Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2nd hand road bike, should I remove bar tape to inspect bars?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

2nd hand road bike, should I remove bar tape to inspect bars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-23, 02:40 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Crwban
I Don't want to go off topic but I'm interested to know what's wrong with the extra levers, surely it's safer to ride with them?
Other than adding a bit of weight and a little bit of resistance to the cables and housing, nothing is wrong with them. If you will use them, may as well keep them. If you don't use them, then consider ditching them once the brake cables and housing are due for replacement.

Given the amount of corrosion on the bike, it would also be worth inspecting the bearings in the headset and front hub. A bit of tri-flow, dri-slide, or other similar lubricant applied to the brake pivots will help prevent your brakes from seizing up.
Old 09-25-23, 06:10 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
They are also found on kids road bikes and entry level road bikes because they provide a transition safety point when people are moving from flat bars to drop bars and still not totally comfortable. Further, they have been on smaller road bikes because small hands dont grip STI brake levers as easily as large hands, and because the reach to brake levers is often a lot for many kids to continually manage. So interrupter levers allow people to ride comfortable on flat road with a hand on the brake still.

Yes, some remove them. No, they arent inherently redundant wastes of space.
I didn't say they don't have their use. But for most people in most cases their utility is often of limited value. I was simply explaing the "why" of why somebody would want them removed. There are obviously exceptions; uses for which they were installed in the first place.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-26-23, 02:12 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I lean towards "it's unnecessary" but come to think about it, I've never not re-wrapped the bar on any bike I've ever purchased, new or used. I guess the act of re-wrapping the bar with new tape feels like it consummates my ownership of the bike.