Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2011 Novara Transfer / What is it worth?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-23, 09:13 PM
baduk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a 2011 Novara Transfer that has only been ridden a few times. It is in excellent condition and am wondering what it might be worth?
I am in the Phoenix, AZ area.
Old 11-22-23, 01:36 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
If it is a size that fits your body, it's probably worth riding. I bought a Novara Safari in 2014, and it was great riding bike until I got rear ended (hitch bike rack) on the way home from a bike ride. (The bike and my car got totaled.)

If you're asking what you should pay for it, or what you should sell it for, it probably doesn't have a great cash value. What condition is it in? Was it stored inside out of the weather and the sun? If not, I would call it scrap metal. If it looks new, do the mechanics work? Tires may be deteriorated from age. If everything works as new, it might be worth $100.
Old 11-22-23, 09:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
If no other person wants to buy it, then it's worth nothing. If you are selling it, then clean it up and make it look pretty. If you only get a hit or two on your advertising of it, then take what ever they offer as you may not get any more. If you have a lot of persons interested in it, then you might can haggle for a better price. But if you turn down too many offers, you might be stuck with the bike taking up space.

Appraisal value means nothing if you are unable to get your advertising noticed by the people willing to pay that much for your bike.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-22-23, 09:56 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Go to your local Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and look at similar bikes being advertised. That's what your bike is worth.

Selling in the spring usually gets the highest price. Nobody is buying bikes in late November.
Likes For Yan:
Old 11-22-23, 10:05 AM
baduk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for the replies. The bike is in near new condition as it has always been stored inside and out of the sun. It has only been ridden a few times and everything works. The tires are original but still look new.
I took a look and saw that I originally paid $710. If it really is worth only $100 then I may as well keep it. If it is worth more then I would consider selling.
Old 11-22-23, 10:13 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Its 2011 MSRP was $650. REI also offered many discounts off from that price.

Realistically, if it is in good condition and truly ready to ride, today it is a $175-200 bike.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-22-23, 10:33 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,750 Times in 1,841 Posts
Novaras tend to be pretty nice bikes and well equipped . . . but, as REI's house brand don't have the name recognition of Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, etc.
Unfortunately, original retail price does not often get reflected in resale value and the bike market is very soft right now.

On the plus side, most people want bikes that are ready to ride and condition matters. Internal hub and lights included make for a nice package. If the condition is great, like you say, then I would take some good clean pictures of the bike and list for $250 and take $175-$200 if it is offered. If that does not work, you will have to bring the price down or try again in the spring

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Its 2011 MSRP was $650. REI also offered many discounts off from that price.
- This is an important detail, steep discounts are often offered on these bikes as the new model comes in

Last edited by SoCaled; 11-22-23 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-22-23, 11:35 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 249 Posts
I hope it's not that ugly brown color. You are 12 years older, so there's that. What else are you riding?
That's as good as a commuter/ all around bike gets. Girl frames can be a goofy too upright fit, LOWER the bars.
That bike has everything, there was NO reason for that bike to be so unloved. If it was slow, then the rear left bearing was too tight, mine was too.
Maybe the pedals are tight as well, same as mine again, easy fix.
That bike doesn't have boat anchor roller brakes, mine did. Still I rode it a few centuries, until I put my much loved drum brake Sturmey Archer 5 speed wheels on it. My similar Simcoe roadster frame bike is 41 lbs now, NOT a problem at all.

So check your rear wheel to make sure there is a hair of wiggle play, makes a BIG difference in coasting. Turn the bike over and spin the wheel. It should go at least a minute. The headset is another thing that gets poorly lubed and adjusted. Take the seat off and clean and thinly grease the post, same with the stem.
Line up the gear adjustment and ride.

But yah, these IGH bikes are a tough sell. Nov. in AZ is actually PRIME time to sell. $220 or keep it.
Full 80d sweep bars are a HUGE comfort improvement over the straight ones.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-22-23 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-22-23, 11:59 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
That looks like a nice bike. I have one pretty similar, but I assembled it myself, piecemeal. Unfortunately for sellers, this style of bike does not command a high price (nothing close to their new retail price). If you have space for it, I'd recommend keeping it, even if you don't ride it. Maybe someday you will again. Or, perhaps you will find someone who really needs a decent bike, and you can give it away or sell it at a low price, as a sort of charitable act. Unless you get lucky and happen onto just the right buyer, I doubt it will bring more than $150-$200. I say this because, nice as it is, it's just not a style of bike that is in demand.
Old 11-22-23, 02:54 PM
baduk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I liked the bike a lot when I did ride. Unfortunately my dad had a stroke and requires a lot of care, my work takes a lot of time, and there aren't many places to ride near where I live. I will be moving soon so have considered getting rid of it. All said, I will probably keep the bike if the value is so low.
Likes For baduk: