Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Order of easy upgrades that get a smoother ride?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 11:52 AM
WT21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

I have an aluminum 2017 Tiagra Domane with the rear ISO speed coupling and a carbon fork, running 28c Conti 5000 tires. It's a fine ride, though I'd like to make things a bit smoother for some rough pavement patches in my ride. I only ride this bike on the road, so we're not talking gravel-level comfort.

Wondering about ease and cost of upgrades that could help:
  1. Seat post - current seat post is round aluminum. Would an upgrade to CF help a lot? Clearly this is the easiest one
  2. Handlebars - like the seat post, the handlebars are alloy. Would an upgrade to CF help a lot? This would be a bit harder, but I don't mind a project and I've not worked on bikes much before, so this could be fun. This is a non-integrated handlebar with mechanical shifting and rim brakes, so might be the easiest handlebar change? And what about the stem? That's alloy too. Any reason to go CF on the stem?
  3. Tires - I changed out from the stock 32c Hard Case lite tires to 28c Conti 5000 on the suggestion of my LBS. I gained a +1MPH average, which was greater and the handling improved, too! But, this didn't help the ride. What if I went with a good 28 tubeless? Rims are TLR. Or should I just go back to 32, but a better 32 than the OEM? But with an internal width of 17, I wonder that 32 would impact the current handling.
  4. Wheels - running the OEM Bontrager wheels (622-17), which are alloy and weigh about 1690g. Would CF wheels help a lot here? I'm a little hesitant to invest in CF wheels for this rim brake bike, though. So unless I would get amazing gains here, I am wondering if I can avoid this and just do the top 3?
Old 04-21-23, 12:02 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Choice #3. Had you chosen your Conti 5000 tires in 700 x 32 you would have seen the same improvement in handling and a more supple ride than with your OEM tires. Also, check your tire pressure. If your are running the max pressure your tire is designed for, depending on your weight, you may be overinflated
Old 04-21-23, 12:07 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Fatter tires allow lower pressure (squisyness).'
Gloves can counteract "road buzz" if that's a problem.
CF must have gotten extremely inexpensive for the negligible gains of the parts you list.
Why didn't you mention a CF fork, which could actually make some sense.
Old 04-21-23, 12:09 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Fatter tires allow lower pressure (squisyness).'
CF must have gotten extremely inexpensive for the negligible gains of the parts you list.
Why didn't you mention a CF fork, which could actually make some sense.
OP's bike already has a carbon fork
Old 04-21-23, 12:11 PM
WT21

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Choice #3. Had you chosen your Conti 5000 tires in 700 x 32 you would have seen the same improvement in handling and a more supple ride than with your OEM tires. Also, check your tire pressure. If your are running the max pressure your tire is designed for, depending on your weight, you may be overinflated
Thanks. I will optimize the pressure. TBH, I got a new pump with a more accurate pressure gauge (my old one was off by a LOT) so I have to relearn where I want them to be.

What are your thoughts on a seat stem - worth a move to CF? Same on the handlebars?
Old 04-21-23, 12:16 PM
WT21

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I have always ridden with gloves, but it's not the constant buzz that's causing issues. It's an area of "new pavement" a nearby town put down. It's like chipped rocks stuck in glue. I think it's called "chip seal" from what I just looked up, and is described as "An inexpensive alternative to asphalt concrete overlay, this treatment starts by having liquid asphalt sprayed onto pavement. Then, a thin layer of aggregate chips is placed on the asphalt, and a new surface is rolled so the two parts combine. Ultimately, a chip seal treatment can extend the pavement’s life for years."

It impacts ride comfort and even steering to a small degree.

There is a huge cycling population in this area, but when I called the town about it they said "don't worry - it will smooth out in a few seasons."
Old 04-21-23, 12:40 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Tires are number one for pretty much any change you want to make to the performance of your bike. Install the widest tires that will fit in your frame and fork then experiment with lower pressures.

Next would be a suspension seatpost - I believe the 'parallelogram' style is more effective than telescopic ones.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 04-21-23, 12:43 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by WT21
Thanks. I will optimize the pressure. TBH, I got a new pump with a more accurate pressure gauge (my old one was off by a LOT) so I have to relearn where I want them to be.

What are your thoughts on a seat stem - worth a move to CF? Same on the handlebars?
Just curious, what tire pressure have you been using and how much do you weigh? My example: I have 700 x 28 tires on one of my bikes, I inflate them to about 75 psi and I weigh about 155 pounds
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-21-23, 01:22 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
If the rims are TLR then just run 32mm tubeless tires. Tubeless tires are slightly smoother than tubed tires of the same width.
Carbon seatpost and handlebars do help a little bit, but not nearly as much as wider tubeless tires.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 04-21-23, 01:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
tires and pressure are the best value for the buck IMHO (and a good fit and gel Gloves)

I would go back to 32 mm, high end tires and light tubes

I like cont's 5000 and liked the ride on the 28mm (I am used to a firm ride)

suggestions for you
conti 5000 in 32

vittoria corsa control in 30

rene herse stampede pass (32) expensive but every one who has tried seems to love them https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...stampede-pass/

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-21-23, 01:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
A really easy one - thicker or padded or gel handlebar tape. Also - learning to "ride easy" on the rough stuff. More muscle on the downstroke to slightly lift your butt. Easy but secure grip on the bars, bent elbows, forearms acting as shock absorbers. I raced a steep criterium bike BITD on 21c? tires and 110 psi. Sometimes the pavement ended. (We were always told in advance but none of us changed anything.) I found I could do this "float" on the bike and all that banging didn't throw me off, hurt or even matter.

The "ultimate" solution (but that takes you back to square one) - big expensive tubular tires on matching tubular wheels with shallow, very forgiving rims and light butted spokes. "Square one" - this is a whole new (130 year old) game. Nothing about those tires, rims, repair, mounting, road side repairs ... is the same or compatible to anything you've ever used or done. But, the top of the line tubular tires have been called "magic carpets" for a long time. The best clinchers only come close.

I'm not recommending tubulars. They require total commitment. I rode and raced them in the '70s before there were competition grade clinchers (like everybody else). Loved them. Switched for good (so I thought) when I married as being wedded to both a wife and tubulars at the same time, well I think there are laws against that. Marriage fell apart. A few years later I rolled a clincher off the rim on a blow-out and crashed hard. After a decade of wondering "what if" on every should-be-fun descent, I went back for peace of mind. And got reminded, - yes! the magic carpets!

Look at my first paragraph seriously. (My concession to age is I now wrap my handlebars with two layers of tape. In a few years I may be doing innertube wraps and my favorite tape over that.) Being able to "ride light" is a tool you will never regret having. Yes, it is more tiring. (But when racing, it always moved me up the peloton a bunch of places so it was worth the effort; never mind that the ride felt better and safer.) You can read and dream about tubulars. But don't rush into them. I don't want you (or your significant other) cursing me.

Edit: 2nd the Vittoria high end tires. Every Corsa Open Pave, G+ and G2.0 I've ridden have been sweet rides. I've now ridden a couple of their tires in both clincher and tubular. Tubular wins and you need to go 2mm or more larger with clincher for the same cushioning but the quality and super materials are the same. I've got the 30 mm squirtdad talks about in tubular and haven't tried them simply because 28 is plenty.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 04-21-23 at 01:44 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-21-23, 01:52 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I find the conti tires to have a terrible ride.

If you want a smoother or less buzzy ride then I'd suggest something from Rene Herse tire line, or the Specialized Turbo cotton, at 70-80 psi

then, yes, bar tape, gel gloves and all the other stuff.

But the tires are probably the biggest single thing

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 04-21-23, 01:57 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
Tires: you might try the 32mm version of the GP5K, run it tubeless or with lighter tubes.
Handlebars: you might try a carbon bar with some nice cushy bar tape.

Your wheels are fine. And the isospeed seat mast topper - I doubt you'll notice a difference between alloy or carbon there.
Old 04-21-23, 02:08 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Before changing anything, do as mentioned already and lower your tire pressure. Hard to say how low for sure as were missing some info such as your weight but when I want a cushy ride I keep lowering the pressure until it seems like the potholes/bumps etc. may cause a pinch flat. This will take a little trial and error. I use the 25mm 5000's and myself and bike weigh about 230lbs total ready to ride. I can go down to 80psi on the crap roads here without too much worry of pinch flats and your wider tires would allow even less pressure all other things being equal.
Old 04-21-23, 02:11 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
OP's bike already has a carbon fork
That would be a good reason.
Old 04-21-23, 02:37 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
If you’re trying to soften discreet bumps, both stems and seat posts are available with suspension. For instance, https://redshiftsports.com/pages/road. But chipseal falls into the category I would call buzz, which can really be tiring. Larger supple tires help as has been suggested. I’ve been happy with Schwalbe Aerothan tubes which slightly improve ride through both suppleness and allowing lower pressure. CF handlebars can help reduce buzz vibration by dampening the ringing due to resonances in the frame tubes.
Old 04-21-23, 02:46 PM
WT21

Thanks all. These posts were really helpful.
Old 04-21-23, 03:42 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
This seat post:
https://na.tranzx.com/products/antis...uspension-post

I use it on two bikes. Works great, cheap too.
Old 04-21-23, 04:19 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Upgrade:Tires. Handlebar tape.

The seatpost, handlebar, wheel changes will be very subtle, slight improvements.
I've never tried a suspension seatpost, they probably help. But aren't they more for soaking up big bumps than for rough road buzz? I don't know.

I don't think that regular road bike carbon seatposts have enough effect to be detected in a double blind test with the post covered up so it couldn't be identified. And aluminum handlebars are reliable and affordable. Carbon wheels? expensive. Are even the aero benefits of carbon wheels worth it? and carbon wheels aren't great with rim brakes.

Tires and inflation are by far the biggest change.

Drops
I like riding in the drops on very rough roads. Spreading the jarring load across my palms helps a lot. I have the bike fitted so that drops are comfortable, unlike many riders I know. I have the bars set a bit higher than they do, so I can ride either hoods or drops effectively.

Large tires
I had some 38mm Compass tires on my adventure bike (until one developed a bulge after normal riding.) 38 psi front, 44 psi rear. It was very helpful the day we hit fresh chip-seal, with large gravel chunks on the tar base.

I notice that my Ti adventure bike is "quieter" than my carbon road bike, which is "noisy" on rough roads. I think it's more of a perception of smoothness, the carbon bike absorbs road buzz quite well.

Now I have GP5000 in 28mm. I'd try 32mm if it would fit in my road bike, but that's a bit too tight. I don't like gaps between the tire and frame/fork that are less than about 4mm.

Tire pressure calculators!
These give similar answers and I really like the ride at their recommended pressures:
Sram tire pressure calculator
Silca tire pressure calculator. Very detailed. They recommended a few psi higher on very smooth roads, a few psi lower on rough roads.

At 165 lbs and approx 20 lbs of bike+accessories: 28mm road tires: around 70 psi front, 72 rear. I have been running 68-70 front and 78-80 rear. reducing the rear pressure to 72 was good.

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-21-23 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-21-23, 06:02 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
^^^This. Bontrager Hardcase tires are pretty harsh. Choose any high end tire in a 700 x 32 and lower your pressure.

Anything else you do will be hardly noticeable except thicker handlebar tape.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 04-21-23, 06:24 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
While they may have been shock absorbing at one time, I sincerely doubt any modern carbon bar or (especially) seat post ride any different than alloy. Light is stiff, stiff is strong.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-21-23, 08:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
Always wider tires always! Good wide soft supple tires will improve the ride quality of pretty much any bike. Carbon Fiber stuff is not really going to give you enough benefit to make it worth the money but tires most assuredly. Most of my bikes are pretty near maxed out on tire size (without causing issues) and I wouldn't go back to skinnier tires.

If you want more comfort than that: https://cirruscycles.com/products/ki...nsion-seatpost. They make a crabon version of it I am currently running two on different bikes and they are fantastic and will remove all the road chatter quite nicely and it is tuneable for your weight or riding preference.
Old 04-22-23, 02:39 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
OP's bike has an Isospeed decoupler, so all the seatpost-based suggestions are not feasible.

There is definitely consensus that tires are the best (only?) change worth pursuing.

Handlebar tape or under-tape cushion would make a difference as well, but it would also change the grip. I went from standard tape to thicker tape and it made my bars feel really thick. It's soft and cushy and grippy but I can't get over how fat they make my bars. YMMV.

My two smoothest bikes have carbon drop bars. Is it due to the bars or due to something else on the bike? Hard to say, but at this point I'd prefer regular tape over carbon bars than cushy tape over alloy bars.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 04-22-23, 06:05 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Always wider tires always! Good wide soft supple tires will improve the ride quality of pretty much any bike. Carbon Fiber stuff is not really going to give you enough benefit to make it worth the money but tires most assuredly. Most of my bikes are pretty near maxed out on tire size (without causing issues) and I wouldn't go back to skinnier tires.

If you want more comfort than that: https://cirruscycles.com/products/ki...nsion-seatpost. They make a crabon version of it I am currently running two on different bikes and they are fantastic and will remove all the road chatter quite nicely and it is tuneable for your weight or riding preference.
The only problem I have with a suspension seatpost like this is that your saddle height effectively changes with every flex.
Old 04-22-23, 06:10 AM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Tires! I'm a big fan of the Soma Supple Vitesse EX, and they're currently on sale too:

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/som...attr=3482,4273
Likes For nick_a:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.