Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Using downtube shifters after a long hiatus

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-23, 02:11 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts

I converted all my bikes to Campy ergos over the years. I haven't used downtube shifters in 10 years or maybe more. Well, I converted my main winter bike back to downtube shifters (the subject of this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...mendation.html). Anyhow, it finally got cold enough for me to take the bike out for the first time.
To tell the truth, I was a little nervous throwing the first shift in heavy traffic. But after that, it just came natural. I guess it's like riding a bike. It did take me about 15 miles to get my "finesse" back. It also seems like I was shifting less and spinning more with the downtube shifters. That's a good thing in my book. I'm considering converting all my bikes back.

BTW: I only give myself partial credit, because they are indexed downtube shifters.
Just thought I'd share the experience. Thanks for listening.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 11-21-23, 02:58 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
But after that, it just came natural. I guess it's like riding a bike. It did take me about 15 miles to get my "finesse" back. It also seems like I was shifting less and spinning more with the downtube shifters. That's a good thing in my book. I'm considering converting all my bikes back.
I think that's pretty common. When getting ready for my first Eroica I was worried about toe clips and straps and downtube shifters, but having done most of my lifetime mileage in my youth using that "obsolete" technology, it was pretty easy to get back into it.

Unless I'm doing a vintage only bike ride, I use SPD's, sometimes even just platform pedals. Most of my bikes have the shifters up around the handlebars, weather bar ends, brifters, or my new personal favorite, brake lever mounted Genevale style shifters.
Old 11-21-23, 03:03 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
For some of us who are tall and have acquired significant avoirdupois, Down tube shifters, friction or indexed, as a loooong way down for a decreasingly flexible back to handle.
Old 11-21-23, 03:13 PM
cegerer
^ * * ^ * * ^

Bikes: 1977 Tom Kellogg Nr. 27 - 1984 Bob Jackson - 1987 Alpineer - 1999 Bianchi - 2002 LeMond Buenos Aries- 2007 Specialized Tarmac Pro - 2017 Mongoose Argus Comp FatBike - 2024 Gravity 29er 1-Speed Monstercross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 94 Posts
I've still got one bike in the stable with downtube shifters (a 1987 Alpineer with full 7400 Dura Ace gruppo). Indexed of course and it shifts beautifully! But as much as I love vintage race bikes, give me brifters for everyday riding

edit: I guess I actually have a 2nd downtube shifter bike - a 1983/84 Bob Jackson frame that will be built up with period-correct Campagnolo Record in the coming months.
Likes For cegerer:
Old 11-21-23, 03:14 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Plus, round tubed bikes look better without all those cables and big fat levers.
Old 11-21-23, 03:24 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 161 Posts
You’ll be subconsciously trimming the front changer as you shift the rear and double shifting both all with the one hand again in no time…

Alternating between Ergopower and down tube friction shifters reminds me how much more thought had to be given to timing shifts in the good/bad old days and how much more often I shift with Ergopower now because I can.
Old 11-21-23, 03:27 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
About 10 years ago I decided to start ridding the back roads and needed a ChroMo indestructo frame so I set up a FUJI with 27 1-3/4 tires and went for it. It was my regular ride but was way to big for me. It was so tall I had to jump off of it when coming to a halt... Ha. I even had difficulty reaching the down tube shifters! No longer having room for Stem Shifters on the stem I silver soldered boses to the top tube and ran the cables from there. It worked just fine. After two years I got a ChroMo UNIVEGA frame and switched everything over.

I have had a few guys bring over their Indexed Brifters and Indexed Shifters and some times it has been a real chore ta get um working smoothly and accurately. Not so with straight friction shifters.

I know that we should smoothly transition through our gears back and forth. I think Brifters when set up properly do this well. But still, sometimes I just flick both levers on my down tube Left down and Right up and MASH AWAY WITH A SMILE...

Last edited by zandoval; 11-21-23 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-21-23, 03:34 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
My biggest adjustment was moving from Bar end controls to downtube shifters.
that was 50 years ago.
the rear mech just felt vague.
no so with those downtube levers.

I sold them off the next year, accumulated a set or two, I think one Suntour, one set Campagnolo. Perhaps with “index” housing the vagueness will decrease.

considering putting a set on my son’s bike as he likes to keep both hands on the bars.
his first road bike had a version of stem shifters- had a V dual paddle lever which he liked. But will also have to figure out index…
7 speed Shimano “tricolor”
he is of the index generation.
at least never turns down a ride with Dad.
Old 11-21-23, 03:36 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I converted my winter bike to DT shifters because the rain and gunk and cold kept clogging up the brifters. Not much that can go wrong with levers and a short bare cable.

I find it takes me longer to transition back to brifters in the spring (I keep reaching down out of habit).
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 11-21-23, 03:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I converted my winter bike to DT shifters because the rain and gunk and cold kept clogging up the brifters. Not much that can go wrong with levers and a short bare cable.

I find it takes me longer to transition back to brifters in the spring (I keep reaching down out of habit).
After crashes too. I've never damaged DT shifters in a crash. In fact, I am not sure I have ever damaged a DT shifter, period. In my shop days, we took in bikes with damaged brake levers fairly often. Long, long before brifters. I've known virtually forever that the brake lever is not an especially secure place to put a delicate, expensive and critical piece of equipment.

My transitions are between DT and fix gear. I've reached down and searched that bare tube more than a few times.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-21-23, 04:01 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott

I was amazed that I only tried to use the (non-existing) ergos once during my first ride. That was late into the ride when I was slowing for a stop light.
Old 11-21-23, 04:34 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
My previous decent bike was a 1982 Holdsworth Avanti I bought new in 1983, a 'friend' broke the frame 10 years later.
2 years back on Ebay another 1982 Holdsworth Avanti being sold 3 miles away
And now a 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone.

So I've managed to avoid anything other than DT friction shifting, can't say I'm feeling any loss.
I suppose I should try the alternatives at some point - oooh maybe I need another bike.
Old 11-21-23, 04:46 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
I love DT friction. 90% of the time, I am using modern integrated stuff, but there is something very satisfying about reaching down, and with a delicate control moving the lever. The DT levers are all different, and some feel "better" than others. I really enjoy the tactile sensation of the little "bumps" and the symmetrical lever of classic Campagnolo. The C Record stuff doesn't feel as nice for example.

Dura-ace indexed DT shifters are downright cheating, the pinnacle of that location/method.
Old 11-21-23, 07:00 PM
BradH
Catching Smallmouth

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 1985 Trek 460, 2005 Lemond Tourmalet, 1984 Schwinn LeTour 'Luxe, 1988 Trek 400T, 1985 Trek 450, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1993 Diamond Back Apex, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Prologue, 1978 Trek TX700, Sannino

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 79 Posts
I've got STIs, bar ends, and DT shifters. I like the simplicity of DT shifters, from both a riding and installation/setup point of view.

I'm indifferent to indexing of the rear derailleur, but I prefer friction up front.
Old 11-21-23, 07:52 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 2,613 Posts
I switched to DT shifters on my main commuter earlier this year, going from Campy ergos and a 10/8 Shimergo drivetrain to 8-speed friction. It actually started when I converted the brake levers to MAFAC non-aero and then figured I’d stick with something simple. I really like the feel of the drivetrain now though I likely don’t shift as often as I did before.

Old 11-21-23, 08:04 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
This thread needs pictures.
IMG_1390 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Brifters may by the best way to buy into the walled garden of system incompatibility in the name of quick shifts. But, DT Shifters are a sure-fire way to subtract a pound or so off a bike.

I've decided I like the Ene Ciclo 11-speed Downtube shifters from Velo Orange enough that I am considering another Weight-Weenie steel disc project.

Last edited by base2; 11-21-23 at 08:33 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-21-23, 08:25 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
I rode this Falcon today. It's setup with Suntour 3200 friction shifters, a 1990 Record (8-speed) rd, and a new Sunrace 7-speed freewheel. The shifts are longer than with my SR or Victory rear mechs, but they're smooth and super quiet. The fact they require no overshifting like the older Campy stuff helps. Really happy with the Suntour shifter paired with the Triomphe fd too.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-21-23, 09:24 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Better than the best friction IMO is the SunTour Power Ratchet as long as you have 8 cogs or fewer. And an identical shifter with finer teeth for narrower cog spacing would be the cat's meow for newer cassettes. I've seen that Rivendale apparently has such a shifter. I might even have to see about getting one and creating (probably with the help of a machinist) a top mounted version similar to the SunTour Symmetric shifters. I love the shifters on top of the DT. I wanted them back in '77 when I was riding the long rides of a dedicated distance racer. Hated hitting the left shifter with my knee and climbing walls in the 42-13. And one-hand shifts and fine-tunes are so easy.

My ti custom has a "braze-on" for the top mounted Superbe shifter. With Campy 9-speed and Mirage RD, very, very nice! But that Rivendale, set up like-wise would be better for my right hand with its old thumb injury. Pulling back against both the RD spring and the friction hurts, especially in cool weather. My Pro Miyata has the Symmetric. By design, the FD spring assists the rear downshift. My thumb likes! Only drawback to the Symmetric on that bike - the front tire is too close! I jam a finger almost every ride. Well, I did until I made a finger guard and installed it. Works. Rode the week of Cycle Oregon and touched the front tire once, just barely. No jam.
Old 11-21-23, 09:36 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I’ve never used integrated shifters and don’t plan to. Dura Ace 7700 down tube shifters are perfect as-is in both form and function.
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-21-23, 09:49 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I took a break from riding for near 30 years. When I started again I tried bikes with brifters and they were fine. But when I got on a vintage ride with DT shifters it felt like the right way to do it. I understand brifters are objectively better, but the feel of DT shifting can't be matched.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 11-21-23, 11:45 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
...never turns down a ride with Dad.
BRAVO! Ya made my day...
Old 11-22-23, 01:06 AM
Jimbo1983

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I rode this Falcon today. It's setup with Suntour 3200 friction shifters, a 1990 Record (8-speed) rd, and a new Sunrace 7-speed freewheel. The shifts are longer than with my SR or Victory rear mechs, but they're smooth and super quiet. The fact they require no overshifting like the older Campy stuff helps. Really happy with the Suntour shifter paired with the Triomphe fd too.

I would like to know more about this bike. Looks very nice!
Old 11-22-23, 01:31 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbo1983
I would like to know more about this bike.
In August, an acquaintance stripped the Shimano Santé from this late '80s 531C Falcon and sold me the frameset for $25. It's a little small, and I didn't need it, so of course I immediately bought a bunch of Campy stuff off eBay, plus new rims and built some wheels.

Since this is a dt shifting thread ... I found two packaged sets of those shiny '80s Suntour shifters in a bin at the LBS. Unfortunately, neither was complete, but together, they're perfect. Stylistically, they're very similar to Triomphe/Victory shifters, so they fit right in.
Old 11-22-23, 01:37 AM
Jimbo1983

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
Well it looks great and sounds like you had a lot of fun getting it running
Old 11-22-23, 06:31 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
I like to show up at the local “fast” ride with one vintage bike or another from time to time. You can just feel the confusion seeping out of the heads of guys half my age who think they are fast when and old guy on a bike with a total of twelve gears, downtube levers, friction, 32 spoke box section rims, steel frame, rim brakes ( often centerpull) shows up and gives them hell…especially after “ the industry” has convinced them that they can’t complete such a ride without disc brakes, at least 22 gears, integrated electronic shifting, tubeless tires, aero wheels, carbon everything, and more electronic ***** on the handlebars than was used in the first mission to the moon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.