Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thinking about bar ends.......

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-24, 03:42 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts

.....for my flat bar road bike. My main ride since I got it a year (or two?) ago, is a Giant in minty condition that I lucked into on FB Marketplace, and am almost bizarrely enamored with. I've barely touched my road bike, or heavier-duty other hybrid, since getting it.
I want to stick with the flat bar, but feel like i could use some hand position variety, and some sort of ergo bar ends seem like a good option.
I'm hoping for some advice on options (hopefully, relatively economical).
thanks......
Old 03-31-24, 03:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,808 Posts
Ergon. They ain't cheap, but they are well-made there are a variety of options.

These are the ones I have.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-31-24, 04:07 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Yeah, I've seen the Ergons on-line, they seem to have set the bar (pardon the pun), but $50-60+ is a bit steep for me right now. I was kinda hoping some folks here had some positive experiences with some more economical versions.
ive read a bunch of good reviews on much cheaper variants, and afterall, they're just bicycle grips, not the fuel tank seals on the space shuttle,LOL! 😂

Last edited by Brocephus; 03-31-24 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-01-24, 11:53 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
.....for my flat bar road bike. My main ride since I got it a year (or two?) ago, is a Giant in minty condition that I lucked into on FB Marketplace, and am almost bizarrely enamored with. I've barely touched my road bike, or heavier-duty other hybrid, since getting it.
I want to stick with the flat bar, but feel like i could use some hand position variety, and some sort of ergo bar ends seem like a good option.
I'm hoping for some advice on options (hopefully, relatively economical).
thanks......
Some used Ergons on Ebay:
1. Ergon - GP5-L Ergonomic Lock-on Bicycle Grips with Bar Ends, Large, Black/Gray 4260477061058 | eBay

2. Ergon GP3-S Ergonomic Bike Grips w Medium Size Bar End Support Regular Shifter | eBay

Non-Ergon but interesting:
1. Bontrager Full Bend Alloy Bar End Set Long L-Bend Black Mountain Commuter Bike | eBay
2. Origin-8 Commuter Bike Handle Bar End Set Compe Lite Alloy Long L-Bend Black | eBay
3. Profile Design Boxer Bar Ends Black | eBay
4. Amazon.com : Giant Contact AL Bar Ends (Silver) : Sports & Outdoors
5. Giant brand - Contact AL bar ends | eBay

Good luck in your search!
Stay safe!

Best regards

Last edited by flan48; 04-01-24 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Wrong signature
Likes For flan48:
Old 04-01-24, 12:17 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I have one pair of Ergons with built-in bar ends, but I prefer separate ones (such as from Origin-8 or similar). I like wrapping these either with the old school foam grips or several layers of padded bar tape. I like the separate ones because there's generally more choice in size and shape and they're more configurable for me. I sometimes pair them with standard Ergon grips, but I don't think I'll buy more Ergons with the built-in bar ends.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-01-24, 12:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,011 Times in 2,677 Posts
A huge +1 for Ergon. There is Ergon and then blank space and then everything else. Ergonomics is literally in the name and they are the most comfortable grips and bar ends out there because they fit the hand nicely and comfortably.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-02-24, 09:18 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,193 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
A huge +1 for Ergon. There is Ergon and then blank space and then everything else. Ergonomics is literally in the name and they are the most comfortable grips and bar ends out there because they fit the hand nicely and comfortably.
This ^^^

I've been a 'flat-bar guy' since I re-started cycling in 2002. Experimented with everything until I tried Ergons -- some time around the mid 2010s, I think -- and ... instant success. Haven't used anything else since. Caveat: I don't use the round ones, so can't speak to those, but the 'wing' style I'd recommend to anyone for road/trekking etc. kinds of riding. I like the ones with integrated short bar ends.
Likes For badger1:
Old 04-03-24, 05:59 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by badger1
...... Caveat: I don't use the round ones, so can't speak to those, but the 'wing' style I'd recommend to anyone.....
Hey, I'm not following, can you clarify? Thanks....
Old 04-03-24, 06:14 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,193 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Hey, I'm not following, can you clarify? Thanks....
Ergon makes a variety of grips, including now what you might call 'traditional' round grips like the ones you would see everywhere, e.g. on mountain bikes, but they made their name with these:

https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product...uring&a=griffe
Likes For badger1:
Old 04-04-24, 06:09 AM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I currently have the Ergon GP3 grips and bar ends. I’ve been thinking about upping the ante to the GP5.
Old 04-09-24, 01:29 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Just FYI, Russ from Path Less Pedaled on YouTube is working with Merry Sales to develop a bar end with a hinged attachment so you can put them anywhere on your handlebar without having to take your cockpit apart. Not sure what the ETA is.
Likes For Korina:
Old 04-09-24, 05:20 PM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bald1der
I currently have the Ergon GP3 grips and bar ends. I’ve been thinking about upping the ante to the GP5.
I have GP5s and love them. Went into the shop planning to order and the GP3, but distributor didn’t have any, so I got the 5. Very thankful it worked out that way and haven’t regretted the extra cost once. The grips themselves are great, but I am often on the ends in various places.
Old 04-09-24, 06:21 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I sometimes use my mtn.bike on paved paths, to provide a work out. I don't use bar ends on trails (don't want to snag a branch!), but do use these to offer some variance for hand positions (but just if riding pavement-no trail riding with these on!): Profile Design Boxer Bar Ends - Brands Cycle and Fitness

Last edited by freeranger; 04-09-24 at 06:36 PM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 04-12-24, 06:34 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I sometimes use my mtn.bike on paved paths, to provide a work out. I don't use bar ends on trails (don't want to snag a branch!), but do use these to offer some variance for hand positions (but just if riding pavement-no trail riding with these on!): Profile Design Boxer Bar Ends - Brands Cycle and Fitness
i have used the GP5 and like them... but I like them more on certain bars than others. The original flat bar/GP5 combo on my Quick were great. I upgraeded to RF riser/swept back bars and they don't feel right. I have them on another bike with similar riser/swept back bars and the feel is similar. Hmmm... I never thought about it until posting this response.
Old 04-12-24, 03:03 PM
SirLeaflock

Originally Posted by Trav1s
i have used the GP5 and like them... but I like them more on certain bars than others. The original flat bar/GP5 combo on my Quick were great. I upgraeded to RF riser/swept back bars and they don't feel right. I have them on another bike with similar riser/swept back bars and the feel is similar. Hmmm... I never thought about it until posting this response.
ergon has a model of grips for swept back bars that I’ve considered trying on my Big Dummy with VO tourist bars. Those bars seem to bother my wrists. I’m currently leaning towards getting some Nitto Losco bars from Blue Lug as I think those will fit me a lot better. I had an old Schwinn world tourist and don’t recall any issues with those bars.
Old 04-13-24, 05:37 PM
Vermilion

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 31 Posts
Admittedly I'm old school, but +1 on the Profile Design Boxers. Good variety of hand positions and comfy when wrapped with padded handlebar tape. Attractively priced, too. I've been running them for about a quarter of a century.
Old 04-14-24, 01:43 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 337 Posts
I used to be a bullhorn bar guy, but those were 40 cm center to center, flat bar with bar-ends is 54 cm, much more comfortable. I first went with the Origin-8 rubber-covered shorty ends, but went to more conventional bar-ends because I wanted hands further forward when climbing while standing. The ones I settled on are larger diameter than typical, more area on my hand, better. I still covered them with sheet closed cell foam wrapped and sloppily taped, as I haven't yet found bar padding in that diameter (what they used to call Grab-Ons).

All of the above were dirt cheap at my LBS which has a big used parts department. They have tons of bar-ends as they have gone out of fashion, I think banned from MTB racing due to hooking with adjacent riders or impaling, not sure, mine are all rounded or blunt on ends.

Bonus points: I found L-shaped flat-bar brake levers that I can also apply when on the bar-ends. They're heavy, as the typical lightweight U-section levers would twist when pulling on the offset end, so these are solid section aluminum.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-14-24 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-14-24, 03:27 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by SirLeaflock
ergon has a model of grips for swept back bars that I’ve considered trying on my Big Dummy with VO tourist bars. Those bars seem to bother my wrists. I’m currently leaning towards getting some Nitto Losco bars from Blue Lug as I think those will fit me a lot better. I had an old Schwinn world tourist and don’t recall any issues with those bars.
Which model is that? I like my Tourist Bar, but I'm always adjusting something.
Old 04-14-24, 04:57 PM
SirLeaflock

Originally Posted by Korina
Which model is that? I like my Tourist Bar, but I'm always adjusting something.
https://ergonbike.shop/products/ergon-gc1
Likes For SirLeaflock:
Old 04-19-24, 12:26 PM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I find the bar ends to be a too wide position to ride comfortably. I added SQ Labs inner bar ends and couldn't be happier. The arm width is more comfortable to me. My hands are on them at least 75% of the ride.

https://www.amazon.com/SQlab-411-Bic...gQAvD_BwE&th=1