Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Cycling tax"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-23, 09:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Yes you are being screwed, every turn you make you are being screwed. Life is all about you getting screwed. Buying an expensive sports car and paying more for parts for that expensive car they are making fewer of is you getting screwed. Same thing with everything else in your life.

Things cost money they always do and always have cost money. It is the facts of life. Inflation is a part of that and probably won't go anywhere.

The truth is nobody is screwing you and if they are get yourself tested for STDs. If you are worried about spending money on things like CO2 get a good quality pump and so long as you can move your arms you can inflate your tires time after time after time. If you don't want to spend all the money then don't but if you enjoy the sport spend the money you need to spend to get what you want out of it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-06-23, 10:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I use this little inflator and I get the carts for about $1 each.

I'm retired but I worked at GM dealers, mostly Chevy, for the last 30 years of my career. We charged the same to tune-up a Corvette as we did the trucks with the similar engine. I never up charged a customer for anything on a Vette that was similar to other cars. I know people do, I recommend avoiding those people.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-06-23, 10:33 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Sometimes, if I know what caused the leak then yes, it'll bring a 23c tire right up to 90psi which will get you home but will lose some pressure if you still have a couple hours left to ride. If I don't know what caused the leak and can't find the culprit, being able to give the old tube some pressure to hopefully find the cause and still have enough to ride is better. My main bike I ride on the road has 27c tires, with the 19mm wide rim and my weight, a 16g gets it just to the pressure I like. Which leaves me not enough air to test. Annoyingly, my last road ride I got a flat, spent forever trying to find the cause, and assumed it was a small thorn I found. Judging from the tire currently being flat again, I'm guessing it wasn't.

Look nice, I can see why people would send them. I've got stacks of mailing labels and haven't licked an envelope in at least 4 years, but I can see why people would pay good money for an artisan card that looks like that.
I can see where that might worry you. As for me, I always carry a spare tube that's either a tested repair or a new tube. Any time I get a flat, I just replace the tube first so I don't need to test until I get home. That is, so long as I don't get TWO flats on the same ride (has happened once before). But I've never felt a 12g couldn't get a 23c tire well up to pressure. Haven't really tried it with much bigger tires but I would have thought it would also be plenty for a 25c, maybe enough for a 28c in a pinch. But I don't know how much are actually in those little cartridges anyway.
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Not exactly this one but very similar to it:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP5tUqu

Supposedly works with 12g and 16g, threaded and unthreaded. In my experience, I've had to add a shim with the 12g cartridges (I usually just use a small piece of gravel I find on the road while I'm changing the flat).
I've bought a couple of those myself. I stack washers in them to get the right depth for the 12g cartridges. It works, but it's a band-aid solution.
Originally Posted by big john
I use this little inflator and I get the carts for about $1 each.

I'm retired but I worked at GM dealers, mostly Chevy, for the last 30 years of my career. We charged the same to tune-up a Corvette as we did the trucks with the similar engine. I never up charged a customer for anything on a Vette that was similar to other cars. I know people do, I recommend avoiding those people.
It was particularly prevalent back with the old c2/c3 gen cars. Some things were specific, but a lot of other things were generic GM parts bin components.
Old 04-06-23, 11:01 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
[QUOTE=VegasJen;22852397]...12g CO2 cartridges just like every Daisy BB gun... /QUOTE]

That probably has a lot to do with it...
Old 04-06-23, 11:09 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
When I raced cars it was called the racer’s discount: List + 30%.
Likes For raceboy:
Old 04-06-23, 11:17 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
...Here are some that she was testing some new watercolor and alcohol ink pens she wanted to try out...
Very nice clean work. I especially like the color choices and saturation, she must also be using expensive paper.

My son dug out my old field bag of watercolor stuff I used overseas in the Army 50 years ago. Of course every thing is dried up to a rock. I decided to give it another try and have been totally flabbergasted by the cost of quality watercolor tubes and paper. Luckily I am one of those guys who only needs a five color palette.

As to the OP: Time to get a quality hand pump and move away from CO2. Something like a LEZYNE or one of its generic equivalents.
Old 04-06-23, 11:39 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I come from the world of Corvettes and for generations now we have what we refer to as the "Corvette tax". That is additional expense added to ordinary items, or completely dedicated items, specifically for the purpose of extracting more money from owners than your average transportation appliance.

Do we as cyclists suffer the same tax? I think we do. Case in point. A few years ago when I began to get serious about biking, I went to Walmart and found a CO2 inflator that takes the standard 12g CO2 cartridges just like every Daisy BB gun made in the last 50 years. If I had known then what I know now, I would have bought 50 of them. The inflator cost something like $10 and you can get a 5 pack of 12g Daisy cartridges for $2.50. Now that my bike collection has expanded, I have tried to find the same inflator to no avail. I can find various 16g and 20g cartridges, some with threaded fittings, some without. And I can find inflators that accept 16g or 20g cartridges. And of course, the inflators are $20-30 on average and you pay almost as much for a single threaded 16g cartridge as you would for a 5-pack of 12g Daisy cartridges. But that cheap inflator that accepts cheap 12g cartridges has gone the way of the dinosaur.

So must we accept being screwed just because our hobby is seen as a cash cow by specialty producers? Have you seen this in your experience in the hobby?
You can't find another cheap inflator like you bought at Walmart a few years ago, and this somehow indicates cyclists are now paying a "Corvette tax"? There seems to be some missing in this scenario ... like logic.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-06-23, 11:59 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You can't find another cheap inflator like you bought at Walmart a few years ago, and this somehow indicates cyclists are now paying a "Corvette tax"? There seems to be some missing in this scenario ... like logic.
Or... maybe certain products are no longer produced. One might say that's a response to the market. That might be a valid argument. Except with that product is replaced by a similar, but proprietary product with a order of magnitude mark up.

The product I referenced originally, I found at Walmart. I have since noticed, as with other items at Walmart, they stopped carrying certain lesser name brand items and replaced those items with their own "house" brand. In this case, Blackburn. Gone are individual bike components from various manufacturers, all replaced with similar items under the Blackburn brand. No doubt made from the Walmart owned China factory.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for a capitalist market. I'm free market at heart. But let's be real about certain things. Products made in China are made under conditions that would be considered slave labor in this country today, and major corporations can crush small industries by discontinuing their products and marketing their own foreign made house brand. I would not be surprised if that's not exactly what happened here.
Old 04-07-23, 12:06 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
PPS: Get a mini-pump.
That right there is where the smart money is.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-07-23, 12:08 AM
tomato coupe

Or... maybe certain products are no longer produced. One might say that's a response to the market. That might be a valid argument. Except with that product is replaced by a similar, but proprietary product with a order of magnitude mark up.

The product I referenced originally, I found at Walmart. I have since noticed, as with other items at Walmart, they stopped carrying certain lesser name brand items and replaced those items with their own "house" brand. In this case, Blackburn. Gone are individual bike components from various manufacturers, all replaced with similar items under the Blackburn brand. No doubt made from the Walmart owned China factory.
Blackburn is not Walmart's house brand. Where do you get this nonsense?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for a capitalist market. I'm free market at heart. But let's be real about certain things. Products made in China are made under conditions that would be considered slave labor in this country today, and major corporations can crush small industries by discontinuing their products and marketing their own foreign made house brand. I would not be surprised if that's not exactly what happened here.
What does this have to do with anything?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-07-23, 12:15 AM
VegasJen

Blackburn is not Walmart's house brand. Where do you get this nonsense?

What does this have to do with anything?
Really? I've never seen it anywhere else.
Old 04-07-23, 12:16 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
That right there is where the smart money is.

I did get a smaller frame-mounted pump after my last flat tire episode. I only got one to start, just to see how well it performed. I will end up having to buy a couple more for other bikes.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-07-23, 12:20 AM
tomato coupe

It's sold everywhere. Get a clue.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-07-23, 12:26 AM
VegasJen

It's sold everywhere. Get a clue.
I've never seen Blackburn anywhere else. But I did some research and I guess they're owned by Bell. Fair enough. You were right. All hail Tomato Coupe. It does not change the fact that multiple smaller suppliers were shut out of an entire market by a single conglomerate (which I still would not be surprised to learn Walmart has some stake in one way or another).
Old 04-07-23, 12:28 AM
tomato coupe

I've never seen Blackburn anywhere else. But I did some research and I guess they're owned by Bell. Fair enough. You were right. All hail Tomato Coupe. It does not change the fact that multiple smaller suppliers were shut out of an entire market by a single conglomerate (which I still would not be surprised to learn Walmart has some stake in one way or another).
wtf are you talking about?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-07-23, 01:11 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldbill
I have never tried this electric cube pump, but if it works as advertised it may be a solution.
About the same weight as inflater/cartridges and it looks more compact.
https://www.cycplus.com/products/tiny-pump-cube
competitor to the mini fumpa ?

https://www.cyclingtips.com/2019/06/...-pumps-review/

Last edited by t2p; 04-07-23 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-07-23, 01:27 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts
used to carry an inflator and threaded 16g cartridges

the small inflator - Qwikfill (or something like that ?) - was one of my favs and is no longer available

lately will carry small micro pump - including

Topeak Microrocket AL
162 mm L ( 6 3/8“ L )
65 g

Lezyne Pocket Drive
Presta and Schrader (hose)
149 mm L ( 5 7/8“ L )
75g

Birzman Mini Apogee
Presta and Schrader
137 mm L ( 5 3/8“ L )
78g

Old 04-07-23, 02:18 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
That's a convenience tax, not a cycling tax.
Old 04-07-23, 02:40 AM
andydallas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If you want crazy prices, look at anything aviation related, the one thing in aviation that looks relatively cheap compared to cycling is tires, you can get a tire for most single engine planes for $200+, when you see what we are paying for bike tires that doesn't sound that bad,
Likes For andydallas:
Old 04-07-23, 04:06 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Very nice clean work. I especially like the color choices and saturation, she must also be using expensive paper.

My son dug out my old field bag of watercolor stuff I used overseas in the Army 50 years ago. Of course every thing is dried up to a rock. I decided to give it another try and have been totally flabbergasted by the cost of quality watercolor tubes and paper. Luckily I am one of those guys who only needs a five color palette.
Yep, I was blown away by the cost of some of these things, $10 to $15 for a 1 oz or 2 oz tube. She only recently started dabbling into water colors, and she really likes it, so she started looking into some higher end product. She found while much more expensive, the little tubes of the water color paint are suppose to have a better lifespan and hold their color better.

Old 04-07-23, 04:57 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Those must have been the fancy Daisy models. Most of the Daisy's I remember were hand pump. Didn't Ralphy have to pump his? Maybe if his name had been Rapha, he'd had a fancier CO2 powered model. Get yourself a mini pump. Lots of good models out there.
Old 04-07-23, 05:05 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
There's issues with the oils in the pellet gun cartridges that aren't good for tubes which is the problem with cheap ones, the issue with 12g is that they weren't up to the task of filling the tire to a good enough pressure, hence the shift to 16g.
Below is what my understanding of the situation is, someone please correct me if I am wrong..

I don't think that typical co2 cartridges have oil in them. The ones that do are a specialty item, well labeled as such, and typically a little more expensive. They are generally marketed through brands that cater to the shooting market. Also there is some use of cartridges in the food industry so I'd have to think they'd want to be careful to avoid confusion between their product with oil (often silicone I think) and regular cartridges.

Basically I think you are unlikely to get cartridges with oil in them if you shop for either a bike brand or a no name brand. To be safe I'd maybe avoid a shooting brand like say crossman even if it doesn't appear to have oil, but that is probably overkill.

BTW, I am not big a fan of co2 inflators anyway. For most use a mini pump is a better choice.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-07-23, 06:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you're worried about getting enough air/pressure in the tire with a mini pump, carry a Schrader/Presta adapter and a pressure gauge. Pump enough aire into the tire to get going, then top it off at the next air station you see.

Last edited by seypat; 04-07-23 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-07-23, 06:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

Inflators that accept 12g unthreaded carts are unpopular precisely because 12g carts are unpopular -- they don't provide enough inflation for the tires that more and more people are running. Also, unthreaded inflators are generally less popular than threaded adaptors. Any threaded inflator will accept any threaded CO2 cartridge of any size.

tl;dr: threaded carts (and their inflators) and larger (>12g) CO2 cartridges are more popular, and that's why they are more widely available...Because capitalism..
+1.

When I started commuting to another state on my Bike Friday with 20” wheels I bought an inflator because I didn’t want to sit by the side of the road pumping a tire. It only accepted 12g unthreaded carts. I soon learned that 12g was really not enough for my other bike with larger wheels. If I still have it, it doesn’t get used. And I can’t remember the last time I saw 12g in a LBS. A trip to Walmart is certainly not what I’m interested in, especially since I use so few carts.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-07-23, 06:30 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Jim started the company in the mid-70s. His stuff was in our main LBS by the late 70s. My first water bottle cage was a Blackburn bought in the late-70s. I bought a Blackburn mini-pump in the 80s and it worked well for several decades.

Blackburn’s supply chain disclosure indicates it is now one of the many brands owned by Vista Outdoor, which also owns CCI, Federal and other ammo companies. Basically Vista owns shooting product companies and outdoor sports companies.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.