Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Hip) Pubic ramus fracture

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-23, 06:55 AM
ADAM31

Bikes: 2013 felt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So I crashed yesterday and fractured my pubic ramus. I actually feel ok, no pain meds. I am moving around on crutches and able to get up and down stairs with support. Question to anyone who has broken their hip and your recovery time to get back out and start riding again? It’s been less than 24 hours and I am already going stir crazy
Old 09-03-23, 09:11 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by ADAM31
So I crashed yesterday and fractured my pubic ramus. I actually feel ok, no pain meds. I am moving around on crutches and able to get up and down stairs with support. Question to anyone who has broken their hip and your recovery time to get back out and start riding again? It’s been less than 24 hours and I am already going stir crazy
Tough... If you're not feeling much pain, we can assume the fracture is not displaced?
if so, mine also was non-displaced... You don't mention your age or general overall condition...
I was early 40's at the time (now 74...). Tough kinda fracture, because walking with weight on that leg/side puts stress on the fracture, a bit. And sitting certainly is high stress.
Walking with crutches is good - I can recommend a 'rollator' if your balance is good. Crutches are better for delicate mobility (like maneuvering around a house and doing small stairs), rollator works great for getting around outdoors and less stressful on arms and pits.
Also used a large doughnut cushion for periods of sitting... Trying to remember ... I believe I was with 'aids' for about 5 weeks, but can;t remember how long I was off bike... longer...

Currently also dealing with fractures and significant flesh/ligament wounds - multiple foot bone and ankle fractures from being broadsided by auto which ran Stop sign... Surgery, and Now In my 9th week recovery. Just in my first few days of walking with any weight on leg... maybe get on bike, on a trainer... just to spin a bit... also jonesin bad to DO things!

Follow what your orthopedist suggests, especially the early recovery period ! Do things you can do to improve blood circulation throughout the day help a bunch. Watch your overall calories ! Weight gain is highly possible - and it's not 'good' weight.
If your area allows, get out for walks frequently ! I try to do 2 long walks every day.
Best Wishes ! You will recover... and I will recover...
Ride On
Yuri

EDIT: ...Oh, and I Bought myself a NEW Carbon Gravel Bike ! Just received and sittin in the box waiting for 'birthing', soon!
A little 'antibiotic' for my wounded spirit !!! LOL!

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-03-23 at 09:31 AM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-04-23, 04:49 AM
ADAM31

Bikes: 2013 felt

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am 50 I put 180-200 miles a week on the bike primarily outside. I weight train three days a week. I can sit ok. Walking on crutches and able to put weight on the leg, I can even do small squats. I think sleeping with my legs straight out and coughing are the most uncomfortable. In the end I think I was more concerned about my bike🤔
Old 09-04-23, 09:33 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by ADAM31
I am 50 I put 180-200 miles a week on the bike primarily outside. I weight train three days a week. I can sit ok. Walking on crutches and able to put weight on the leg, I can even do small squats. I think sleeping with my legs straight out and coughing are the most uncomfortable. In the end I think I was more concerned about my bike🤔
It sounds like a very minor fracture because your pain is pretty minimal. What did your doctor say? I cracked my pelvis in three places (non-displaced) and the recommendation for me was "self healing, pain limited." The risk you run with your current situation is that if you take another tumble, the pelvis weakened by the slight fracture could really break with a displaced fracture and then you'd likely be looking at surgery. Typical bone healing is 6-8 weeks. I was on my bike on the rollers after 4 weeks (with some pain and obvious loss of strength) and on the bike on the road after 6 weeks. I expect my doctor would have wanted me to wait longer. I was fully recovered (no pain, full strength and endurance) after 3 months, which is what the first doctor contact suggested would be the case.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 09-04-23, 11:41 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Yes. Fracture healing is generally 6 - 8 weeks if you are otherwise healthy. Take your pain medication of choice, tylenol, motrin, etc, and stay active. Do stretchinig and range of motion excercise. As mentioned, a donut cushion can help with sitting pain. Let pain be your guide.

Last edited by Jicafold; 09-05-23 at 06:50 AM.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 09-04-23, 01:36 PM
Hvac

Bikes: About 10

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
MD here. Agree with all the above. Bickers are so fit they DIY their own physical therapy.
Likes For Hvac:
Old 09-06-23, 09:37 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
Yes. Fracture healing is generally 6 - 8 weeks if you are otherwise healthy. Take your pain medication of choice, tylenol, motrin, etc, and stay active. Do stretchinig and range of motion excercise. As mentioned, a donut cushion can help with sitting pain. Let pain be your guide.
Should have emphasized staying active. Increased blood flow supports bone healing, so anything you can do to keep the blood flowing is good. I got out on my crutches for an hour or so a day. Sore hands and some blisters but it was good to be outside and I know it was good for me to not lose as much muscle mass or fitness.
Old 09-06-23, 10:05 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvac
MD here. Agree with all the above. Bickers are so fit they DIY their own physical therapy.
In a fashion... as long as we stay within the general guidelines of what Orthopedists say is the best way to heal... which is assumed.
I wasn't real sure, so I asked my MD (recently, for current injury recovery) IF, something I was considering was a good idea. She explained why it was and what wasn't so good...
I'm being less adventurous and more considerate of strong, knowledge advise, and it's working ! Crazy how that is ! LOL! Not been my past reputation for injury recovery.
Tempering and moderating my 'enthusiasm' is working... Finding a good compromise...
You CAN teach an Old Fool, New Tricks !
Ride (shuffle, roll) On
Yuri