Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Traveler

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Traveler

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 04:26 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by ciclista_pazza
Thanks! I'm going to see if they have a build a bike class at my local coop. They had that class at at bike coop in Arizona but I never got around to attending it. I agree it's worth it. I want to stop shelling out so much money to the LBS for basic fixes and it would be a huge boost to my confidence!
You can also put out a call here for help, many members will help others when needed and get you working in the right direction.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-19-24, 04:56 PM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
You can also put out a call here for help, many members will help others when needed and get you working in the right direction.
Thanks! I've definitely done that before. Everyone here is amazing!
Old 02-19-24, 05:22 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Thanks! I'm going to see if they have a build a bike class at my local coop. They had that class at at bike coop in Arizona but I never got around to attending it. I agree it's worth it. I want to stop shelling out so much money to the LBS for basic fixes and it would be a huge boost to my confidence!
Actually the other bike might be cool to buy and gradually work on now. Of course this is the thought process of the addicted!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-19-24, 05:37 PM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Actually the other bike might be cool to buy and gradually work on now. Of course this is the thought process of the addicted!
Haha - you're not alone in thinking that! I heard back from the ebay seller today on my question so I'm now debating still getting the Traveler as well. It's a vicious cycle.
Likes For ciclista_pazza:
Old 02-19-24, 05:47 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Haha - you're not alone in thinking that! I heard back from the ebay seller today on my question so I'm now debating still getting the Traveler as well. It's a vicious cycle.
You'd have so little in it that if you don't like it, donation wouldn't hurt too bad. I often buy bikes and get them running just to see if I would like them. If I don't I give them to someone who needs a ride. It feels good and you sometimes make a friend.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-19-24, 05:54 PM
ciclista_pazza

You'd have so little in it that if you don't like it, donation wouldn't hurt too bad. I often buy bikes and get them running just to see if I would like them. If I don't I give them to someone who needs a ride. It feels good and you sometimes make a friend.
I agree. It would be so cheap to buy and use as a bike I could practice working on, and donation is a great idea if I could bear to part with it! It might also be a good bike to give to my sister since she has a garage and her daughter will be riding larger bikes soon.
Old 02-19-24, 06:13 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

I agree. It would be so cheap to buy and use as a bike I could practice working on, and donation is a great idea if I could bear to part with it! It might also be a good bike to give to my sister since she has a garage and her daughter will be riding larger bikes soon.
We are here to enable!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-19-24, 06:19 PM
ciclista_pazza

We are here to enable!
Thanks!
Old 02-19-24, 11:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Get to it, perfect storm, get the efbay one too, ride the LeTour and sort out the blue one as you can without the specter of getting jammed up trying to get it going to ride.

I cannot recommend this course of action more highly, have employed it many times with great success and it can also help alternative options present themselves, often with better results from more time and consideration.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-20-24, 12:42 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Get to it, perfect storm, get the efbay one too, ride the LeTour and sort out the blue one as you can without the specter of getting jammed up trying to get it going to ride.

I cannot recommend this course of action more highly, have employed it many times with great success and it can also help alternative options present themselves, often with better results from more time and consideration.
Preach it brother!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-20-24, 12:49 AM
merziac

Preach it brother!
Amen!
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-20-24, 07:16 AM
ciclista_pazza

Great point and I can see the wisdom in that. I can take my time with it and not stress out. And it's priced so cheap, I don't see the downside. Now I'm just waiting for the ebay seller to get back to me again. The ball is in their court, but I think that bike is a good buy too and will probably take the plunge once they get back to me.
Old 02-20-24, 08:14 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

ciclista_pazza next time you move there are going to be several bikes to deal with!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-20-24, 08:30 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt

There will be lots of bikes at the Ann Arbor bike swap. You probably won't find a rideable bike for $40, but there is a pretty good chance you would find one that is ready to go for $40 plus what you would spend buying tires, pedals, etc. for this one.
FYI - they've moved the Ann Arbor Classic Bicycle Show and Swap Meet, to the Monroe County Fairgrounds (in Monroe) now. I've gone to them every year in Ann Arbor, but I'm not driving to Monroe. I wonder why the change.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 02-20-24, 09:10 AM
ciclista_pazza

ciclista_pazza next time you move there are going to be several bikes to deal with!
Definitely! I was able to bring my Fuji Absolute hybrid with me as it just barely fit in the SUV I drove across the country, but no way would the Le Tour fit. Thinking back, I should have just had the bike shop ship it to me in the first place. Thankfully, I don't anticipate any future cross country moves. But in general, I'm used to having too many bikes so that's ok with me.
Old 02-20-24, 09:11 AM
ciclista_pazza

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
FYI - they've moved the Ann Arbor Classic Bicycle Show and Swap Meet, to the Monroe County Fairgrounds (in Monroe) now. I've gone to them every year in Ann Arbor, but I'm not driving to Monroe. I wonder why the change.
I heard that too. I agree it's a shame it moved. I don't have a vehicle so am not sure if I'll make the trek to the bike show since it would mean renting a vehicle or talking my sister into taking me.
Old 02-20-24, 09:56 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
Of course this is the thought process of the addicted!
So you've heard, right?.....

To the OP - I think this was a wise move. It's a bike you're familiar with, it's ride-ready, and your outlay is really not bad. Those sorta-mixte Le Tours were quite nice; if it's a Japan-made bike, I believe it was made by Bridgestone. I sold one last year for $240, so the shop's asking price is quite reasonable. And your story explains why you were drawn to the subject Traveler; I would join the chorus of suggestions that you pull the trigger on that bike as well, whether it be as a wrench trainer, back-up bike, pub crawler, warm-fuzzy-feeling donation bike, whatever its fate.

Last edited by madpogue; 02-20-24 at 10:01 AM.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 02-20-24, 09:59 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

I heard that too. I agree it's a shame it moved. I don't have a vehicle so am not sure if I'll make the trek to the bike show since it would mean renting a vehicle or talking my sister into taking me.
My gf and I go once in a great while to those gatherings and there are plenty of deals to be had but mostly I just find it interesting to see the huge variety in vintage bike crap. Good, bad or indifferent it inspires me to know the industry isn't going away.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-20-24, 10:02 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by madpogue

To the OP - I think this was a wise move. It's a bike you're familiar with, it's ride-ready, and your outlay is really not bad. Those sorta-mixte Le Tours were quite nice; if it's a Japan-made bike, I believe it was made by Bridgestone. I sold one last year for $240, so the shop's asking price is quite reasonable. And your story explains why you were drawn to the subject Traveler; I would join the chorus of suggestions that you pull the trigger on that bike as well, whether it be as a wrench trainer, back-up bike, pub crawler, warm-fuzzy-feeling donation bike, whatever its fate.
It's a rumor. I enjoy rubbing elbows with bicycle junkies but l can quite anytime I want ...
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-20-24, 10:18 AM
ciclista_pazza

Thanks! I think my Le Tour was made in Japan. I did some research on it awhile back and from what I gathered, it seemed like it's a pretty desirable bike (and in amazing condition for its age). I also agree that the price isn't too much for that bike. I was so shocked the Le Tour hadn't been sold yet (since I sold it to the bike shop in November), but I guess not everyone sees a classic bike the same way we do, which always surprises me. I also agree about the Traveler. I think it would be a great practice bike and the result would be well worth it!
Old 02-20-24, 12:27 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 1,009 Times in 517 Posts
My gf and I go once in a great while to those gatherings and there are plenty of deals to be had but mostly I just find it interesting to see the huge variety in vintage bike crap. Good, bad or indifferent it inspires me to know the industry isn't going away.
My wife and I try go to the Bowling Green and Monroe swaps because they are fairly close. We are retired, so it's a nice way to spend a spring day outside, even though she isn't as interested in the bikes as I am. We have found some petite items for her that aren't always available in the local shops.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 02-20-24, 01:27 PM
madpogue 

And you're a shade over 3 hours from Madison, BTW. Just be mindful of the shady characters at some of the tables....
Likes For madpogue:
Old 02-20-24, 01:50 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

And you're a shade over 3 hours from Madison, BTW. Just be mindful of the shady characters at some of the tables....
Havnt hit that one for a couple years but it's always fun.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-21-24, 08:43 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 1,009 Times in 517 Posts
ciclista_pazza I hadn't looked at the original ad for the Traveler until now. It looks like it has a lot of potential and it's down to $30. If it is your size, it is worth checking out. Even if it's not the right size, it would be worth buying to have the components to swap to another frame. The tubing decal says "Built in America" which means the Greenville, Mississippi plant. When Schwinn opened that plant, they were finally starting to build bikes that could compete with the Japanese and European imports. Unfortunately, it was too little and too late to save the company.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 02-21-24, 12:39 PM
madpogue 

$30? Run, don't walk......
Likes For madpogue:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.