Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's with these short pumps?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 08:17 AM
yuyax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I spoke to soon on one of my previous threads about never getting flats as I got another flat within one week of my previous flat.

At any rate, I forgot my Silca frame pump and after changing the tube, I flagged another cyclist on the path and he let me borrow his mini pump. What a pain! I could hardly get to about 50 lbs and I was almost dead from all of the pumping. My arms were sore and the pump was heating up. I finally gave up and rode to a parking lot next to the bike path where I was able to find somebody else and borrow, guess what? Another mini pump! This was a better one and I was able to get to 60 lbs, I think.

With my old Silca pump with the Campy head, I can get to 90 lbs fairly easily.

Anybody here besides me carrying a full frame pump when going out for a ride? If not, what do you carry? CO2 type cartridges?

Please don't take it wrong. I am very thankful and appreciative of the help that I got yesterday regardless of the size of their pumps :-)
Old 10-08-09, 08:25 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Full size frame pump for the road, co2 cartridges off-road, Schraeder adapter screwed onto one Presta valve stem in case I have to resort to a filling station, rims drilled out to Schraeder size and grommet installed in case I have to borrow or buy a Schraeder tube.
Old 10-08-09, 08:30 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Small pump just to get beads seated on clinchers. Then CO2. There are small pumps that are not so bad. Even a full size pump is a pain to get a tire to pressure.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 10-08-09, 08:33 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
My Pinerello came with a Silca pump. It is white and fits under the top tube. It lives there happily. I got a yellow one for my Guerciotti and it carries along the seat tube. Both bikes were originally outfiitted with sew ups so a pump was not something one could do without.
Old 10-08-09, 08:34 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I agree that the long older pumps did a better job.
I still have an old HP laying around.
The annoying things were:
-extra 1/3 lb weight
-knocking it off the plastic pin and watching it clatter towards the ditch
-that ping-ping-ping of the loose bottom-out spring after every bump I went over.

I have had no complaints with the Barbieri 50g pump I bought a year ago.
But I am freakishly strong.
Old 10-08-09, 08:39 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Full size frame pump for the road, co2 cartridges off-road, Schraeder adapter screwed onto one Presta valve stem in case I have to resort to a filling station, rims drilled out to Schraeder size and grommet installed in case I have to borrow or buy a Schraeder tube.
Now that's going all out.

I just have a small Trek pump that back when I bought it - too many years ago - could get me to 100. It's got about 75 left in it now. Time for a new one.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 10-08-09, 09:14 AM
BLUMEANIE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry co2 on the road (3 cartridges and 2-3 tubes) and add a high pressure/high volume mini-pump when on tour.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Schraeder adapter screwed onto one Presta valve stem in case I have to resort to a filling station, rims drilled out to Schraeder size and grommet installed in case I have to borrow or buy a Schraeder tube.
My touring hoops are drilled and grometted same way and I also carry a Schraeder adapter for use at gas stations.
Old 10-08-09, 09:39 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 61 Posts
Nothing matches the Road Morph for acheiving adequate pressure and convenience. Short enough to fit in a pannier or frame mount. Flag someone with one of these and convince yourself. tom
Old 10-08-09, 10:00 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
Tubolars and CO2, full frame pump and CO2 for clinchers. I think the minipumps came about as a result of ATBs. standard or full length pumps never fit the smaller frames well and the minis could be mounted next to the bottlecage. I never used one and frankly when they first came out I thought they were stupid.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-08-09, 10:22 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 387 Posts
Silcas on all my bikes. And, I buy any NOS Silcas (in my size) I can find. Since I'm still using a couple I've had since the 80s, I probably have enough to last me untill they put me in the ground.
Old 10-08-09, 10:58 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak Road Morph has worked out very well for me...
Old 10-08-09, 11:05 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12792 Post(s)
Liked 7,699 Times in 4,087 Posts
I hated all portable pumps (mini's quite a bit more) 'til I got a Morph.
Old 10-08-09, 11:12 AM
molarface
Junior WHAT?!?!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used a Specialized pump for 10 years. I could get 90 PSI out of it (but it was work). Amazed every time I used it that it would work as it looked really cheaply made. Disintegrated on me this past spring and upon disassembly I was right! (but I got about 75 repairs out of it!)
Bought a Blackburn Air Stik (mini pump). Made the mistake of not trying it out at home. Got a flat on the road and, I'm embarassed to admit it, I threw it 30 feet into some roadside overgrowth. Hope it dies a painful death by sun rot.
Bought a Topeak MT Rocket AL on LBS recommendation.Tried it out first ( I may be slow but I learn....eventually). I think, with a few hours of time on a right arm like a professional weightlifter, you could get 100 lbs out of it. I gave it to #2 son. Crappy mount broke first time out. He keeps it clipped to bottle cage with rubber bands now.
Went back to LBS. Bought CO2 set up. Am happy.
Old 10-08-09, 11:40 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I still carry one of the plastic Silcas with a Campagnolo steel head on any bike I'm out on a ride with. Plus 2 tubes AND a patch kit. Most people I ride with carry NOTHING!

I'm waiting... (except for my wife, I'll fix her flat!)
Old 10-08-09, 11:53 AM
Fibber

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a fan of the Innovation Second Wind, which combines a hand pump with a CO2 cartridge. I use the hand action to seat the bead and check for leaks, then the quick shot of a 16 gram cartridge to fill'er up. Fast and convenient.
Old 10-08-09, 11:58 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I confess I did just buy one of these because I could stuff it in a pocket. I have not had a chance to use it, yet...
Old 10-08-09, 12:18 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Co2 only, all the way. Pumps are so yesterday.

Seriously, though - I used to carry a Zefal full frame pump everywhere, and it worked fine. I switched to Co2 about 2 years ago, and never looked back. Works great, works instantly, and no more manual pumping in the hot sun while my riding partners point and make jokes.

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-08-09, 12:40 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I carry a full-sized frame pump everywhere I go. A good one weighs no more than a CO2 cartridge system and it never runs out of fluid to pump. A minim pump saves very little over a full-sized pump, as it has all the heavy parts but not the relatively light weight, full-length pump body. They are compact but other than that, I have to ask,"Why"?
Old 10-08-09, 12:44 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
Topeak Road Morph has worked out very well for me...
Exactly. It takes longer than a floor pump, but the one with the gauge can pump to 110psi, and it doesn't take up a lot of space to mount.

CO2? I don't think so...
Old 10-08-09, 12:45 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12792 Post(s)
Liked 7,699 Times in 4,087 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Mills
I carry a full-sized frame pump everywhere I go. A good one weighs no more than a CO2 cartridge system and it never runs out of fluid to pump. A minim pump saves very little over a full-sized pump, as it has all the heavy parts but not the relatively light weight, full-length pump body. They are compact but other than that, I have to ask,"Why"?
Why? I like the hose extension and the foot peg to stand on. I imagine there are full size frame pumps like that, but neither my old HPx3 nor my older Silca have those features.

Edit: Oh, and of course, they fit in my backpack better when I go shopping, etc.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 10-08-09 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 12:49 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Full frame pump on any frame it will fit. Bikingbritinmex just kindly sent me a bottle-green plastic pump from his collection that matches my 1935 Claud Butler like a dream. For everything else (and these as well) - a Specialized mini-pump, because it'll fit in my jacket pocket and I don't have to remember to remove it when parking my bike. I also carry a Presta adaptor "just in case", so I can use a filling station if I need to. The Specialized will (just) get to 100psi. At home I use a Blackburn Air Tower or an air compressor. Reading these posts I think I should switch to CO2!
Old 10-08-09, 01:11 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a little schwinn cheap-o mini pump thats worked just fine for when I've had to use it. My tires only go to 90-psi, which I'm sure I can't get it to inflate to, but there is enough air to get me home. I think I may buy some CO2 after reading these posts. I like the idea of using the pump just to seat the bead and then topping it off with CO2, sounds a lot easier. I'm 285+- so I dont really care about how much a pump or a little extra gear weighs.
Old 10-08-09, 01:27 PM
yuyax

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Additionally, the Silca with the Campy metal could also be a 'blunt object' for dogs and/or humans...

I am inclined to stick with it and perhaps look for more Silca's to keep as spares. However, the Topeak and the CO2's do sound interesting. Might have to check those out too.
Old 10-08-09, 01:40 PM
molarface
Junior WHAT?!?!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seating tire beads seem to be a worry around here. Old methods are still the best.....

https://video.google.com/videosearch?...+++tire+&emb=0
Old 10-08-09, 02:08 PM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate those short pumps. Better than nothing, but they're best suited to getting just enough air in to make a short carefull ride to a gas station.
I have a couple of frame pumps, always more convenient to use, and I'm often more than a short ride to a station.
Problem is that few shops carry them in stock, it's either CO2, floor pumps, or the stubbies.

Ken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.