Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike trainer help!

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Bike trainer help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 07:01 PM
sitn2low

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike trainer help!

Hi everyone

I am new to the forum and I am looking for help

i bought a used Blackburn Magnetic trainer a couple months ago. It started out working fine, but over the last few weeks I have noticed that near the 20-25 min mark of being used it starts to "tense" up, making me drop all the way down to my lowest gears to even move the pedals.

I took it full apart, and I really dont know what I am looking at. It looks pretty basic, with a spring, a few metal plates and a few ball bearings

Can anyone tell me how to determine if this thing is broken? or better yet if it is repairable or what to look for?

Thanks!!

Lee

Last edited by sitn2low; 12-13-13 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 06:20 PM
sitn2low

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sitn2low
Hi everyone

I am new to the forum and I am looking for help

i bought a used Blackburn Magnetic trainer a couple months ago. It started out working fine, but over the last few weeks I have noticed that near the 20-25 min mark of being used it starts to "tense" up, making me drop all the way down to my lowest gears to even move the pedals.

I took it full apart, and I really dont know what I am looking at. It looks pretty basic, with a spring, a few metal plates and a few ball bearings

Can anyone tell me how to determine if this thing is broken? or better yet if it is repairable or what to look for?

Thanks!!

Lee

Hi again

Maybe I put this in the wrong section?

I really need some advice here (cant seem to google the answer)

help!
Old 12-15-13, 05:48 PM
TuckamoreDew

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The type of winter cycling discussed in this forum is the kind where you ride your bike outside in the snow. I'd guess that most of the people reading this sub-forum aren't spending a lot of time inside using magnetic trainers. You might have better luck with your question in one of the other sub-forums.

Or, if you can't get the dratted device to work you could always try doing some outside winter cycling. It's a lot of fun and can sometimes be a heck of a workout!
Old 12-15-13, 06:43 PM
sitn2low

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TuckamoreDew
The type of winter cycling discussed in this forum is the kind where you ride your bike outside in the snow. I'd guess that most of the people reading this sub-forum aren't spending a lot of time inside using magnetic trainers. You might have better luck with your question in one of the other sub-forums.

Or, if you can't get the dratted device to work you could always try doing some outside winter cycling. It's a lot of fun and can sometimes be a heck of a workout!
Yeah, I figured actual "outside" cycling is what is going on in this sub forum, but for lack of a better spot to ask, i posted it in here. I figured if I was that far off maybe a admin would move it (or still can)

I would ride outside but between concerns over salt and road grime , as well as minimal day light i prefer to ride indoors this time of year. I cant believe its this hard to figure out what is wrong with the trainer. I have started using my wife lower end trainer, but I would reallly like to get mine figured out. Like I said it does not look like there is alot to these things.
Old 12-15-13, 06:46 PM
sitn2low

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^ urrrrrh I just noticed the Bicycle Mechanics" forum
Old 12-15-13, 08:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Got the tech manual download? a good step 1.
Old 12-15-13, 08:41 PM
marathon marke

Bikes: Felt F65, Trek FX 7.3, Centurion Professional

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 5 Posts
I have an old Blackburn wind-trainer, with the fan. I have the same problem, and I'm pretty sure it's just in need of bearing replacement.