Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Building my '87 Trek 400 as a fixie, help!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 10:38 AM
patbateman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently bought a 1987 Trek 400 on craigslist, and have decided to make this one my fixie.

Last night I picked up a flip flop hub, and I'm going to build the wheel myself. I was hoping some of you might have some ideas as to where I can find a good rim for this purpose (32 spokes), and that you might have some specific suggestions?

Also, any suggestions as to what gearing I should use. I live in a fairly flat town, and this will be my first fixie.

And any suggestions on tires to ride? I will most likely start out with some fairly inexpensive ones from biketiresdirect.com

For now I'm going to leave the frame the original red and black fade pattern, and I'm thinking I may try to paint my spokes red before I build the back wheel, and I will definitely throw some red handlebar tape on.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions as I start to build this bike.
Old 11-06-08, 05:24 PM
sneaky viking
bum style

Bikes: Poprad, Fuji conversion, Quattro Assi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time I built up a 32 hole rim, I got one of these:
https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...+ROAD+BIKE+RIM

Velocity Aerohead. Silver. $40. light.

Or you could unlace the current rear wheel, so they match. (if it's 32 hole.)
Old 11-06-08, 05:40 PM
yahnming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if you're new to wheelbuilding or not. I know nothing about it, but my experience with myself and friends is to go to seek out the best wheelbuilder in your area. Building wheels is sort of an art form and a dude who does it every single day is going to be way better than me.

This is my philosophy, anyway.