Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

12 speed inline electronic gear indicator with backlight

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

12 speed inline electronic gear indicator with backlight

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-23, 06:54 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Not a one of my flat bar shifters (most are SRAM but one is a Box 9 on the tandem) has a gear indicator.
Well, now I know. But I do know that there are passive inline gear indicators that you can splice into the cable run and position for easy seeing. You'd still need a helmet light to see them in the dark but helmet lights are common as salt and available at all price points. Electronic shifting and Smartphone apps or Garmin/Wahoo computers might be overkill? Just trying to keep the project in the bounds of practicality.
Old 08-27-23, 07:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Kind of a condescending comment. I’m nearing 100,000 miles in 30 something years on a bike, and can state I know how to ride a bike by this time. I can still lose track of the gear I’m in. As myself and others have found, the Di2 gear indicator is very useful. Not life changing, but I do use it and like it,
Maybe it was a tad harsher than needed. The Di2 stuff is great but feeling generally works pretty decently.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-03-23, 12:06 AM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Well, now I know. But I do know that there are passive inline gear indicators that you can splice into the cable run and position for easy seeing. You'd still need a helmet light to see them in the dark but helmet lights are common as salt and available at all price points. Electronic shifting and Smartphone apps or Garmin/Wahoo computers might be overkill? Just trying to keep the project in the bounds of practicality.
Helmet lights or just headlights are heavy and can make the crash worse. Not only they feel disorienting but also any kind of white light close to handlebars and is not dim enough reduces distance vision and night vision. Red-orange is considered to be the best.
Old 09-03-23, 12:17 AM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I don't know of a flat-bar shifter that didn't have some kind of indicator for gear position. The ones on my Rapidfires aren't very precise but they don't really need to be. I look at them from time to time. On a tandem, hills can really mess up a commute. There is enough stuff with lights and peds and etc that on occasion I arrive at the bottom of the HILL not knowing what gear I am in. Too low and the Stoker complains. Too high and we will bonk halfway up. There is no getting started again if we stop. Anyway, to the ask of the post. A helmet mounted headlight would illuminate the passive gear indicators that all shifters must have. Seems to be the only practical solution.
Bought SLX shifter nearly by accident since I didn't had the time to hunt down all of them. As I have curved handlebars with 50° backsweep then the optical gear indicator probably wouldn't fit since the shifter is right in the middle of curve which might result in insufficient clearance around the edges of optical gear display.
Still not sure about attaching LED light with a reed switch to indicate 1:1 ratio. Probably will always shift down to 51t cog and only then will turn on the motor if necessary.

Last edited by sysrq; 09-03-23 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-03-23, 08:05 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Okay, first, are you really spinning your legs at 170 RPM? That is an incredibly fast cadence... like, nearly twice what I can comfortably maintain. If your claim is that you do this for an entire 50 mile commute, I have to throw a BS flag.
1. 50 mile commute.
2. 170 RPM cadence.
3. At night.

Wow.