Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

105 vs Ultegra. Is it worth $300 more for Ultegra?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

105 vs Ultegra. Is it worth $300 more for Ultegra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 02:06 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Also known as half a pound. Something I suspect most people don't think of as insignificant.
Whatever you think, it is insignificant for your actual performance and very easily calculated.

For example it’s worth about 6 seconds over a 10 km 8% climb, which I am sure is insignificant for pretty much everyone.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-20-23, 03:01 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Whatever you think, it is insignificant for your actual performance and very easily calculated.

For example it’s worth about 6 seconds over a 10 km 8% climb, which I am sure is insignificant for pretty much everyone.
Exactly, and really all most of us do on this forum is to ride for our health, even IF it took 5 minutes longer, an exaggeration, for us to complete a 30-mile ride vs someone on a 13-pound aero bike that cost $15,000, do we really care? The time I would have to work to save the money to buy a $15,000 bike is far greater than the 5 extra minutes spent riding! Unless of course I made $15,000 for every minute that I worked then I wouldn't care.

Improving your engine, losing body weight if necessary, is far more important than 8 ounces of weight on a bike. If you're really that concerned about weight, chuck one of the bottles full of water that weighs 24 ounces, and just bare it till you get home; good grief, you could lose more weight than 8 ounces by taking a dump before riding, heck if you pee before you go you lose around 8 ounces!!!

So yes, I do think that for the average rider who wants to ride for health benefits 8 ounces is extremely insignificant. Even Grant at Rivendell has been preaching this same thing for many years.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 07-20-23, 03:11 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by datlas
Some day, when my ship comes in.

In the meantime, the Habanero at 14 years old and 80K miles on it is barely middle aged when it comes to bikes.
That Habanero you have is an excellent bike, like you said, there is no reason to dump it for something lighter, besides, your bike is made of Titanium, so it probably weighs around 17 to 19 pounds depending on how it was equipped, to save 2 pounds you would have to spend a lot of money to find a bike that would weigh between 15 to 17 pounds. On top of that, your Habanero frame will outlast any of those lighter CF bikes, by not just a few years, but by several lifetimes!

I have a bike with over 150,000 miles on it, a steel frame bike, I raced and trained all over mountains in S California on that bike for roughly 130,000 of those miles, and the frame is fine, even the components never broke, it's still rideable though I retired it. So your bike with 80,000 miles is as you say, middle aged, the components are middle age, the frame is still an infant!

Heck, you could probably lose close to 2 pounds by just spending money on a new wheelset!
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 07-20-23, 03:34 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
That Habanero you have is an excellent bike, like you said, there is no reason to dump it for something lighter, besides, your bike is made of Titanium, so it probably weighs around 17 to 19 pounds depending on how it was equipped, to save 2 pounds you would have to spend a lot of money to find a bike that would weigh between 15 to 17 pounds. On top of that, your Habanero frame will outlast any of those lighter CF bikes, by not just a few years, but by several lifetimes!

I have a bike with over 150,000 miles on it, a steel frame bike, I raced and trained all over mountains in S California on that bike for roughly 130,000 of those miles, and the frame is fine, even the components never broke, it's still rideable though I retired it. So your bike with 80,000 miles is as you say, middle aged, the components are middle age, the frame is still an infant!

Heck, you could probably lose close to 2 pounds by just spending money on a new wheelset!
Agree that the frame should last a long time. I have no real interest in pitching it, but am frustrated that newer group sets are not supporting rim brakes.
Old 07-20-23, 04:33 PM
rekmeyata

Agree that the frame should last a long time. I have no real interest in pitching it, but am frustrated that newer group sets are not supporting rim brakes.
So, buy NOS older group set that is. All you really are questioning is the calipers, there are plenty of currently made rim brake rims being made, so no problem there, and there are companies still making rim brake calipers, so not sure what your thinking of where the problem is. Shimano R7000 105 groupset has rim brakes, as does Ultegra 8000; SRAM Rival is another; you can even buy separately made components as well if you want high end.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 07-20-23, 05:30 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
It’s significant to me, then. Not just because of performance, but something to shoot for. $300 for half a pound reduction, not to mention better fit/finish and maybe reliability? Yeah, I’d pay that price.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-20-23, 05:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
It’s significant to me, then. Not just because of performance, but something to shoot for. $300 for half a pound reduction, not to mention better fit/finish and maybe reliability? Yeah, I’d pay that price.
Not that I go out and price group sets but was very surprised that the difference was ONLY $300. My unwashed brain guessed it would be something more like $500-$800 but then I am ‘used to’ Campy prices between gruppos which are astronomical.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-20-23, 05:56 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
To all who say: "Weight just doesn't matter." Why is it then that no one takes off their seat post, and finds the nearest funnel, fills the frame with lead shot before replacing the seat post and riding away happily, knowing that the ride experience will be unaffected in any way?

Seriously. I have yet to meet anyone of "go poo before a ride" camp that will intentionally add weight to their bike for the purpose of some perceived benefit. Even if it is for the sole purpose of proving a point. I know lots of bikes that are incidentally 30 or 40 pounds. They don't ride like high performance race bikes.

If you really think weight doesn't matter to the riding experience, hook up a kids trailer with 50 pounds of free-weights, fill the frame with lead shot, pump the tires with a bunch of water and find a local brisk paced group ride. Do an A/B test. Report back here that there was no change to the ride experience whatsoever. 'Cause Imma know you are still full of that poo you (now secretly wish) you'd left before the ride.

You anti-weight-weeies: I call your bluff.

Last edited by base2; 07-20-23 at 06:56 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 07-20-23, 06:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
To all who say: "Weight just doesn't matter." Why is it then that no one takes off their seat post, and finds the nearest funnel, fills the frame with lead shot before replacing the seat post and riding away happily, knowing that the ride experience will be unaffected in any way?

Seriously. I have yet to meet anyone of "go poo before a ride" camp that will intentionally add weight to their bike for the purpose of some perceived benefit. Even if it is for the sole purpose of proving a point. I know lots of bikes that are incidentally 30 or 40 pounds. They don't ride like high performance race bikes.

If you really think weight doesn't matter to the riding experience, hook up a kids trailer with 50 pounds of free-weights, fill the frame with lead shot, pump the tires with a bunch of water and find a local brisk paced group ride. Do an A/B test. Report back here that there was no change to the ride experience whatsoever. 'Cause Imma know you are still full of that poo you'd wish you (now secretly wish) you'd left before the ride.

A pound or two does not matter much. Obviously adding several pounds will start to matter a bit more. Volunteering to add lots of weight is just silly.
Old 07-20-23, 06:32 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
“Is it worth???…”

That is impossible to give a perfect blanket answer for. It’s entirely subjective to each person.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-20-23, 06:33 PM
smd4

A pound or two does not matter much.
Does to me.

My old steel bike with clinchers weighed 22.5 pounds. I’m never going CF, so the frame is a constant. Over the last few years I’ve enjoyed the sub-hobby of making my bike lighter. Weight weenie? Sure, if you’ve gotta label me.

But I’ve had a lot of fun figuring out where I can save some weight. Managed to drop a pound, and have enjoyed every minute and every purchase.

Last edited by smd4; 07-20-23 at 06:52 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-20-23, 06:55 PM
PeteHski

If you really think weight doesn't matter to the riding experience, hook up a kids trailer with 50 pounds of free-weights, fill the frame with lead shot, pump the tires with a bunch of water and find a local brisk paced group ride. Do an A/B test. Report back here that there was no change to the ride experience whatsoever. 'Cause Imma know you are still full of that poo you'd wish you (now secretly wish) you'd left before the ride.

WTF??
We were talking about a 200g difference across the entire group set. So let’s not confuse that with filling the frame with lead and adding a trailer with 50 lbs of weights.
Old 07-20-23, 07:01 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

A pound or two does not matter much. Obviously adding several pounds will start to matter a bit more. Volunteering to add lots of weight is just silly.
WTF??
We were talking about a 200g difference across the entire group set. So let’s not confuse that with filling the frame with lead and adding a trailer with 50 lbs of weights.
So weight does matter, then?

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 07-20-23, 07:01 PM
smd4

I’m waiting too…
Old 07-20-23, 07:10 PM
PeteHski

Not in the context of this thread topic when comparing 105 vs Ultegra ie less than 200g

Do you honestly think you would be able to tell the difference in a blind test of that weight difference?
Old 07-20-23, 07:15 PM
smd4

Not in the context of this thread topic when comparing 105 vs Ultegra ie less than 200g

Do you honestly think you would be able to tell the difference in a blind test of that weight difference?
Better parts aren’t just about weight. Simple advice: Buy the highest level parts you can afford.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-20-23, 07:27 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts

I guess when I ask the question I was not really thinking about weight, but quality, look, feel etc. I did end up feeling for me the differences was probably worth the extra coin to me, without ever riding a bike with either one how crazy is that.. I do remember back in the old days I liked dura-ace over 600 or ultegra.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 07-20-23, 07:43 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by jadmt
I did end up feeling for me the differences was probably worth the extra coin to me, without ever riding a bike with either one how crazy is that.. I do remember back in the old days I liked dura-ace over 600 or ultegra.
Not crazy at all! I’m totally with you. Don’t let the cheapskates win! This forum is dominated by old guys who are afraid of new things and are cheap by nature.
Old 07-20-23, 08:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Not crazy at all! I’m totally with you. Don’t let the cheapskates win! This forum is dominated by old guys who are afraid of new things and are cheap by nature.
Please define the age cutoff for old guys. Over 40-50-60-70-80? And is dropping $2K on a wheel set cheap?

Old 07-20-23, 08:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
This is like the old joke, the punchline of which is "We've established what you are. Now we're just haggling over the price."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-23, 08:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Please define the age cutoff for old guys. Over 40-50-60-70-80? And is dropping $2K on a wheel set cheap?
Also, what gets cut off? That's pretty important too!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-23, 09:14 PM
rekmeyata

If you really think weight doesn't matter to the riding experience, hook up a kids trailer with 50 pounds of free-weights, fill the frame with lead shot, pump the tires with a bunch of water and find a local brisk paced group ride. Do an A/B test. Report back here that there was no change to the ride experience whatsoever. 'Cause Imma know you are still full of that poo you (now secretly wish) you'd left before the ride.

Wow, talking about being melodramatic!
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 07-20-23, 09:21 PM
base2 
I am potato.

I say this knowing full well that testimonial is the weakest form of evidence. But yes, absolutely...with caveats. A/B test with a 400 gram Redshift seatpost and a 97 gram Darimo seatpost. The difference is quite noticeable when throwing the bike around dancing on the pedals. 300 grams high up & swinging about.

Same difference between a 4 liter Cranktank 4 mounted low at the crankset and a 4 liter MSR Dromedary bag hanging off the top tube in a Revelate frame bag. Essentially a 0 grams difference in this example. The behavior difference of where that 4000 grams is placed is obvious. Even in seated normal riding.

Competing examples of how much and where placed. Both yield noticeable differences in riding experience.

Why carry around more than you need to? Every gram saved is a gram that can be spent on a more important capability elsewhere. As one singular example: 200 grams of groupset weight not spent, affords that many more energy bars or gels for free. That's 6 free hammer gels every ride & the miles those gels power for zero performance penalty. 6 gels power a lot of miles.

Last edited by base2; 07-20-23 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-20-23, 10:13 PM
ClintCAAD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can afford it, then yes. 105 is perfectly fine and you wouldn't know the difference.
But aesthetically, Ultegra looks and feels a little bit more premium
Old 07-21-23, 04:33 AM
PeteHski

I say this knowing full well that testimonial is the weakest form of evidence. But yes, absolutely...with caveats. A/B test with a 400 gram Redshift seatpost and a 97 gram Darimo seatpost. The difference is quite noticeable when throwing the bike around dancing on the pedals. 300 grams high up & swinging about.

Same difference between a 4 liter Cranktank 4 mounted low at the crankset and a 4 liter MSR Dromedary bag hanging off the top tube in a Revelate frame bag. Essentially a 0 grams difference in this example. The behavior difference of where that 4000 grams is placed is obvious. Even in seated normal riding.

Competing examples of how much and where placed. Both yield noticeable differences in riding experience.

Why carry around more than you need to? Every gram saved is a gram that can be spent on a more important capability elsewhere. As one singular example: 200 grams of groupset weight not spent, affords that many more energy bars or gels for free. That's 6 free hammer gels every ride & the miles those gels power for zero performance penalty. 6 gels power a lot of miles.
You are just waffling now. Nobody can tell a difference of 200g distributed throughout the whole group set.

Your comparison with energy gels is next level silliness. Totally absurd.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.