision. And in an MUP, you have a greater degree of control regarding accidents. It's really up to you how close you want to pass that ipod listening roller blader.
Old 10-09-09, 11:42 PM
adamtki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
My twins and their older sister all managed to grow up intact and fond of bicycling without the benefit of safety nannies pestering their father with their alarmist baloney.
That's actually safer than a trailer.
Old 10-10-09, 01:51 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
My numbers were not presented as facts or statistics they were purely illustrative and clearly visible as such. (Note the IF statement in your quote above)

I did not say say "ALL cars are out to get a bicycle stamp on the fender" which would be a statement.
What I said was "If you assume that every car WAS out to get a bicycle stamp on the fender" used purely to illustrate a hypothetical situation.

Notice the IF preceeding each statement I made, which clearly identifies the statement as hypothetical or illustrative.

As opposed to your statements:

(part deleted as it has no bearing here) "And we know that MUPs are no safer."

"That is exactly the point, as those crossing make the MUPs as or more dangerous than riding the roads."

Those are statements of opinion presented as fact, where is your data? where are the facts to back your statements up?

Why was your response an 'attack' instead of providing facts to back up your statement?

Ken
You are the one that started popping off numbers to try and support (illustrate ) whatever valueless point you were failing to make. So put up your study or stop popping out pointless numbers.
Old 10-10-09, 02:24 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamtki
That's actually safer than a trailer.
You don't tow a trailer at all do you? Hopefully you also don't carry children on a bicycle. From a seat perched up high on the bike the impact to a kid just falling to the ground is much greater. That's going to happen in any kind of crash for any reason. Even if the bike simply falls over. Never happens with a two wheeled trailer. In the unlikely even that a trailer can be made to turn over, which is much more easily said than done, the kid never comes in contact with the ground at all if properly buckled in, and is further protected by the frame.

Post #59 is all wishful thinking.

Over the years, several members of this forum have described being given more room by passing motorists when towing a trailer. I have found this to be true whether the trailer is a kiddie trailer, a flatbed utility trailer, or a 14 1/2' canoe.

Last edited by CommuterRun; 10-10-09 at 02:46 AM.
Old 10-10-09, 04:01 AM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've toted a kid down steep hills at 35 mph in a trailer, on a road, with traffic.

My biggest problem?

"Do it again, Daddy!! Do it AGAIN!"
Old 10-10-09, 11:18 AM
GodsBassist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajenkins
I've toted a kid down steep hills at 35 mph in a trailer, on a road, with traffic.

My biggest problem?

Or the constant: "Go faster!"

"Well then maybe you should get up here and pedal this thing." >.<
Old 10-10-09, 01:02 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajenkins

My biggest problem?

Originally Posted by GodsBassist
Or the constant: "Go faster!"

"Well then maybe you should get up here and pedal this thing." >.<
You don't tow a trailer at all do you? Hopefully you also don't carry children on a bicycle. From a seat perched up high on the bike the impact to a kid just falling to the ground is much greater. That's going to happen in any kind of crash for any reason. Even if the bike simply falls over. Never happens with a two wheeled trailer. In the unlikely even that a trailer can be made to turn over, which is much more easily said than done, the kid never comes in contact with the ground at all if properly buckled in, and is further protected by the frame.

Over the years, several members of this forum have described being given more room by passing motorists when towing a trailer. I have found this to be true whether the trailer is a kiddie trailer, a flatbed utility trailer, or a 14 1/2' canoe.
Yep, just like us "big kids" they love speed.

And even in the unlikely event that one is able to tip over a trailer so long as the kiddies aren't hurt they're likely to ask for that to be repeated as well.
Old 10-10-09, 04:11 PM
adamtki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes I do tow a trailer as I've already mentioned. And yes, injuries from a fall will be greater if you carry a child. But it's definitely more maneuverable which means it's easier to avoid accidents in the first place. So one could argue one way or the other on that one.

???

Yes, the consider ones will give you more room. But the inattentive reckless ones will still be there.
Old 10-10-09, 04:25 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
And even in the unlikely event that one is able to tip over a trailer so long as the kiddies aren't hurt they're likely to ask for that to be repeated as well.
My dogs didn't enjoy that at all!!! :-(

Trailer is much more unstable with two labs that can move around, as opposed to one or two kids that are properly buckled in!

I've tipped the trailer three times now... always when the dogs move to the outside of the turn while I'm making a tight turn. They've never been hurt in any of these accidents... in fact the first time they were really freaked out... until they realized they were in a park. Loose. With no leashes. Took me 10 minutes to round them up(they were having a blast chasing each other!), and a good bit of coaxing to get them back into the trailer!
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 10-10-09, 04:37 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamtki
Regarding whether crossing one street from an MUP is more dangerous than crossing one street from the road, I'd have to disagree. I think drivers ARE in generally more aware of MUP crossings than a bike lane or sidewalk crossing. We'll just have to leave that as a difference of opinion.
Its a matter of anecdotal evidence.

There's a MUP here in Denver that part of it ends up intersection with about five streets in a row. These roads also intersect with the street adjacent to the MUP. I've ridden both the MUP and adjacent street. The adjacent street is much safer. Most drivers tend to ignore the crosswalk for the MUP and stop at their stop signs for the adjacent street. Riding the MUP there were way too many close calls. On the adjacent street, I never had a problem.

I still will never feel a MUP crossing a street is safer than a street crossing a street.
Old 10-10-09, 09:37 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I find towing the low Burley D'Lite trailer to be more maneuverable than a child seat with the extra weight up high. The D'Lite corners very well with its wide wheelbase and low center of gravity. I have no concerns riding 20+ mph with it. I am certain that my kids are safer with me pulling them in the trailer than they will be when they start riding their own bikes on these same streets.