Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Cycling tax"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-23, 10:22 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I think this is the way to go. Only weighs 5lbs. Get yourself a rack and strap it on. You'll be ready! Kris "Tanto" Paronto approves.

https://www.amazon.com/Luxfer-Alumin...54860362&psc=1
jet propulsion is THE way to go. Look out e-bikes. I could use that on hills

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-07-23, 11:13 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Laughs in Aviation Tax
(500% markup minimum)
Old 04-07-23, 01:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
That's actually a really good idea. How much does a quarter weigh? A weight weenie might not want the added weight.

I drill holes in my coins.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-07-23, 01:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by rsbob
Western Bike Works, Amazon, Moosejaw, Level Nine Sports, REI and on a on. An internet search is your friend.
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/s...ectedStore=616
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-07-23, 01:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Koyote
There's obviously a conspiracy to jack up the price of your water heater. I think George Soros is behind it.

Powered by the space laser, no doubt.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-07-23, 02:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Chuck M
These points are why I've listened to too many people whine and moan about the costs to insure a Corvette. Corvettes and other high performance cars are not basic transportation and a sane person shouldn't expect ownership costs to be the same as a Honda Civic.

Also while I own a CO2 inflator, I've yet to use one in over 50 years of riding bikes. So one is not a necessary evil of owning a bike leaving me to wonder why this is a problem

Seriously, if you are using a CO2 inflator, you've already sorted yourself into the group willing to pay extra for convenience. Essentially it's a luxury item as compared to having to carry and use a mini-pump. This is like calling the difference in price between bottled water and tap a "water tax".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-07-23, 03:47 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I come from the world of Corvettes and for generations now we have what we refer to as the "Corvette tax". That is additional expense added to ordinary items, or completely dedicated items, specifically for the purpose of extracting more money from owners than your average transportation appliance.

Do we as cyclists suffer the same tax? I think we do. Case in point. A few years ago when I began to get serious about biking, I went to Walmart and found a CO2 inflator that takes the standard 12g CO2 cartridges just like every Daisy BB gun made in the last 50 years. If I had known then what I know now, I would have bought 50 of them. The inflator cost something like $10 and you can get a 5 pack of 12g Daisy cartridges for $2.50. Now that my bike collection has expanded, I have tried to find the same inflator to no avail. I can find various 16g and 20g cartridges, some with threaded fittings, some without. And I can find inflators that accept 16g or 20g cartridges. And of course, the inflators are $20-30 on average and you pay almost as much for a single threaded 16g cartridge as you would for a 5-pack of 12g Daisy cartridges. But that cheap inflator that accepts cheap 12g cartridges has gone the way of the dinosaur.

So must we accept being screwed just because our hobby is seen as a cash cow by specialty producers? Have you seen this in your experience in the hobby?
What you're describing here is price gouging...Basically taking a generic product re-branding it as cycling specific and selling it at 5 times the price....A cycling tax is different. An example of cycling tax would be something like introducing license plates for bikes which have to be renewed annually.
Old 04-07-23, 04:01 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Wait till you get into boating.
Amen!
It will make cycling look like it is government supported.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 04-07-23, 04:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
What you're describing here is price gouging.
One again….

You’re on a roll,
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-07-23, 04:54 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
One again….

You’re on a roll,
In this case it has nothing to do with supply and demand. There is no shortage of CO2 cartridges out there. So why jack up the prices so high ?
Old 04-07-23, 05:14 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by wolfchild
In this case it has nothing to do with supply and demand. There is no shortage of CO2 cartridges out there. So why jack up the prices so high ?
Yeah SOOOOOOOO high.

Please learn what price gouging means instead of giving it your own meaning.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-07-23, 05:21 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
I think this is the way to go. Only weighs 5lbs. Get yourself a rack and strap it on. You'll be ready! Kris "Tanto" Paronto approves.

https://www.amazon.com/Luxfer-Alumin...54860362&psc=1
Well, hell, if Tanto suggests it, who am I to argue?
Blackburn is a Walmart house brand?
OK, so Wally World may not own them, but Blackburn has replaced virtually every other competing product on the shelves. So Blackburn is effectively the "house brand" even if they don't have stake in the company.
Originally Posted by rsbob
Western Bike Works, Amazon, Moosejaw, Level Nine Sports, REI and on a on. An internet search is your friend.
Not really looking for their stuff but I've never run across Blackburn searching on Amazon.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Seriously, if you are using a CO2 inflator, you've already sorted yourself into the group willing to pay extra for convenience. Essentially it's a luxury item as compared to having to carry and use a mini-pump. This is like calling the difference in price between bottled water and tap a "water tax".
I don't see it like that at all. I chose to go the CO2 route mainly for the size and how quick you can get back up to pressure. This is a consideration for me since I participate in several triathlons a year. I suck at the swim and the run, so I make all of my time on the ride. I've been fortunate so far not to have a flat during an event but I'm sure my time is coming. And when it does, even the extra few seconds between a CO2 inflator and a hand pump will be worth it to me.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-07-23, 06:11 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts

replacing a tube and inflating a tire during an event consumes too much valuable time

just tie the tire to isolate the problem area and get goin !
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-07-23, 06:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Well, hell, if Tanto suggests it, who am I to argue?

OK, so Wally World may not own them, but Blackburn has replaced virtually every other competing product on the shelves. So Blackburn is effectively the "house brand" even if they don't have stake in the company.

Not really looking for their stuff but I've never run across Blackburn searching on Amazon.

I don't see it like that at all. I chose to go the CO2 route mainly for the size and how quick you can get back up to pressure. This is a consideration for me since I participate in several triathlons a year. I suck at the swim and the run, so I make all of my time on the ride. I've been fortunate so far not to have a flat during an event but I'm sure my time is coming. And when it does, even the extra few seconds between a CO2 inflator and a hand pump will be worth it to me.
Yes, you are paying for the convenience because it makes you more competitive, it's not a "tax" in any reasonable sense of the word. Your OP complains of being "screwed". Seriously, this sense of victimhood is just you whining about having to pay for your more expensive desires.
Old 04-07-23, 06:39 PM
VegasJen

I can't get over the number of people here that take stuff so seriously. Wow.
Originally Posted by t2p

replacing a tube and inflating a tire during an event consumes too much valuable time

just tie the tire to isolate the problem area and get goin !
Now that is one way to Git-R-Dun!
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-07-23, 07:29 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I seem to have had a fair share of Labor Day occurring issues with hot water tanks, air conditioners and such over the years. Fortunately (knock on wood) my repairs were able to be handled the Saturday before Labor Day. No AC in my neck of the woods would be rough that weekend with a house full of guests.
Yea I had to replace my AC last year that took my budget for my guest bath rebuild. $9k for a 3.5 ton multistage setup. Saves me a bunch of money on my electric bill so I guess that is an offset. Going to try and get my guest bath toward the end of the year after I pay uncle sam an addition sum of cash next week.

Last edited by BillyD; 04-08-23 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Politics
Old 04-07-23, 07:49 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Please stop.

Blackburn is a well-established and well known brand that's been around for decades. You'll find it in virtually every local bike shop, and every online bike store. Your ignorance doesn't change that.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-07-23, 08:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
We're going to add "house brand" to the list of things you don't understand. Definition.

Good grief. There is sooo much Blackburn stuff on Amazon that they have their own store page. And you can find it on countless other websites, in bike shops, five and dimes, etc.

Continuing to insist on things that are so easily refuted (and have been clearly refuted so many times) is just weird.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-07-23, 08:19 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
We're going to add "house brand" to the list of things you don't understand. Definition.

Good grief. There is sooo much Blackburn stuff on Amazon that they have their own store page. And you can find it on countless other websites, in bike shops, five and dimes, etc.

Continuing to insist on things that are so easily refuted (and have been clearly refuted so many times) is just weird.
Weird, or trolling.

Blackburn is even well known and respected in the niche touring realm, if only for their racks.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=blackburn..._ts-doa-p_3_15
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-07-23, 08:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Weird, or trolling.

Blackburn is even well known and respected in the niche touring realm, if only for their racks.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=blackburn..._ts-doa-p_3_15
I know, right? Blackburn stuff is everywhere. Shoot, I've found some of it on the road.
Old 04-07-23, 09:09 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
I still have a rear rack with his first and last name on it.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-07-23, 09:28 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I still have a rear rack with his first and last name on it.
I had a wind trainer back in the late 80s.
Old 04-07-23, 09:56 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Weird, or trolling.

I have a set of Blackburn Expedition racks which are a quality product. They're 33 years old now.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-07-23, 11:14 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Yea I had to replace my AC last year that took my budget for my guest bath rebuild. $9k for a 3.5 ton multistage setup. Saves me a bunch of money on my electric bill so I guess that is an offset. Going to try and get my guest bath toward the end of the year after I pay uncle sam an addition sum of cash next week. .
If you're in Fla, then that's the Fla AC tax. I needed some gas in my r-22 unit. No one would fill it -- said it was illegal. I had an r-22 quit a few months later in New Orleans and had no problem getting gas for it. The tech had to replace the outside unit fan, and of course motor cap and said it might last another 6 months, but I said nope it's good. Those caps --- is there ever a service call where they don't try to sell you one for like a hundred bucks?

Last edited by BillyD; 04-08-23 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Cleanup
Old 04-07-23, 11:26 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Please stop.

Blackburn is a well-established and well known brand that's been around for decades. You'll find it in virtually every local bike shop, and every online bike store. Your ignorance doesn't change that.
Why? You seem to be enjoying this.

I don't haunt a lot of bike shops, but so far the only place I've ever really seen Blackburn is in Wally World. Whatev.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.