Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Troubleshooting) Bike chain has no slack with derailluer down

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-23, 04:43 PM
Merkona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I've been struggling to find a solution to this problem and since I'm new to biking I'm pretty clueless.

The chain on my bike came loose from the pedal gear, so I did the usual thing of putting the derailleur down to give some slack and put the chain back on the pedal. However, I forgot to put the derailleur back up before getting back on my bike, and the chain shifted in some way that's caused it to be unable to peddle forward (although the pedal can still spin backwards, which creates some slack in the chain momentarily).

I'm assuming the chain just got wrapped somewhere it's not supposed to be, but I have no clue what that may be.

I can send pictures later if necessary, but right now this is the best description I can give.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-31-23, 05:31 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Pictures would help, but you can't post them in the discussion areas until you've posted at least ten times. You can, howver, upload them to an "album" in your bikeforums.net member profile, post here that you've done so, and one of us can link them to this discussion.
Old 08-31-23, 06:19 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Not knowing what kinda derailleur you have I suggest you take a close look at its idler wheel(s) 'cause it sounds like when you got the chain back on the front cog the chain may have got wedged between the derailleur frame and one (or more) idler wheels in back. That frame thing hanging down, with the idler wheel(s) it carries, allow the chain to accommodate different diameter gears as you shift up and down. If the chain gets jammed in their you can maybe back-pedal a little but you ain't gonna be able to pedal forward at all 'cause the chain's jammed up tightish.

Pics will help! Particularly of your rear hub / derailleur drive side!

Last edited by spclark; 08-31-23 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-31-23, 07:22 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
So keep posting, even if it's just "..." 'till you get past the magic 10-count then you can add pics that'll show us more about what you see.
The moderators keep an eye on posts from new members and delete any they consider "junk" posts---such as your example.

To the OP: best to continue posting more details about your bike, your riding habits, etc. And, as JohnDThompson suggested, upload pictures to your gallery, so that someone can add them to this thread.
Old 08-31-23, 07:41 PM
spclark 

OK so just adding posts to boost your 'score' isn't the correct path to answers. My bad, sorry!

But you can add images to your 'gallery' that other members can access and add to the thread at will?

Curious... why then the '10-post' threshhold? Seems pretty arbitrary and capricious to give others the privilege of access to images that aren't yet up-loadable by the OP?

At least this Forum doesn't look like another I used to frequent. There's a 'Bilge' there where pretty much anything & everything is permitted short of outright commercial advertising.
Likes For spclark:
Old 08-31-23, 08:05 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by Merkona
Hi, I'm new to this forum but I've been struggling to find a solution to this problem and since I'm new to biking I'm pretty clueless.

The chain on my bike came loose from the pedal gear, so I did the usual thing of putting the derailleur down to give some slack and put the chain back on the pedal. However, I forgot to put the derailleur back up before getting back on my bike, and the chain shifted in some way that's caused it to be unable to peddle forward (although the pedal can still spin backwards, which creates some slack in the chain momentarily).

I'm assuming the chain just got wrapped somewhere it's not supposed to be, but I have no clue what that may be.

I can send pictures later if necessary, but right now this is the best description I can give.

Thanks in advance for any help!
By pedal gear I'm guessing you mean chain ring
(front crank/sprocket referred to as a chain ring and rear gear cluster usually called a cassette)
((not a big deal or social faux pas, but standard terminology helps trouble shooting.

The chain should wrap around and behind the lower idler (mini sprocket) an in front of the upper idler (mostly hidden)
Worst case, put the rear derailleur in a middle gear, try to move the pedals in the forward direction and see if that helps.
Also check if the chain slipped off the smallest cassette gear between the cassette and frame.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 09-01-23, 07:23 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
OK so just adding posts to boost your 'score' isn't the correct path to answers. My bad, sorry!

But you can add images to your 'gallery' that other members can access and add to the thread at will?

Curious... why then the '10-post' threshhold? Seems pretty arbitrary and capricious to give others the privilege of access to images that aren't yet up-loadable by the OP?

At least this Forum doesn't look like another I used to frequent. There's a 'Bilge' there where pretty much anything & everything is permitted short of outright commercial advertising.
Why? To keep spam attacks more or less manageable. Some mornings, the General Cycling subforum is filled with 30 or more spam posts --- with multiple spammers posting five threads each. Then moderators have to manually delete each spam post.

It's annoying, but it was far worse before the 5-posts-per-day/10-total restriction was put in place.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-01-23, 07:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts

Junk posts aren't a good idea. But there are plenty of conversation the OP might participate in and it wouldn't be junk.

As for why they don't allow newb's to post images, it is for SPAM control. It's bad enough for the volunteer mod's to have to catch all the call girl in dubai and other stuff that hits here regularly and more often than you see. If images were allowed, then it'd be even more a pain for the mod's. And again they are volunteers with no pay. And most every holiday, they have to fight a lot of it.

I use to be on some forums that before making these posting limits and image prohibitions were brought to their knees and useless for any use by actual members because of ten's of thousands of SPAM posts in just a short time.
Old 09-01-23, 02:23 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Example of a spam post. (I apologize)
Old 09-02-23, 06:24 AM
spclark 

Originally Posted by Iride01
Junk posts aren't a good idea. But there are plenty of conversation the OP might participate in and it wouldn't be junk.
Agree, and what I did when I joined up a few weeks back after stumbling onto BF looking for advice.

(Sorry to have incited such a kerfuffle over what's Good Forum Etiquette and what's not! Apologies to all.)

Here's hoping the OP gets their frustration resolved soon by means of suggestions posted here, and that they return with a thank-you for the assist, maybe even a pic or two if they're over the 10-post hurdle by now!