Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

50/34 or 52/36 Crankset for racing (mostly flat)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

50/34 or 52/36 Crankset for racing (mostly flat)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 07:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
I think we have all forgotten that apparently this guy has not ever raced yet.

.. and maybe forgot that the bike he plans to buy only comes with a 50-34 .... and maybe forgot that until he does race, on the specific course he actually races (as opposed to the ones he imagines racing) he will learn what he can and cannot do m, and will either make or not make the actually pertinent adjustments.

For all we know the guy would be best served by a 48-32. We have no real clue, and neither does the OP.

As far as I know, Cat 5 is "Pay your entry fee, pin on this number, show up at the start line." People who want to race merely have to .... race. Then everything will enter a new universe, one not just of imagination, but of sweat, pain, and the humiliation of being off the back ... and the OP can then decide not only what gears he needs, but what training ... or even if he really wants to race at all.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-05-23, 10:27 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Well, it’s a matter of simple physics, that’s all there is to that. Look it up; leverage is really a very basic concept.. I mean, you could go and spin the crankset of your bike with your finger both in the spider as close to the spindle as you can get, and then again out at the end of the crankarm; you should easily be able to feel the difference in force required to turn it at each location. It’s the same thing that happens at the pedals, just that the forces are larger, acting over a force range (i.e. torque) of something like 10nm to 190nm.

The ratio of chainring teet to cog teeth does not at all describe the amount of force required to turn the geartrain.
There are those of us here who have engineering degrees (mine is specifically in mechanical engineering). It appears to me that you may have got confused between chainring size and crank arm length. As far as chainring size goes, there is no difference pedalling a 50T vs 52T chainring in an equivalent overall gear ratio when compensating for the difference on the cassette ratio. So for example with a 52T chainring you might ride 1 gear lower on the cassette to get the same feel as a 50T chainring. In this case the difference is not even quite 1 tooth on the cassette. Crank arm length is a separate discussion and not at all relevant to this thread. So I'm not going there.

Anyone who wants to compare 50/34 vs 52/36 chainring gearing can simply look at an online gear calculator and see how their gear range compares with the same cassette. It's not a big difference. If there are very steep climbs then a 34/34 ratio is slightly better than a 36/34. Same at the other end for long fast downhills. Everything in between is just splitting hairs.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-05-23, 11:16 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

The advent of actual mechanical engineers on this site has definitely improved the level of discourse.
Old 08-05-23, 12:44 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
There are those of us here who have engineering degrees (mine is specifically in mechanical engineering). It appears to me that you may have got confused between chainring size and crank arm length. As far as chainring size goes, there is no difference pedalling a 50T vs 52T chainring in an equivalent overall gear ratio when compensating for the difference on the cassette ratio. .
No, the only thing I find confusing is why you cannot understand that I specifically and clearly said that the only change was the chainring. Changing chainring size changes the feel at the pedal. I’ve made that clear several times but you and others keep ignoring it, I suppose because none of you engineering geniuses have ever done pedaling torque analysis.
Old 08-05-23, 02:30 PM
Maelochs

No, the only thing I find confusing is why you cannot understand that I specifically and clearly said that the only change was the chainring. Changing chainring size changes the feel at the pedal. I’ve made that clear several times but you and others keep ignoring it, I suppose because none of you engineering geniuses have ever done pedaling torque analysis.
Originally Posted by PeteHski
There are those of us here who have engineering degrees (mine is specifically in mechanical engineering). It appears to me that you may have got confused between chainring size and crank arm length. As far as chainring size goes, there is no difference pedalling a 50T vs 52T chainring in an equivalent overall gear ratio when compensating for the difference on the cassette ratio.
Let's fight together over different things!!!!!!
Old 08-05-23, 02:55 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Changing chainring size changes the feel at the pedal. I’ve made that clear several times but you and others keep ignoring it, I suppose because none of you engineering geniuses have ever done pedaling torque analysis.
There is no one here who doesn't understand what you keep trying to make clear. Maybe that's what is confusing some people.

It's like saying, "When you go up a hill it gets harder to pedal." Right, got it. Maybe the question was how much lower gear ratio does one need to go up a hill, or how steep of a hill can a rider handle before having to change gears. To keep saying, "I insist! Riding up hills requires more power than riding on flat ground or down hill" is a pointless assertion, because it's blatantly obvious.
Old 08-05-23, 03:00 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
So are you just stating the obvious that a larger chainring in the same rear gear will be harder to pedal? If so then there was no need to bother.

Do you understand gear ratios? I have my doubts.

Last edited by PeteHski; 08-05-23 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-05-23, 03:47 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
When nobody understands what you're trying to say, the problem is probably on your end.
Old 08-05-23, 04:17 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Let mw see if I understand. Same rider, same road, same speed, same gear ratio, same crank arm length; only thing different is chainring size?

Well, same rider on the same road at the same speed means same power. Then same gear ratio at same speed means same cadence.If same power at same cadence, then must have same torque which for same crank arm length requires same force on the pedal. So if cadence is the same and force on the pedal is the same, how can it feel different for different chainrings?
Old 08-05-23, 04:33 PM
Maelochs

Among artists it used to be said, "Just because no one understands what you are doing, doesn't mean you are an artist."

I guess with engineers ......
Old 08-05-23, 08:23 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
The ladies doth protest too much, methinks.