Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

And you guys were worried about the hipsters,

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

And you guys were worried about the hipsters,

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 10:09 AM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 25...
Old 02-03-09, 10:13 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I got the joke, it's all good
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 02-03-09, 10:17 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
not a bad thread at all. No one is suggesting grinding off braze ons or derailleur hangers, in fact
they're cautioning against doing that. One poster is rebuilding from fixed to original geared spec.
It's a credit to the FGSS group that they don't advocate 'Drewing' a bike.

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 02-03-09, 10:34 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks, I just posted my vintage trek turned fixed gear there. In my defense, I have an almost identical trek touring bike from just a year later, and I figured this would get rid of some of my bicycle overlap.
Old 02-03-09, 12:04 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by riva
What happens when you try to run one of those chainwheels on a fixie?
Sheldon Brown said he ran a Biopace ring on one of his fixed gears, but I suspect finding the right chain tension to make it work reliably would require patience.

N.B. the larger Biopace rings are closer to round than the small ones. I had a 28T one that looked almost square!
Old 02-03-09, 12:07 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
The advice re the crankset is pretty funny.
The crank's fine, and you can get round rings to fit it (bog-standard 130mm BCD).
Old 02-03-09, 12:10 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've got a Schwin Heavy Duty cruiser on which the front sprocket is somehow off-center. I haven't torn it down to see if it's just a sprocket made off-center or what, but you get significant variations in chain tension as you rotate the crank. Rides all right, though.
Old 02-03-09, 12:48 PM
Skylar
Full Clout Y'all

Bikes: Right now, 8-10 various steeds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
Get a sense of humor. I'm 53.
Sorry.
Old 02-03-09, 01:39 PM
patbateman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea I have a biopace chainring on my fixed gear, had a little issue with tension at first, but got it resolved with a little trial and error (and the chain coming off mashing down a hill in San Francisco)

But it's a 52, so that might have something to do with my tension success (since the larger ones are more round), I'm going to get a new crankset eventually but for now it works fine
Old 02-03-09, 02:01 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Most of those posters are people I associate with this forum!
Yeah, we're trying to stop them from being stupid.

I know, I know; nothing like an impossible task . . . . . . . .

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-03-09, 02:09 PM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The crank's fine, and you can get round rings to fit it (bog-standard 130mm BCD).
Yup, I'm running the same crank on my Pista. Works fine and chainline is perfect.

Old 02-03-09, 02:09 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Probably as good a point as any to bring up this mention:

I think the hipster crowd has finally 'matured'. On a load of recent iBoB postings, two of the members (from LA, of course) mention seeing three 'hipsters' with their fixies going between the local clubs on a weekend evening. The catch? They had unloaded them from their cars, and were . . . . . . (wait for it) . . . . . . walking them.

This is what I meant by 'matured' - the "trailered Harley Davidson syndrome" has finally hit fixiedom. Absolute poseurs who don't ride.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-03-09, 07:30 PM
patbateman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just for the record, and I'm not saying this to try and start a fight with you at all,

but the fixed gear group I'm in is full of guys that have biked for a good portion of their lives in one capacity or another, and we go on group rides a couple times a week.

Because the real reason we ride "fixies", is because we enjoy riding bikes.

Shocker right? The fact that there are three dip****s in LA smoking cloves, being pretentious and walking their out of the box mercier tt's from club to club doesn't mean that everyone who rides a fixed gear is a "hipster", or that they don't know a damn thing about bikes.
Old 02-04-09, 10:17 AM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by patbateman
Just for the record, and I'm not saying this to try and start a fight with you at all,

but the fixed gear group I'm in is full of guys that have biked for a good portion of their lives in one capacity or another, and we go on group rides a couple times a week.

Because the real reason we ride "fixies", is because we enjoy riding bikes.

Shocker right? The fact that there are three dip****s in LA smoking cloves, being pretentious and walking their out of the box mercier tt's from club to club doesn't mean that everyone who rides a fixed gear is a "hipster", or that they don't know a damn thing about bikes.
Never attempted to claim that it was. What I'm laughing about is that the fixie riding scene has what I've always called 'matured' (as in 'aged', not 'grown-up') - it's become such a regular, accepted sub-group of cycling that the poseurs have finally started to show up. They'll be around for awhile, then go away, chasing the next hip trend.

Besides being a cyclist, I'm also a biker (Harley, etc.). For the past twenty years the serious bikers have been putting up with our own poseurs: The crowd that takes their nice shiny Twin Cam, trailers it the 70 miles to the local bike rally, then spends the weekend putting from bar to bar within the city limits. Only if it's not raining, hasn't rained in the last four hours (gotta let the roads time to dry out), and has absolutely no chance of raining for the next five or six hours. And spends the rest of the time in the motel parking lot polishing their rides.

And, unfortunately, that's the public perception of 'biker' anymore, thanks to the media coverage of the rallys. Those guys with their shiny Twin Cams and clean fresh leathers look a lot better on television than the guys who actually rode the 400 miles to the event, and let their bikes parked, uncovered, in the rain.

In Richmond, I run across both types of fixie riders: The serious ones who wrench their own bikes, actually run them as their sole, daily transportation - and the come-lately idiots who haven't figured out that a minimum of one caliper brake is necessary if you're going to swap the wheel to the single speed side.

No disrespect intended to the serious rider - or the community in general.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-04-09, 12:15 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I want to know what is the opposite of a "consumer-level" bike. See post #4. The only thing I can think of is some of the older TdF bikes which were actually custom built and rebadged. I guess it violates hipster ethics to turn one of those into a fixie.
Old 02-04-09, 05:00 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
It's a moot point really. The fad has surely jumped the shark by now. We'll find out in the Spring, I suppose.

For those of you who don't read BSNYC, see below....

https://www.teenvogue.com/style/marke...-looks?slide=3

No offense to serious FG riders....
Old 02-04-09, 05:18 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
You know it's bad once you see Paris Hilton toting a fixed gear about instead of a lap dog in her Gucci bag.
When I see that image, I'll have to go outside and barf.
Old 02-04-09, 05:30 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Damn, that outfit runs more than I spend on clothes in several years time..
Old 02-04-09, 05:36 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Surprised it doesn't have a price-tag hanging off it/her.
Old 02-04-09, 05:39 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Except he wasn't talking about the crank. He was talking about the crankset, and I take that to include the chain rings.
Old 02-04-09, 05:41 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Probably as good a point as any to bring up this mention:

I think the hipster crowd has finally 'matured'. On a load of recent iBoB postings, two of the members (from LA, of course) mention seeing three 'hipsters' with their fixies going between the local clubs on a weekend evening. The catch? They had unloaded them from their cars, and were . . . . . . (wait for it) . . . . . . walking them.

This is what I meant by 'matured' - the "trailered Harley Davidson syndrome" has finally hit fixiedom. Absolute poseurs who don't ride.
The L.A. club scene has always been full of poseurs, though. Still, pretty funny.

You know, though-- everybody who's rocking a messenger style but isn't a messenger is a poseur. The fixie scene has been for the most part a poseur scene since its inception.

These poseurs in L.A. are just taking the posing to a new level...

Last edited by Blue Order; 02-04-09 at 06:00 PM.