Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Max air pressure in an innertube?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-21, 09:19 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 92 Posts

Anyone have a pressure gauge accurate enough to measure the maximum pressure in an inner tube before it explodes? With the tube NOT in a tire. Any guesses on what that pressure might be? IMO, any bicycle or automotive air pressure gauge won't even register at such pressures.
Old 10-01-21, 09:23 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Why would someone do that?

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-01-21, 09:24 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Wear earplugs and eye protection for this.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-01-21, 09:43 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Not much. Not sure why anyone would ever want to know this and what they'd do w/ the info.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-01-21, 09:59 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12796 Post(s)
Liked 7,705 Times in 4,089 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
Anyone have a pressure gauge accurate enough to measure the maximum pressure in an inner tube before it explodes? With the tube NOT in a tire. Any guesses on what that pressure might be? IMO, any bicycle or automotive air pressure gauge won't even register at such pressures.
I don't think it would be that high. Tubes get pretty big before they pop, much bigger than the tires they fit in, and with increased volume, you get lower psi. I'd guess PSI goes up for a few strokes, then kinda plateaus, maybe only increasing fractions of a PSI every stroke til POP!

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 10-01-21 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-01-21, 10:14 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Quoted: 12796 Post(s)
Liked 7,705 Times in 4,089 Posts
This one might work, just rig it up inline in your pump hose.

Old 10-01-21, 10:20 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
Inner tubes are basically just rubber balloons, they can barely contain any pressure at all. When you add air to them, they mostly just grow bigger, rather than seeing substantial increases in pressure. They pop when they stretch out so much that the material tears, much like party balloons.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 10-02-21, 04:41 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked 5,465 Times in 2,776 Posts
Kudos for an original post. Not even Winter yet....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-02-21, 07:50 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 332 Posts
Back of the envelope calculations for butyl rubber suggests to me that you should get to 10's of psi with a 1" tube. It will be lower than "theory" because there will be a relatively thinner portion that will bulge and will be the failure point.

I suspect you could see it with a normal pump gauge on a small diameter tube.

I'll put my marker at 10 psig.

Yes on doing it safely. Maybe have it on the other side of a door so you are protected. Make sure the dog's with you...
Old 10-02-21, 08:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6216 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 3,329 Posts
When you put the tube inside a tire then it becomes part of a system or structure that lend their particular qualities to the whole group.

I'd doubt a tube will hold much pressure at all by itself. But I'd be happy to be surprised if anyone wants to make balloons of their tubes..
Old 10-02-21, 08:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,223 Times in 2,368 Posts
This thread discusses the pressure needed to burst a balloon. It takes a pressure of about 75mm of Hg to burst the balloons. That’s 1.5 psi. Of course a balloon is thinner but I doubt that you’ll have much more pressure in a tire tube before it bursts. It just expands more. I’d estimate 5 psi or less.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-02-21, 10:44 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 2,109 Times in 1,372 Posts
I get a pretty big number back-envelope but it does not account for the hernia so I’m pretty sure it’s not right. At my job we use water for pressure tests most of the time unless it’s too heavy. The energy stored is much lower because it’s not compressible. Try it! Have fun! It’s very unlikely to kill you.

I predict failure at the stress concentration at the valve or any patches

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-02-21 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-02-21, 01:16 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

The pressure and strain in a balloon made of a material that can stretch 500% or more before yield seems like it would be a good homework problem for a college structures class. Maybe discipline-specific. I can't recall such a one but we were concentrating on fuel tanks and cabins and spars and combustion chambers, all rigid material
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-02-21, 01:23 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 2,059 Posts
On the FTTM Fat Tire tour it's a contest.

https://www.fattiretour.com/
​​​​​​
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-02-21, 01:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6216 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 3,329 Posts
Although come to think about it more, maybe it's higher than I expected. I did several years ago get a sidewall cut while out riding. The wheel immediately made a loud bang and was instantly flat.

Changed out the tube with new and then inflated the tube with CO2. A part of the tube came out of the 1/4" sidewall cut in a bubble the size of a dime and held. I figure the it must have been about 75 psi or better in the tube. It didn't blow so I just let some pressure out and it went back in the tire. I stuck a piece of something in there to act like a boot and rode it home and then put a new tire on.

But even if a tube not in a tire will take a lot of PSI, the tube will probably be stretched to the size of those old truck tire inner tubes I use to float down the creek on..
Old 10-02-21, 08:45 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
Liked 2,983 Times in 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
But even if a tube not in a tire will take a lot of PSI, the tube will probably be stretched to the size of those old truck tire inner tubes I use to float down the creek on..
I used to let my young daughter pump up old tubes for fun - they'd get almost as big as the whole garage before they finally let loose... not a bang, just a poof. Lot of volume, not much pressure.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 10-02-21 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-02-21, 09:12 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Sometimes when I was fixing a puncture and couldn't locate the hole, I inflated the tube a bit more past its normal size and it developed a bulge in one spot before it would overall get much bigger and it was clear it would burst on that bubble, so I didn't continue. Maybe these days, the tubes are made with some more exacting process so their wall thickness doesn't vary too much and they can be inflated much more but I didn't have intractable flat for ages, so.

Now, it you asked how much pressure before tube inside tire would burst... I guess here I would put on my protective glasses and even then I wouldn't like that. I know that with automotive tires, people got killed mishandling tire job.
Old 10-02-21, 09:14 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Some have already alluded to measuring low pressures with water. That is my suggestion.

You can make a pretty simple low pressure tester with a few pipes or hose. The measuring side, at least, needs to be clear so you can see the water level. Set up the tube/pipe structure as a U. On one side route the pressure line to also get pressure in to the U. The other side mark increments in inches, maybe even 1/4 or 1/8" depending on how precise you want to get. Fill the U with water up to your set point (0 line). Apply pressure on the pressure end. As you apply pressure the water level in the measuring side will rise. Just make sure that the surface area that the pressure is applied to is the same surface area as the measuring side. That would be the inside diameter of the pipe/hose/tube is the same. Where the bottom of the U is doesn't matter, so long as the pipe/tube/hose above the lowest point the water will be pushed to on the pressure side, and the tube above the 0 point on the measuring side, are the same. Therefore, you can do this with very small tube - even 1/4" tube to keep it cheap. Keep the U set up perfectly vertical.

14" WC = 1/2 PSI, roughly. WC = water column.
27-3/4" WC = 1 PSI
138-1/2" WC = 5 PSI

Inches of water column is a common unit of measure for low pressure natural gas (like in your house). You can get manometers that measure these low pressures, if ya want to get fancy with it. You have to check the measurement ranges carefully as most have specific pressure ranges that they work within. Too low of a max pressure and you'll break it, too high of a max pressure and you won't get the resolution on lower pressures. So you should have a starting idea of where your pressure is going to be so you can try and get that pressure in the resolution range of the meter.

On edit - if you scale the input pressure line with surface area you can compute the difference of - say it is exactly 1/2 the surface area of the measuring side - then you can cut the length in half of the measuring side that you would need. The increments would be 1/2" = 1" though. You could use any scaling you wanted, but if you get off of a standard fraction the gradation of the measuring side would be a lot harder to accurately mark.

Last edited by KC8QVO; 10-02-21 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-11-21, 05:48 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 92 Posts
Call it a hernia or an aneurysm. A bulge in an inner tube. The bulge is very taut, the rest is very squishy. it holds air so it will work just fine installed in a tire.

Old 10-11-21, 11:23 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

If you have that inside a tire like with a too undersize tube it will burst on a puncture rather than just leaking and it’ll be hard or impossible to patch.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-12-21, 09:57 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Why would someone do that?
In search of the elusive michelin flat microscopic pinhole out on the road comes to mind. Or heck, in the bathroom when I'm trying to find it with water in the sink and have spun the tube through the water twice at what feels like an already-overinflated tube. (But for the latter, I at least have the knowledge that if I blow a tube by more pumping, the tube was still no good to me anyway without finding the leak.)
Old 10-12-21, 10:15 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
The gauge on my pump appears to read down to 10psi, and the needle is moving in response to changes in air pressure a few PSI below that, but I can't begin to guess how accurate it is. I use it for my fat bike tires which I inflate up to around (what I think is likely) the 8 psi mark then, going by feel, let some air out over the first ride after inflation.
Blowing an unconstrained tube up to the point where it ruptures barely makes the needle of my pump move off of zero. My guess is less than 5psi.
Old 10-12-21, 10:34 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I believe it would take less pump psi to burst the tube when in Denver (ambient psi is 12.15) as compared to sea level (14.7 psi), and even less at the summit of Mt Everest (4.5 psi), and might take around 9,000 psi at full ocean depth, yes? Someone has to test this theory, any takers?

Last edited by Riveting; 10-12-21 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-12-21, 10:37 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I believe it would take takes less pump psi to burst the tube when in Denver (ambient is 12.15 psi) as compared to sea level (14.7 psi), and even less at the summit of Mt Everest (4.5 psi), yes?
The real test will be to count how many strokes to burst a tube at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, and how many on the moon.
Old 10-12-21, 10:50 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
The real test will be to count how many strokes to burst a tube at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, and how many on the moon.
But only if your floor pump is rated to 9,000+ psi. I've worked in a facility where we pressure tested equipment meant for full ocean depth up to 10,000psi, and have seen 10" diameter, 3/8" thick, titanium tubes collapse and shatter at a lot less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.