Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Calling all experienced cold weather riders...

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 09:53 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

Looking to purchase a good quality balaclava. I've seen several, and I'm sure some were absolute junk. So, seeking some advice from you riders that have experience with them. Which ones really keep you warm, breaths well, doesn't affect your breathing, and is super comfortable?
Old 11-28-16, 10:39 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Do you need a balacava in TN? Just asking. I like the pearl izumi barrier balacava but I avoid using it as much as possible,

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-I.../dp/B0055QGORC

It works great but I prefer a hat; it has to be bloody cold before I'll use it.
Old 11-29-16, 02:01 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I really like Seirus outerwear products

Balaclava is on sale: https://www.amazon.com/Seirus-Innova.../dp/B003X0BUX0
Old 11-29-16, 05:45 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Do you need a balacava in TN? Just asking. I like the pearl izumi barrier balacava but I avoid using it as much as possible,

It's gets down in the teens (and lower) here in the heart of the winter. It's not Canada cold, but cold nonetheless. I usually don't ride when it gets that cold, but want to change that this year. My head (ears!) and feet seem to get chilled the most, so if I can cure that I'll be a happy rider.
Old 11-29-16, 05:52 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by one4smoke
It's gets down in the teens (and lower) here in the heart of the winter. It's not Canada cold, but cold nonetheless. I usually don't ride when it gets that cold, but want to change that this year. My head (ears!) and feet seem to get chilled the most, so if I can cure that I'll be a happy rider.
Yeah everyone is a bit different. My head seems to do OK in the cold but my hands and feet do not. For feet, I ride a bike with bmx style pedals and use my insulated winter boots.
Old 11-29-16, 06:33 AM
Kkangilly

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp, Eddy Merckx La Corsa Extra 7 - Eleven, Klein Quantum Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have one of these, as well. Definitely works well and is very comfortable.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-16, 08:38 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Check out pearl izumi. I avoid putting it over my mouth unless it is less than 20 F. Use a poly pro or wool cap, get one that is long enough to double up over the ears. Then put a headband over your nose and cheeks. Last, pull up a buff or neck gaitor to cover your chin. So that leaves your nose and mouth open and covers the cheeks and nose.
Old 11-29-16, 09:06 AM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I wear a thin merino wool balaclava. It fits under my helmet and keeps me warm in the kind of weather the OP is talking about. I don't normally give much thought to brand names, and this is a commodity item anyway. FWIW
Old 11-29-16, 11:39 AM
jrbz

Bikes: 3 Kona 2 Rocky Mtn 1 Bianchi 1 Miele 1 Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah everyone is a bit different. My head seems to do OK in the cold but my hands and feet do not. For feet, I ride a bike with bmx style pedals and use my insulated winter boots.
I live in northern British Columbia and ride year round and ski in the winter. I think that qualifies as "Canada cold". The reason your head is OK is that your body is cutting off the blood flow to your hands and feet in order to keep your brain warm, it gets top priority. Wear a good winter hat, in this case a balaclava, and it will keep your hands and feet significantly warmer. I've had to explain this many times to mountain newbies, sometimes lending out my own balaclava, and they always end up buying their own. Insulated winter boots and insulated gloves or mitts are also a good idea.
Old 11-29-16, 11:50 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I used to ride year 'round in Boston and Ann Arbor; not owning a car. I could not have any fabric over my mouth and nose or my glasses fogged so I always had a bare face. Never got frostbite and did commutes that started as cold as -5F (every morning for a work week).

I now own a light, modern fabric balaclava but haven't tried it yet.

Riding without glasses is not an option for me.

Edit: have you considered using a helmet cover? Segoi makes a good one. A little extra head warmth with no drawbacks and all of your other options are still there.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 11-29-16 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-29-16, 12:02 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by jrbz
I live in northern British Columbia and ride year round and ski in the winter. I think that qualifies as "Canada cold". The reason your head is OK is that your body is cutting off the blood flow to your hands and feet in order to keep your brain warm, it gets top priority. Wear a good winter hat, in this case a balaclava, and it will keep your hands and feet significantly warmer. I've had to explain this many times to mountain newbies, sometimes lending out my own balaclava, and they always end up buying their own. Insulated winter boots and insulated gloves or mitts are also a good idea.
Very good point. I wear a hat and a neck gaitor that I can pull over my mouth. My hands get cold regardless of how I dress; I think everyone is engineered a bit different as well.
Old 11-29-16, 12:27 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I have a light nylon balaclava. I ride down to 10F and from 20F down to 10F I wear it. I just need to keep the cold air off my cheeks and the top of my head. From 35F and below and I wear a wide headband over the tops of my ears.
Old 11-29-16, 12:30 PM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I use a carhartt balaclava made for wearing under a hardhat. Thin yet warm.
Old 11-29-16, 02:00 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I haven't had any balaclava that actually worked all that well. I have found that it helps if there is an open area at the bottom to channel my moist breath away from the goggles though.
Old 11-29-16, 02:18 PM
KenshiBiker

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Icebreaker Merino Wool balaclava has worked best for me so far, but it only gets down into the 20s here (and then, only occasionally).
Old 11-30-16, 08:37 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Around freezing, I start using my hooded windbreaker. Around 5-10F, I add a thin wool cap underneath. I've tried various face coverings but all have interfered with glasses and breathing. I let my beard grow out a little more for winter though. The best protection is when it frosts/ices up and blocks the wind from reaching my face.
Old 12-02-16, 08:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
for me, I need to cover the bridge of my nose. don't be afraid to modify something with a pair of scissors. this one is tried & true. I liked it cuz I could wear safety glasses too & it allowed lots of ventilation. I need a big opening for mouth breathing

Old 12-02-16, 03:46 PM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
thin wool for me, but also relatively loose fit, and that's becoming increasingly hard to find. Even my favorite smartwool has converted to more elasticity in the fabric and a narrow neck that then compresses in under your chin, so I'm shopping again this winter as my two remaining loose ones are wearing thin. +1 on a helmet cover too. I wear the balacava as a beaning in the 40-50F range, and then full cover below that. Down around 15F and below I've started putting on a second one (that's why I like loose ones). In all configurations I pull the chin down so my mouth and nose are exposed as I don't like the sogginess of breathing through the fabric. Once we're below about 15F I also often use a half-mask respirator facepiece with the filtering cartridges removed, as a way to pre-warm and pre-humidify the air on the intake side while protecting my nose from frostbite. Looks a bit bizarre, but very comfortable, and in the winter the commute is in the dark at both ends anyhow so few people are observing me.
Old 12-03-16, 10:46 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tried many but i've settled on the woolpower balaclava 400 (70% merino, 30% polyamide) for below 20F and balaclava 200 for above. I use a dustmask to cover my nose and lips. Very happy with this setup.
Old 12-04-16, 07:46 PM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The Balaclava I use is 4-1 and works well for me. Got it from Kohl's. The face mask portion I can pull the fabric out towards the neck and prevents fog up of the glasses. I only wear it below thirty.. above that the hood on my jacket works fine. Lowest I went was single digits. And now that I've looked it's on sale and we have a couple coupons.. Can't beat $7.90 for a backup. Men's Tek Gear® 4-in-1 HeatTek Microfleece Hood

Last edited by esmith2039; 12-04-16 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-04-16, 11:16 PM
TuckamoreDew

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not a balaclava, but this mask has worked very well for me in a range of temperatures (approx -10c to -20ish c) and I combine it with different hats depending on the conditions of the day:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4003-2...ce-Combo-Scarf

I find it comfortable, easy to breath through and the only drawback is that is that the bottom of my nose can get cold at the lowest riding temperatures. I also like it because it minimizes fogging on my glasses.

Last edited by TuckamoreDew; 12-04-16 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-04-16, 11:45 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I found a spandex balaclava through Amazon. It shipped out of China, took forever to arrive, and cost very little. It has a full open face which is nice.... as the weather get really cold I can wear a cold air mask, and ski goggles.
Old 12-05-16, 04:06 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding around tonight for the first time in the mid-low 40s was very educational. Two issues that came up were my nose getting too cold, even under my thin neck/head tube, and my toes got too cold. Also got to much cold air on my eyes even while wearing glasses. I layered a few compression type long sleeved shirts, one of them being lined with a thin fleece like material, but that wasn't cutting it, so I ended up putting a mid-weight and lined jacked over it, and that worked out well. I was also wearing lined compression pants, but those didn't really cut it either. I've got some refining to do.

Last edited by AdvXtrm; 12-05-16 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-05-16, 08:12 AM
GrooveRite

Bikes: 2010 Rockhopper Expert Disc (26er)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
Riding around tonight for the first time in the mid-low 40s was very educational. Two issues that came up were my nose getting too cold, even under my thin neck/head tube, and my toes got too cold. Also got to much cold air on my eyes even while wearing glasses. I layered a few compression type long sleeved shirts, one of them being lined with a thin fleece like material, but that wasn't cutting it, so I ended up putting a mid-weight and lined jacked over it, and that worked out well. I was also wearing lined compression pants, but those didn't really cut it either. I've got some refining to do.
I'm currently refining my gear as well!

I bought some cheap poly thermal balaclava on Amazon but it was DEFINITELY to thin!! My face and ears were getting really cold but I quickly learned that headwind in the 40's cuts right through anything!! So I just returned it this past weekend and now I've ordered 4 others and I'm waiting for them to try out which will work best for me. I'm VERY sensitive to cold (especially in windy conditions!!) and this is my FIRST WINTER that I'll be cycling. NO MORE EXCUSES!! I'm cycling year round now baby!!

This is whats coming and will be trying out especially that we have a nice cold front coming over here soon, lol!

1. Pearl Izumi Barrier Balaclava

2. Chaos -CTR Howler Multi Tasker Pro Windproof Balaclava

3. Chaos -CTR Tempest Multi Tasker Pro Micro Fleece Balaclava with Windproof Face Mask

......and this is my other alternative but with either the Howler or Tempest as a neck gaiter....

4. Baleaf Thermal Helmet Cycling Ski Outdoor Skull Cap

.....I may try this later on as a base layer and then either one of the top Balaclava's that I eventually end up with or a Polartec windproof beanie from Turtle fur....

5. Louis Garneau Matrix 2.0 Balaclava

I'm going crazy here ordering stuff to winterize my ride but I'm determined!!

Last edited by GrooveRite; 12-05-16 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-05-16, 08:30 AM
GrooveRite

Bikes: 2010 Rockhopper Expert Disc (26er)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh and by the way.....I've noticed that my extremities get really cold and its only been within 45 - 60 degree range BUT as long as they are warm....I can practically be naked and be ok, lol!! I just found the best gloves and last year I found the warmest boots I've ever owned in my life!!

After a going through A FEW gloves ordered online....I found the ones....for me, lol....

• Endura Luminite Thermal Cycling Gloves

I ordered these last year and they are simply THE WARMEST boots I've ever owned....PERIOD!! WARM and WINDPROOF!!

Merrell Men's Iceclaw Mid Waterproof Winter Boot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.