Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

How many shims can I put under these handlebars?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 12:51 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

I'd like to make the drops on this 56cm bike a little taller to hopefully take some pressure off my neck. How many shims could I safely fit?

Old 03-20-24, 02:00 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
You need some width of spacer on top.So not much, say about half that top spacer. I'd grab that ~2mm, plus I'd look for stem with a steeper angle. The last bit of height could come from bars with about a cm of rise, but that's the most $, so last in line.
Old 03-20-24, 02:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
You might try looking for some riser drop bars to get you a little higher. You aren't going to raise that stem and handle bars by more than what's on top of the stem. If your steerer tube is steel, you might can put that spacer on top the stem underneath. But that isn't going to get you much useful height to make a difference. If that is a carbon steerer, then for sure you should leave a spacer on top and 2mm is about as small a spacer I've seen for steerer tubes.

Make sure you know how it all goes back together. That stem is what's holding the headset bearings in proper compression so there isn't any play. When you take that stem off, your fork might fall off if the bike is hung in work stand.
Old 03-20-24, 05:22 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Iride01
You might try looking for some riser drop bars to get you a little higher. You aren't going to raise that stem and handle bars by more than what's on top of the stem. If your steerer tube is steel, you might can put that spacer on top the stem underneath. But that isn't going to get you much useful height to make a difference. If that is a carbon steerer, then for sure you should leave a spacer on top and 2mm is about as small a spacer I've seen for steerer tubes.

Make sure you know how it all goes back together. That stem is what's holding the headset bearings in proper compression so there isn't any play. When you take that stem off, your fork might fall off if the bike is hung in work stand.
Gotcha! Yeah I watched a YouTube video on raising the bars so I know exactly what you mean. I may go ahead and put that last spacer under. I bought his bike used for $300 so I'm guessing the stem is not CF. I'll see what a steeper angle stem would cost. Is that easy to replace? I have basic tools and basic abilities and no work stand.
Old 03-20-24, 05:23 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
You need some width of spacer on top.So not much, say about half that top spacer. I'd grab that ~2mm, plus I'd look for stem with a steeper angle. The last bit of height could come from bars with about a cm of rise, but that's the most $, so last in line.
Is the stem change something a newbie could do? I have basic tools, used to fix/maintain my own motorcycles but I have no work stand.
Old 03-20-24, 06:08 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Is the stem change something a newbie could do? I have basic tools, used to fix/maintain my own motorcycles but I have no work stand.
Yes, only issue I can see is maybe the brake cables being too short.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-21-24, 05:54 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Definitely! Below is a great vid from Park Tool. (Also, my comment about needing a thin spacer on top only applies if the steerer tube is carbon.) New stems are inexpensive, I think a 35 degree stem is the practical max for height increase.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 03-21-24 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-21-24, 08:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Technically this is more a thread for the Bicycle Mechanics sub-forum.

While moving the bars higher will impact the fit of the cyclist, the actual moving of the spacers, stem and related things are mechanical issues.
Old 03-21-24, 08:57 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
You might try an adjustable stem like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Ritchey brand has two bolts on the pivot which makes it a lot more secure (and quiet) than most of the other brands.
Old 03-21-24, 09:32 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Originally Posted by Iride01
Technically this is more a thread for the Bicycle Mechanics sub-forum.

While moving the bars higher will impact the fit of the cyclist, the actual moving of the spacers, stem and related things are mechanical issues.
Are you saying this forum is for theory only?
Old 03-21-24, 09:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by curbtender
Are you saying this forum is for theory only?
No, I'm saying this sub-forum is for discussion about how a person fits themselves to their bike. Not how you fit parts and components to your bike and adjust them.

While discussion about how high or low the bars should be for any person is a valid topic. The actual mechanics involved for changing the bar height is not.

Besides, theory requires some scientific facts. We don't always work off of facts. At best maybe a hypothesis.
Old 03-21-24, 12:27 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Before purchasing more stuff, try rotating your handlebar so you have a flat spot to place your hands. As it is now, your hands are probably sliding down the bar into the crook of the STI levers. The reach portion of a compact style bar is ideally perfectly horizontal but may be tilted slightly upward in front. You can also go for a horizontal bar while moving the STI levers upward a degree or two.
Old 03-21-24, 04:56 PM
curbtender

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Before purchasing more stuff, try rotating your handlebar so you have a flat spot to place your hands. As it is now, your hands are probably sliding down the bar into the crook of the STI levers. The reach portion of a compact style bar is ideally perfectly horizontal but may be tilted slightly upward in front. You can also go for a horizontal bar while moving the STI levers upward a degree or two.
Good point. I've had to show a few people how to ride the hoods.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-31-24, 05:01 PM
squachie

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
no you do not need a spacer on top. depending on the how long the top bolt is, he might be able to go twice the size of the spacer on top placed under his stem. but that is about it
Old 04-23-24, 05:35 PM
vt1565

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to cycling as an adult, but I was able to install a stem riser very easily with just some allen wrenches. I also added a shorter stem, and the addition of these two items did wonders for my back, arms, and palms (numbness). I did also learn that I need to engage my core more as well.

From the picture, I don't think it will make a difference, but I did this on a mountain bike.