Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Close Call

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 04:19 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Close Call

We have all had close calls. (Ok, not as close as Zack but bear with me.) Mine was a 16 year old kid who just got his license. Next thing I knew, I was in the local Trauma Center. OUCH! How about you? Does anyone have any "War Story" that might help keep us safe in the future?
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 06-12-23, 05:14 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
We have all had close calls. (Ok, not as close as Zack but bear with me.) Mine was a 16 year old kid who just got his license. Next thing I knew, I was in the local Trauma Center. OUCH! How about you? Does anyone have any "War Story" that might help keep us safe in the future?
I always considered a close call when I COULD HAVE wound up in the hospital and DIDN'T. Glad you made it.
Old 06-12-23, 12:23 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
not much of a story, where are the deets?

when I was a kid, while crossing a street, in a crosswalk, riding my bike, I was hit by a car, that didn't see me, because his view was obstructed by a car in his adjacent lane, which was stopped at a red light. he was going too fast & wasn't planning on stopping correctly, at the line. I saw the car coming, I wasn't able to get to the sidewalk on the other side, quickly enough, so I bailed off the bike. the car bent my frame but I was OK. I could have been dead. the guy was apologetic & gave me $60 cash. I walked the bike to the bike shop & they bent the frame back. I rode the bike home & never told anyone in my family
Old 06-12-23, 12:36 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Someone needs to thank my relative they didn't have a close call when he crossed the road on a bike abruptly and no signal. I asked if it was a homeless bicyclist and they said no, he had on those tights and a helmet.
Old 06-30-23, 09:52 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
every time you crank you betten your bones
Old 06-30-23, 08:11 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Ugh. Zach mentioned again?
Old 07-01-23, 05:08 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Did I say his name? May God forgive me. (Breathing in too much Chain lube...again!)

Last edited by Colorado Kid; 07-01-23 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-01-23, 12:02 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Did I say his name? May God forgive me. (Breathing in too much Chain lube...again!)
It’s all good.

I’ve skimmed a few of his videos and saw one where he had a group ride. I do appreciate his positive outlook and apparently enough others do as he had a good turn out on a group ride.

It was also refreshing seeing a group ride that wasn’t a line of spandex hamsters. It seems a good deal more difficult to find group rides that aren’t roadies in a pace line.

I have a bit of a man crush on a financial podcaster.
Old 07-01-23, 06:59 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
The secret to keeping safe on a bicycle or in any facet of life is to be intelligent, and not the type of intelligence defined by the Western military/industrial complex, but as defined by life itself.
Likes For beng1:
Old 07-02-23, 08:05 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Near miss = close call.
Wind up on ground = accident.
Trauma Center = bad accident.

Hope you heal up ok.
Likes For stevel610:
Old 07-02-23, 10:32 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Today's fixed gear close call was a solo event: unexpected air from severely buckled concrete. Kept it upright but it wasn't pretty. If there's a lesson, I suppose it's to pay attention. Either that or practice jumping ramps.
Likes For downtube42: