Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Replacement brake pads for CLB professional brakes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-23, 02:19 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts

What brake pads have the proper bolt diameter fit for CLB professional brakes? Just purchased a set of brakes w/o the pads or holders. As I understand it, the bolt diameter is different between shimano and campy, of course...

Thanks!

(not my picture)

Old 09-20-23, 08:40 PM
ZenNMotion

Bikes: 2016 Tom Kellogg steel Spectrum all-road, '89 Eisentraut Rainbow Traut, '81 Marinoni Special, 2018 Ritchey Road Logic, 2006 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2009 custom Joe Wells alu Tsunami CX, '71 Favorit (Czech Rep) Special, 2012 Co-Motion Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have no idea, but I solved a similar issue with a set of Suntour Cyclone calipers that (apparently) required a slightly smaller (like Campagnolo) bolt diameter when I already had several sets of nice polish finished Kool Stop brake shoes with new dual compound pads with larger Shimano spec bolts. A chopstick wrapped with a bit of sandpaper will solve the problem if the CLB brake arm slots need to be made a bit larger to accommodate Shimano-style shoes. Then you'll have lots of options without having to go down rabbit holes looking for arcane pads to fit modern shoes.
Likes For ZenNMotion:
Old 09-20-23, 09:23 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Those look a lot like Modolo holders. When you get the calipers, measure the width of the slot and if you're at 6mm then you can fit virtually anything, even a modern threaded post pad with hemispherical washers for better toe-in.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 09-20-23, 11:30 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
When one is unsure, it is always best to wait until you have the parts in your hands to know for sure.

Did I say that correctly?

Last edited by Bad Lag; 09-21-23 at 10:47 AM.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 09-21-23, 04:33 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilFo
Those look a lot like Modolo holders. When you get the calipers, measure the width of the slot and if you're at 6mm then you can fit virtually anything, even a modern threaded post pad with hemispherical washers for better toe-in.
I'd be wary of using a fixing-bolt smaller than the slot in which it is to go.
You don't want that to move.
I had a similar issue recently (cannot remember which combination of pad and caliper) and made a set of T-shaped flanged inserts, can do that again, pm me if you want to go that route.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 09-21-23, 06:33 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Number One rule regarding brake pad selection: If KoolStop makes something compatible with your calipers, or something you can adapt to use with your calipers, that will be by far your best option.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 09-21-23, 08:12 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Why not just replace the pads instead of the pads and holders?

I suspect Kool Stop pads for Weinmann or Campagnolo holders ought to work:
https://koolstop.com/collections/insert-replacement
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-21-23, 11:13 AM
Piff 

You guys are telling me to be rational and wait to measure the brakes when they arrive rather than obsessively search online for the appropriate substitute part!?!?

Well, yes, that's probably a good idea.

oneclick That's what I was worried about. I thought for a moment that I would simply purchase the brake pads w/ the smallest bolt size diameter, but realized there probably is a good reason for the bolt matching the slot nearly exactly. Thank you for the offer to make some inserts! If the slots end up being strange (i.e. French) I will definitely take you up on that.

JohnDThompson Unfortunately, the brakes have neither the pads nor the holders.
Old 09-21-23, 12:15 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
You might want to send Wayne Bingham at Mel Pinto Imports an email. Mel Pinto was an importer of CLB back in that time period. Wayne has all sorts of small service parts, and you might get lucky. As an aside, some models of Galli brakes from that time period used CLB pads and holders. That is another needle in a haystack, but on the bright side searching for them as well increases your chances by 100%.
Old 09-21-23, 12:29 PM
Piff 

Originally Posted by El Chaba
You might want to send Wayne Bingham at Mel Pinto Imports an email. Mel Pinto was an importer of CLB back in that time period. Wayne has all sorts of small service parts, and you might get lucky. As an aside, some models of Galli brakes from that time period used CLB pads and holders. That is another needle in a haystack, but on the bright side searching for them as well increases your chances by 100%.
That is a wonderful lead, thank you! I am worried that modern brake pad replacements may not fit in the original holders, from my online looking it seems like it's a common issue.

But, there is this ebay listing which claims their pads fit the CLB pro holders! Here's to hoping Mr. Bingham has some extra pieces still.
Old 09-21-23, 05:28 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Without actually loosening the nut securing the pad, I can measure the slot in my CLB Professional calipers as being at least 7.4mm wide, possibly just slightly wider if I were to loosen the nut and slide the pad holder all the way out of the way.

My pads/holders are Gran Comp replacements, plain looking pieces having 6mm studs. The slot being a bit bigger seems not to interfere with adjustment, of with the security of the pad mounting.

These are great brakes if you are a lightweight, though may seem flexy if you are at all on the big side. I'm not using the Dural cable housings as mine came with Dia Compe cabling (on my sold-as-frame/fork-only Nishiki Pro from 1978).
Likes For dddd:
Old 09-21-23, 06:27 PM
Piff 

Thanks, dddd ! Perhaps this problem is more of a mole hill than a mountain.

Good to hear they stop well, it's what I've seen written elsewhere too.

Btw, do these brakes require a different setup compared to regular single pivot brakes? As far as I can tell they don't have the usual wrench flats. Or, a nut at the front...They seem like one is supposed to simply center them like a dual pivot??
Old 09-21-23, 06:55 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
CLB Professional is a contradiction in terms. One of a multitude of oxymorons in cycling marketing
Old 09-22-23, 02:38 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
CLB Professional is a contradiction in terms. One of a multitude of oxymorons in cycling marketing
Combine them with CLB's super lightweight, aluminum cased "Dural" cable set and it gets really interesting...... as in ultra spongy compressible feel. You lose like at least 50 percent of braking power, compared to using their regular steel cased brake cable set.
It's CLB's weight weeniness to a fault!
But then Jeannie Longgo did win a lot of championships using CLB "Professionel" brakes on her Vitus bikes during her long career......
Old 09-22-23, 05:25 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
The bolt (or long nut) is always going to be smaller than the arm slot or it won't fit in the slot and thread (rotate) into the shoe/pad.

Well, there's smaller, and then there's SMALLER.

A 6mm (nominal) bolt in a 7.4mm slot is going to be trouble.
Old 09-22-23, 06:23 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Piff-

In the CLB box there should be a two prong, hooked wrench that will fit into the spring on the back of the caliper. It will allow you to tilt and hold the brake in position while tightening the fixing bolt. If it's gone, a similar one was available from Park tools.

https://www.parktool.com/en-int/prod...ategory=Brakes

Last edited by bertinjim; 09-22-23 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Likes For bertinjim:
Old 09-22-23, 11:26 PM
Piff 

Originally Posted by bertinjim
Piff-

In the CLB box there should be a two prong, hooked wrench that will fit into the spring on the back of the caliper. It will allow you to tilt and hold the brake in position while tightening the fixing bolt. If it's gone, a similar one was available from Park tools.

https://www.parktool.com/en-int/prod...ategory=Brakes
Aha! Thank you.