Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

24"=kids bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-23, 08:37 PM
whm1974

Bikes: 26" Diamondback DBW 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
24"=kids bikes?

Are 24" inchers more or less kids bikes? I have seen them listed online at Target, Walmart, and Amazon as such. Did see I nice girl's mountain bike with step though, bike only has quick release on front wheel and now the back. What is the story with that?

On another note a friend purchased a 26" mongoose from Amazon for ~$200, and I swear he could have gotten near the same at the local Walmart for cheaper then that.
Old 04-01-23, 08:56 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
24"is typically a kid's bike though some of the walmart versions can be big enough to be a short women's bike.
Funny enough, QR of some form with bolt-on rear wheels is very common at the cheapest end and the more expensive end. At the low end its a way of saving a buck while looking fancier, basically its cheaper to make bolt-on wheels vs QR. At the highest end are thru-axles and plenty of forks come with a QR style thru-axle on the suspension fork while the rear will require an allen wrench.
Maybe cheaper at walmart, maybe not. The differences between bikes might not always be obvious at a glance. 200.00 might mean aluminum rims instead of steel, stainless spokes instead of plated, using SIS housing instead of generic brake housing on the shifting, or just using the cheapest shimano sis shifter and der instead of something like falcon. The difference between real shimano, even the cheapest version they make and some of the real generic parts can be hard to find, but while they might seem to work the same at first the differences show up after a year of use. The shimano will still work as well as it ever did, the rest will start failing. Could be any/ all of these or none of these
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-01-23, 09:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Yes, 24" are primarily kids bikes. A new "bike" for $200, whether Walmart or Amazon or Target, is more a BSO than a functional bike. $200 can get you an actual bike, used, if you take the time to learn.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-02-23, 07:46 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yes, 24" are primarily kids bikes. A new "bike" for $200, whether Walmart or Amazon or Target, is more a BSO than a functional bike. $200 can get you an actual bike, used, if you take the time to learn.
BSO?
Broward Sheriff Office?
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 04-02-23, 01:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
BSO?
Broward Sheriff Office?
BSO=Bicycle Shaped Object it is used to describe items of low quality that look similar to bikes typically sold at WallyMart KMart Amazon...they are designed to be throwaway items built from the cheapest materials and parts by the lowest skilled labor or maybe people who know what they are doing and just don't care.

In terms of wheel size, it is a wheel size. It doesn't correlate to frame size. Though typically a 24" wheel is usually found on kids bikes and that is where typically the frame size is nil and it is just by wheel size. However there have been bicycles for adults made with smaller wheel sizes either for shorter people or those afflicted with dwarfism or other skeletal-muscular issues or in some cases just for compactness or other reasons (Tern GSD/HSD uses a 20" wheel to make a smaller cargo bike for the city for easier storage but ability to haul 2 kids and also keep the load lower to the ground)

I would go down to your local bike shop and have them size you up for a bike. If you are differently proportioned I might reach out to your local bike fitter and set up an appointment and use that data to go to someone like Lennard Zinn/Zinn Cycles or another frame builder and have them build you up something to fit you well. Your fitter might even know some local folks or have ideas.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-02-23, 01:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
We are talking about wheel size? Sure typically that might be considered a kid size by many. But hey, a few days ago I was crossing the reservoir dam in my car. Bike lane on either side of a four lane divided road. We passed by a guy in a t-shirt riding a more normal road bike that many would envy. But his pace nor cadence seemed that good for his mid forties to fifties he appeared to be. Then not a quarter mile further down we passed an old guy all dressed up in full kit making really good speed with a good cadence. Glancing at him a second time I was amazed to see he was on a bike with small wheels. A folding bike at that. I had to make many more glances to confirm that I was seeing what I indeed was seeing.

So no, I'll no longer think that wheel size determines whether something is a kids bike or not.
Old 04-03-23, 06:51 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
24" is the "Big Bike" cruiser class in BMX racing. I run one sometimes, but honestly, the wheels are too big and you have to adjust your technique - the back wheel gets in the way. 20" is much better.
Old 04-03-23, 08:52 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
BSO?
Broward Sheriff Office?

As for 24” bikes, my 8-year-old ride one, and they are popular here in Japan with the Geritol set.

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-04-23 at 02:51 PM. Reason: No political content in 50+
Old 04-05-23, 06:58 PM
whm1974

Originally Posted by Viich
24" is the "Big Bike" cruiser class in BMX racing. I run one sometimes, but honestly, the wheels are too big and you have to adjust your technique - the back wheel gets in the way. 20" is much better.
I'm not doing BMX racing. Just getting around and going places.
Old 04-05-23, 07:43 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Check out Bike Friday, and maybe a few other makers of folding bikes, since you mentioned in the other thread about getting your bike in and out of a car.

I would say, 24" are mostly kids bikes. What that means is that you can get an adult sized bike with 24" or smaller wheels, but they are likely to be specialty bikes, and therefore also relatively expensive. Any time you have "particular" requirements, you narrow your options, and pay more.
Old 04-06-23, 01:59 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Some, if not all, Airnimal folding bikes use 24" wheels, such as the Airnimal Chameleon. You'll probably also find a few recumbents such as the Challenge Furai with 24" wheels. One slight disadvantage is that there isn't the same range of tyres available for 24" as there is for 700c.
Old 04-06-23, 11:12 AM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
My 8-year-old is riding a 24"-wheel "kids bike" and it's a Scott Scale RC24 - light aluminum frame, 11-speed drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes. Kids bike doesn't mean it's necessary cheap or poor quality. On the opposite end of bike size and weight - but with the same size wheel - I almost bought an electric cargo bike with 24" wheels, an Xtracycle Stoker (bought the Swoop instead, which has a 26" front and 20" wheel). It's really about the wheel being sized appropriately for the intended use of the bike.
Likes For nathand:
Old 04-06-23, 05:57 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Adults - 29er/700c
Up-and-comers - 27.5
Adolescents - 26er
Tweens - 24 inch
Grade-schoolers - 20 inch
Kindergarten - 16 inch
Learning to ride before you can walk - 14 inch
Babies - 10 inch
Infants - five caster wheels
Old 04-06-23, 06:31 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by whm1974
Are 24" inchers more or less kids bikes? I have seen them listed online at Target, Walmart, and Amazon as such. Did see I nice girl's mountain bike with step though, bike only has quick release on front wheel and now the back. What is the story with that?

On another note a friend purchased a 26" mongoose from Amazon for ~$200, and I swear he could have gotten near the same at the local Walmart for cheaper then that.
...from your other thread, I gathered this information:

Originally Posted by whm1974
Yes, tomorrow I going to a bike shop w/ friend to pick out a new 24" bike. My current 26" is otherwise fine aside that it is harder to get it out building and to put in and out of mini-vans. I should have gotten the 24" in the first place.

Just need quick release wheels and to be able to put on a frame mounted cargo rack. Step through would be nice.
So my understanding is that your old bike is a Diamondback something, that still works, but you want something newer. And you use it mainly for transportation, presumably in a small town or urban environment.

Wheels size, in and of itself, is just something around which a bicycle frame is designed. But it is true, as has been repeated here, that mostly you see 24" wheels on bicycles for younger riders, who are physically smaller than adults, mostly. If you are a smaller person, a 24" wheeled bike might fit you fine, but it will be a chore to find one that is of better quality, overall, especially if you are looking at Walmart or on Amazon.

I gave you that link to the current Diamondback website. Diamondback used to be something you saw more at dedicated bike shops, for sale. I don't know how they market their bikes now.

People could probably give you better information if you stated your specific needs (urban transportation and grocery shopping ?). Also some idea of whether you are a very small, or larger person might indicate that a 24" wheel size could work for you. I still worry about the whole rack attachment requirement. You might be better off going with a different brand of bicycle, and looking at something marketed specifically as an urban all purpose bicycle. Some of those come with the rack already installed.

I'm not sure that going from 26" wheels to 24" wheels will make it appreciably easier to get your bike in and out of your building.

Many lower priced bicycles use a nutted rear wheel, rather than a quick release wheel, because it's cheaper to source them. Quality varies.

REI has some good deals on this sort of bicycle, and sometimes they go on sale. But I don't think you'll find one with 24" wheels there.

Co-op Cycles is REI's house brand of bikes that offer some of the best value on the market. For $600 you get a lightweight aluminum frame and fork, Shimano 24-speed drivetrain, a nice Selle Royal saddle, and fast rolling 700x40c tires. The CTY 1.1 is offered in two colors and four sizes for the standard frame style, and three sizes in a step-through variant. If you want a fantastic deal and a well-featured bike, this is your ticket.
Old 04-06-23, 06:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Adults - 29er/700c
Up-and-comers - 27.5
Adolescents - 26er
Tweens - 24 inch
Kindergarten - 16 inch
Babies - 10 inch
Adults only ride 29er/700c and nothing else ???....First time I ever heard that, learn something new on internet all the time
Old 04-06-23, 06:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
Adults - 29er/700c
Up-and-comers - 27.5
Adolescents - 26er
Tweens - 24 inch
Kindergarten - 16 inch
Babies - 10 inch
I have one of these:

https://bikefriday.com

Or were you trying to be funny?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-06-23, 06:53 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Originally Posted by wolfchild
learn something new on internet all the time
And since you seem to have been making little progress, I feel obligated to help you out, so here's something straight from the books:

Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 04-06-23, 06:57 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have one of these:

https://bikefriday.com

Or were you trying to be funny?
Hilarity ensues.

Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 04-06-23, 08:07 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Adults - 29er/700c
Up-and-comers - 27.5
Adolescents - 26er
Tweens - 24 inch
Kindergarten - 16 inch
Babies - 10 inch
Ha! I may ride mostly on a road frame with 700C but I sometimes ride a 26er, so this in no way undermines the fact that I do everything wrong.

Otto
Old 04-06-23, 08:41 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
One more thought, since the OP has mentioned getting the bike in and out of cars, and their house. Weight might be more important than wheel size. And it's hard to find kids bikes that are lightweight because they don't skimp on the steel.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 04-06-23, 09:23 PM
whm1974

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...from your other thread, I gathered this information:

So my understanding is that your old bike is a Diamondback something, that still works, but you want something newer. And you use it mainly for transportation, presumably in a small town or urban environment.

Wheels size, in and of itself, is just something around which a bicycle frame is designed. But it is true, as has been repeated here, that mostly you see 24" wheels on bicycles for younger riders, who are physically smaller than adults, mostly. If you are a smaller person, a 24" wheeled bike might fit you fine, but it will be a chore to find one that is of better quality, overall, especially if you are looking at Walmart or on Amazon.

I gave you that link to the current Diamondback website. Diamondback used to be something you saw more at dedicated bike shops, for sale. I don't know how they market their bikes now.

People could probably give you better information if you stated your specific needs (urban transportation and grocery shopping ?). Also some idea of whether you are a very small, or larger person might indicate that a 24" wheel size could work for you. I still worry about the whole rack attachment requirement. You might be better off going with a different brand of bicycle, and looking at something marketed specifically as an urban all purpose bicycle. Some of those come with the rack already installed.

I'm not sure that going from 26" wheels to 24" wheels will make it appreciably easier to get your bike in and out of your building.

Many lower priced bicycles use a nutted rear wheel, rather than a quick release wheel, because it's cheaper to source them. Quality varies.

REI has some good deals on this sort of bicycle, and sometimes they go on sale. But I don't think you'll find one with 24" wheels there.
Getting around and outside of town. And yes, going to stores.
Likes For whm1974:
Old 04-06-23, 10:15 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Adults - 29er/700c
Up-and-comers - 27.5
Adolescents - 26er
Tweens - 24 inch
Kindergarten - 16 inch
Babies - 10 inch
Gotta skew the sizes some but for selling the average customer a mtb it works till you hit the tweenish area. Even in bike shops, 12, 16, 20, 24, and now even 26 inch bikes don't really come in frame sizes. Gotta hit that 27.5" before the frame discussion breaks out. Outside the basic kid's bike/mtb, the conversation gets fun. Even BMX you have micro, mini, jr which are all 20" but not the same 20" as expert, and pro and with none of them do you discuss wheel size or seat tube as the determiner for proper sizing, it all comes down to top tube length to really screw with sizing.
For real fun, my "tween" at age 11 had several 24" bikes, the mtb had a 507iso, the road bike had a 540iso (why raleigh used this I don't know), a 520iso track bike and a 547iso school commuter, yay for sizing.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-07-23, 05:26 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

bf/whoosh
Old 04-07-23, 06:35 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
And since you seem to have been making little progress, I feel obligated to help you out, so here's something straight from the books:
Why did you spell humour wrong?
Likes For Viich:
Old 04-07-23, 08:53 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
One more thought, since the OP has mentioned getting the bike in and out of cars, and their house. Weight might be more important than wheel size. And it's hard to find kids bikes that are lightweight because they don't skimp on the steel.

agree - can be a challenge to find a quality / lightweight small bike

we had some nice 24” bikes - including these:

Specialized Hotrock 11.5 - I believe that bike was also available in a 12.5 or 13.5

has the lighter / butted A1 frame ... installed BMX race tires on it and the kids could scoot

Gary Fisher Tyro - nice thing about that bike was it has rigid fork ... was reluctant to part with that one

Last edited by t2p; 04-07-23 at 09:00 AM.
Likes For t2p:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.