Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

New online bike geometry calculator

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 12:18 AM
torger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts

Sometimes I need to record and compare bike fits or frame geometries. Previously I've used a bike CAD software for that, but it's a bit overkill, so I've made an online bike geometry calculator which you run directly in the web browser. Perhaps others may find useful too so I thought I'd share it.

There's a foldout help panel with complete documentation as well as a step-by-step workflow to measure and make a geometry chart of a real bike you have, but you can also enter manufacturer's geometry diagrams. One use case is to enter the bike you have and like, and then from a geometry chart enter a bike you consider buying to see which frame size you need.

A screenshot below, and the address is https://www.bikegeocalc.com

Last edited by torger; 04-11-18 at 08:40 AM.
Likes For torger:
Old 04-16-18, 01:33 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ooh! That's very cool! Well done!
Old 04-16-18, 02:52 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Very nice, can't wait to try it.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-18-18, 02:19 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Super cool! Thanks for taking the time to create and share that.

Bookmarked for future use.
Old 04-18-18, 07:54 PM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Very cool! There is a lot going on, but I will admit I have never looked quite that far into geometry.

I will be tucking this back into my archive of cool things that do in fact exist.
Old 04-19-18, 12:39 AM
torger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
It's pretty niche, and I guess the main thing to figure out is what to use it for :-).

At least one of my bikes don't have geometry charts available from the manufacturer, so there I've used the measurement feature to record the geometry. Some manufacturers provide quite poor charts too, and in those cases one can often use the calculator to fill out more. Knowing the trail for example is nice to get a sense of how the steering behaves.

Then with my current bikes entered I can fantasize about which bikes to get and then enter the geometry chart and compare how the size compares to what I already own. I've also entered some of my remote friends bikes to see how they match up and how we can exchange components to match fit to see if it's feasible to try out each-others bikes next time we meet.

I've also helped out friends to evaluate which bike to buy, comparing different manufacturers sizes and geometries.
Old 04-19-18, 04:07 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
This is a great tool. Thanks a lot.
Old 04-20-18, 10:55 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by torger
It's pretty niche, and I guess the main thing to figure out is what to use it for :-).

At least one of my bikes don't have geometry charts available from the manufacturer, so there I've used the
I could see it being used to configure the fit of a new bike to match that of an existing bike. There are other ways to do it of course, but this could be used.
Old 04-20-18, 07:23 PM
nazcalines

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well done, thanks! I just started using bikecad yesterday. After an hour with your web geo calc, I much prefer it over bikecad. It's faster and easier to use for what I want to do.
Old 12-08-23, 07:21 AM
dschad

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, SWB home-built recumbent and a couple other uninteresting ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by torger
Sometimes I need to record and compare bike fits or frame geometries. Previously I've used a bike CAD software for that, but it's a bit overkill, so I've made an online bike geometry calculator which you run directly in the web browser. Perhaps others may find useful too so I thought I'd share it.

There's a foldout help panel with complete documentation as well as a step-by-step workflow to measure and make a geometry chart of a real bike you have, but you can also enter manufacturer's geometry diagrams. One use case is to enter the bike you have and like, and then from a geometry chart enter a bike you consider buying to see which frame size you need.

A screenshot below, and the address is https://www.bikegeocalc.com

This is an old thread which I just found, but I have to say that the geometry calculator you put together is really fantastic! It is easy/quick to use and great for comparing designs. So much quicker than fiddling around in full CAD programs when you are experimenting. Exactly what I need at this moment.

Thank you very much for putting this together and providing it to the world.
Old 12-29-23, 05:18 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Yes ! It is a great website to play around with the geo numbers !