Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Cycling tax"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-23, 06:32 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Let me introduce you to my wife's world of homemade cards. That is the grand canyon of money pits that the biking world only dreams of becoming. I could have bought 10 of the most expensive bikes on today's market based on the amount of money she has spent on that stuff. We turned a bedroom into her craft room, I redesigned and rebuilt the laundry room to create a larger storage closet for her craft room. The cost of your co2 cartridges should be celebrated and a dance of joy by all. If I had one wish in life, it would be that the home made card market never was.

Now on the flip side.... she enjoys it, is damn talented and has about 10 people that pay her to make their holiday\birthday\ect cards for them, and I would change nothing due to the joy it brings her.
I wholeheartedly agree. My wife also crafted cards. She had an entire room dedicated to her Cricut machines (several of them), embossers, stamps, inks - you name it, she had it. The cards she made were indeed beautiful, one of a kind creations. I figure each card cost somewhere around $500 to make. It kept her busy and happy during her battle with cancer. When she passed, I donated all the supplies to a neighbor, a young art teacher at the local high school.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-07-23, 07:02 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I think this is the way to go. Only weighs 5lbs. Get yourself a rack and strap it on. You'll be ready! Kris "Tanto" Paronto approves.

https://www.amazon.com/Luxfer-Alumin...54860362&psc=1

Last edited by seypat; 04-07-23 at 08:08 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-07-23, 07:21 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
The product I referenced originally, I found at Walmart. I have since noticed, as with other items at Walmart, they stopped carrying certain lesser name brand items and replaced those items with their own "house" brand. In this case, Blackburn. Gone are individual bike components from various manufacturers, all replaced with similar items under the Blackburn brand. No doubt made from the Walmart owned China factory.
Utter nonsense. Blackburn is owned by Vista Outddor. You seem to just make up nonsense in order to feed your own narrative.
Old 04-07-23, 07:47 AM
Koyote

I've never seen Blackburn anywhere else. But I did some research and I guess they're owned by Bell. Fair enough. You were right. All hail Tomato Coupe. It does not change the fact that multiple smaller suppliers were shut out of an entire market by a single conglomerate (which I still would not be surprised to learn Walmart has some stake in one way or another).
Walmart does not have a stake in Vista Outdoor.

"Smaller suppliers" were not "shut out" of the CO2 inflator market -- this is why there are many other companies producing them. (Do you realize there are stores other than Walmart?)

Once again, you are simply making up stuff to fit your worldview. Problem is that it is all very easily proved incorrect.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-07-23, 08:11 AM
seypat

Blackburn is a Walmart house brand?

Last edited by seypat; 04-07-23 at 08:15 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-07-23, 08:32 AM
seypat

Anyone used this one before? Screw on hose, built in gauge, what's not to like?

https://aroundthecycle.com/products/...e-co2-inflator

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-D.../dp/B000IQ9PMA
Old 04-07-23, 08:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
That right there is where the smart money is.

u
I don't tour without one. A couple of people on my 1999 cross country tour had one. We were always borrowing them. Bought my own when I got home. I just wish they would make the gauge more readable by old eyes.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-07-23, 08:39 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Koyote
Walmart does not have a stake in Vista Outdoor.

"Smaller suppliers" were not "shut out" of the CO2 inflator market -- this is why there are many other companies producing them. (Do you realize there are stores other than Walmart?)

Once again, you are simply making up stuff to fit your worldview. Problem is that it is all very easily proved incorrect.
One must also consider the wider uses of CO2 cartridges. Beverage machines, life jackets, etc. Lots of companies/players. Way different than the water heater industry.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-07-23, 08:44 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Blackburn is a Walmart house brand?
if you only shop at walmart, everything is a walmart house brand.
Old 04-07-23, 08:52 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by mschwett
if you only shop at walmart, everything is a walmart house brand.
When I played tennis BITD, that's where I purchased tennis balls. Penn must be one of their house brands also. Since this is the Masters weekend, think about all those golf equipment house brands that Walmart has. Titleiest, TaylorMade, Wilson, Callaway to name a few.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-07-23, 08:55 AM
indyfabz

One must also consider the wider uses of CO2 cartridges. Beverage machines, life jackets, etc. Lots of companies/players. Way different than the water heater industry.
Want to talk about inflation? I spent last Labor Day buying a water heather at Lowe's after I discovered a leak in my 17 year+ old one. Nearly $1,000 for a medium sized one (50 gal., IIRC), not including installation. I was expecting maybe half that.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-07-23, 08:57 AM
seypat

In the power tools/outdoor brands category, you'll be surprised at how many are owned by cheap, low quality Black & Decker.

https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/brands
Old 04-07-23, 08:58 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
My wife knits. She doesn't knit with acrylic yarn from Hobby Lobby. She knits with yarn spun from hairs individually hand harvested in the spring from the underbellies of Siberian Yaks who live on the Asian side of the Caucus mountains between 4,000 and 5,000 meters of elevation. I made all that up but you get the idea.

It's appropriately priced.
Oh you so had me with the first two sentences.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-07-23, 09:00 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

If you're worried about getting enough air/pressure in the tire with a mini pump, carry a Schrader/Presta adapter and a pressure gauge. Pump enough aire into the tire to get going, then top it off at the next air station you see.
Better carry a couple of quarters these days.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-07-23, 09:02 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Want to talk about inflation? I spent last Labor Day buying a water heather at Lowe's after I discovered a leak in my 17 year+ old one. Nearly $1,000 for a medium sized one (50 gal., IIRC), not including installation. I was expecting maybe half that.
Was that gas or electric? In Virgina, if it's gas you have to get a work permit/ licensed plumber to put it in. That'll set you back another $500-1G unless you DIY and break the law. Not to mention bringing any operational stuff up to code.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-07-23, 09:05 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by rsbob
Better carry a couple of quarters these days.
That's actually a really good idea. How much does a quarter weigh? A weight weenie might not want the added weight.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-07-23, 09:08 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Really? I've never seen it anywhere else.
Western Bike Works, Amazon, Moosejaw, Level Nine Sports, REI and on a on. An internet search is your friend.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-07-23, 09:14 AM
indyfabz

Was that gas or electric? In Virgina, if it's gas you have to get a work permit/ licensed plumber to put it in. That'll set you back another $500-1G unless you DIY and break the law. Not to mention bringing any operational stuff up to code.
Gas, which is something I don't mess with. In the end, the whole thing came to $2K with installation. tax, a cheap extended warranty and a skirt to catch any water if it leaks. But it got installed by the Wednesday after Labor Day, so that was nice. And that's a Philly price.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-07-23, 09:19 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by rsbob
Western Bike Works, Amazon, Moosejaw, Level Nine Sports, REI and on a on. An internet search is your friend.
Facts would ruin her paranoid conspiracy narrative.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-07-23, 09:41 AM
Koyote

Gas, which is something I don't mess with. In the end, the whole thing came to $2K with installation. tax, a cheap extended warranty and a skirt to catch any water if it leaks. But it got installed by the Wednesday after Labor Day, so that was nice. And that's a Philly price.
There's obviously a conspiracy to jack up the price of your water heater. I think George Soros is behind it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-07-23, 09:42 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
PS: A "Corvette tax" is a hoot. Corvettes are high performance vehicles, which means that the parts are built to be lighter, stronger, more resistant to heat and other forces, etc etc etc. That's why a Corvette costs more than most cars, and it's why the parts cost more. Sheesh. Can't believe I have to explain this. Do you really think that, e.g., the wide speed-rated tires for a Corvette have the same manufacturing cost as the little low-performance tires that go on a Corolla?
These points are why I've listened to too many people whine and moan about the costs to insure a Corvette. Corvettes and other high performance cars are not basic transportation and a sane person shouldn't expect ownership costs to be the same as a Honda Civic.

Also while I own a CO2 inflator, I've yet to use one in over 50 years of riding bikes. So one is not a necessary evil of owning a bike leaving me to wonder why this is a problem

Old 04-07-23, 09:43 AM
seypat

I don't mess with gas, sweating pipes, etc. either.
At the start of 2020, I decided to replace my gas water heater. Got some quotes from various companies. I had some people lined up in the plumbing profession that would do it on the side/under the table so to speak. I went to Lowes and bought a 50 gallon unit plus everything needed to install it. Then the pandemic hit and those people were not to be found. Started calling local plumbers. Nobody would call me back. Finally found a person that had broken away from a company and just started on his own. He had no helpers, so I was his helper for the job. Also went to the courthouse and did all of the paperwork/payed for the permit since he didn't have the time. The inspecter that did the post installation inspection said it was one of the best he'd seen. The plumber uses me for referals. In the end it took some time, but worked out well. Same for my roof. It was getting in the range for repalcement, not leaking though. Had it lined up to get done right before the pandemic. Then all hell broke loose with material/labor shortages. My business is actually in the constuction materials industry. I ended up acquiring materials over time from some of my customers "Johnny Cash" style until I had everything needed. Kept it all at my warehouse. Finally found someone that would do it for labor only. That was last fall. I don't think some people realize how bad the material shortage problems were.

Last edited by seypat; 04-07-23 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-07-23, 09:46 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I seem to have had a fair share of Labor Day occurring issues with hot water tanks, air conditioners and such over the years. Fortunately (knock on wood) my repairs were able to be handled the Saturday before Labor Day. No AC in my neck of the woods would be rough that weekend with a house full of guests.

Old 04-07-23, 10:05 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
That's actually a really good idea. How much does a quarter weigh? A weight weenie might not want the added weight.
It appears to be specified as 0.2000 oz or 5.670 g. Note, this means five quarters is a very accurate 1 oz weight and 80 quarters is a very accurate one pound weight.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 04-07-23, 10:16 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Facts would ruin her paranoid conspiracy narrative.
Sorry, my bad. What was I thinking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.