Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do you carry a lock?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Do you carry a lock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 09:08 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Can you expand? (stolen, unlocked?)
Last June I had spent the whole day making my way north thru L.A. with a combination of cycling and Metrolink train to Emma Wood State Park in Ventura. I arrived after midnight, exhausted, threw up my tent and crashed hard. In my near delirium I did not lock my bike, and a picnic table was right there. Woke up at sunrise and my bike and panniers were gone, a white 1992 Trek Multitrack 750, built for a round the world trip. Berthoud front bag and saddle, Son generator hub and Supernova headlight, Nitto racks, Carridice Super C front and rear panniers, Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, all gone. But it was my first bike stolen in over 50 years, so I'm crossing my fingers and holding my breath for the next 50.
I'm over it now and started over with a new Bike Friday Diamond Llama decked out for touring.
Learned my lesson!
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 04-13-24, 10:00 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by ignant666
You might be surprised at just how resistant to those two common bike-thief tools that lock is. It is a combination version of the lock i posted about above:

They had used a knife to cut away the rubber covering, which meant that the steel shell segment that they attacked with the angle grinder was totally free to spin. It had a line scored in it going all around the shell from spinning while in contact with the grinding wheel.

They did not have the sense to try on a rubber-shielded portion to see if the rubber would hold the shell in place to allow effective cutting, but i suspect that this wouldn't work much better anyway.
I did kinda wonder how effective they might be in real life. You just never know nowadays. I figured I would just keep the honest people honest.
Old 04-14-24, 07:34 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 382 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
Last June I had spent the whole day making my way north thru L.A. with a combination of cycling and Metrolink train to Emma Wood State Park in Ventura. I arrived after midnight, exhausted, threw up my tent and crashed hard. In my near delirium I did not lock my bike, and a picnic table was right there. Woke up at sunrise and my bike and panniers were gone, a white 1992 Trek Multitrack 750, built for a round the world trip. Berthoud front bag and saddle, Son generator hub and Supernova headlight, Nitto racks, Carridice Super C front and rear panniers, Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, all gone. But it was my first bike stolen in over 50 years, so I'm crossing my fingers and holding my breath for the next 50.
I'm over it now and started over with a new Bike Friday Diamond Llama decked out for touring.
Learned my lesson!
Oh man that sucks. Sorry. Hope the Diamond Llama works out for you.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 04-14-24, 03:27 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 107 Posts
HelpSingularity Sorry for your loss...
Likes For gauvins:
Old 04-15-24, 06:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
Learned my lesson!
Experiences like yours are clearly unfortunate. Rare, but they do happen. Thanks for reminding us that we need to be careful, even in a case like yours where you left your bike after sunset and it was already gone before sunrise.

My community used to license bicycles, I licensed all of mine to get the sticker on the bike that the police could use to find the owner if found later.

My community stopped licensing bikes, they instead recommended using Bike Index or a similar service. I listed all my bikes on Bike Index. I also bought the Bike Index stickers and put on my bikes. I bought the generic stickers (no QR code), but it appears such stickers are no longer available on their website.
https://bikeindex.org

These stickers and registrations are no guarantee, but they can help. Several decades ago my dad's bike was stolen, months later the police called and said come and pick up your bike. It was in terrible shape, but a local bike shop straightened the bent frame and fork, I got it working again with some use parts.

Someone on this forum (I do not recall whom) had his custom Co-Motion bike with Rohloff stolen out of his garage. Many months later, a bike shop called him, someone brought a bike in for repair and it sounded like it might be the one he informed local bike shops about. It was his. All serial numbers were ground off, but it was his.
Old 04-15-24, 08:10 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 3,127 Times in 1,691 Posts
use the medium-sized ottolock which coils up to fit in a rear jersey pocket (or can loop under the saddle rails…but that takes extra time to deploy and hang back up). able to install/undo in about 30 seconds. good enough to prevent opportunistic theft/snatch and go but wouldn’t feel comfy using it and having the bike out of my sight for longer than a quick, two minute bathroom break or taco shop lunch order.
Old 04-15-24, 08:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18442 Post(s)
Liked 15,643 Times in 7,360 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Experiences like yours are clearly unfortunate. Rare, but they do happen. Thanks for reminding us that we need to be careful, even in a case like yours where you left your bike after sunset and it was already gone before sunrise.

My community used to license bicycles, I licensed all of mine to get the sticker on the bike that the police could use to find the owner if found later.

My community stopped licensing bikes, they instead recommended using Bike Index or a similar service. I listed all my bikes on Bike Index. I also bought the Bike Index stickers and put on my bikes. I bought the generic stickers (no QR code), but it appears such stickers are no longer available on their website.

These stickers and registrations are no guarantee, but they can help. Several decades ago my dad's bike was stolen, months later the police called and said come and pick up your bike. It was in terrible shape, but a local bike shop straightened the bent frame and fork, I got it working again with some use parts.

Someone on this forum (I do not recall whom) had his custom Co-Motion bike with Rohloff stolen out of his garage. Many months later, a bike shop called him, someone brought a bike in for repair and it sounded like it might be the one he informed local bike shops about. It was his. All serial numbers were ground off, but it was his.
A friend of mine had his Colnago C-40 stolen from inside a synagogue. Years later, someone walked into a shop trying to sell a C-40 for less than $200. The shop just happened to be owned by a cousin of the victim, who had sold it to him. The shop owner recognized the bike and persuaded the seller to leave it for a few days so he could inspect it. Dude agreed. The shop owner called his cousin who told him to look inside one of the bar ends. Sure enough, his business card was still inside. The shop owner also removed one of the tires to check for his signature, which he always put on his hand-built wheels. There it was. They ended up paying the asking price to avoid trouble later.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-15-24, 08:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
A friend of mine had his Colnago C-40 stolen from inside a synagogue. Years later, someone walked into a shop trying to sell a C-40 for less than $200. The shop just happened to be owned by a cousin of the victim, who had sold it to him. The shop owner recognized the bike and persuaded the seller to leave it for a few days so he could inspect it. Dude agreed. The shop owner called his cousin who told him to look inside one of the bar ends. Sure enough, his business card was still inside. The shop owner also removed one of the tires to check for his signature, which he always put on his hand-built wheels. There it was. They ended up paying the asking price to avoid trouble later.
Good idea to put an identifier inside a rim. I put stickers here and there in some bikes, but they often fell off or got wet and became a wet layer of slush. I think I will try some inside rims, I am pulling tires off bikes often enough, I just have to remember this.

Most of my bikes have bar end shifters, not an easy place to hide a note.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 04-17-24, 01:05 AM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

Unfortunately, not that rare in the suburban SoCal coastal Hike and Bike sites. Expect a wretched hive of scum and villainy at some, but maybe you'll have a pleasant surprise...
Old 04-17-24, 06:36 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by stevepusser
Unfortunately, not that rare in the suburban SoCal coastal Hike and Bike sites. Expect a wretched hive of scum and villainy at some, but maybe you'll have a pleasant surprise...
I have heard that the further south you go on the Pacific Coast, the worse it gets for hiker biker sites.

I rode from Astoria to San Francisco in 2014. Twice reported some unsavory types to park rangers.

First was a big guy walking into my camp area with a large dog, he apparently did not see me at first, he was about 20 feet from a picnic table with a lot of our stuff on it. When he saw me, he seemed unsure, should he pretend he is innocent or threaten me with his dog. I pulled out my phone and opened it up (flip phone) so I could call 911 if I had to, he then chose to leave after saying that he paid taxes and had as much right to be there as I did.

Second time was two homeless people that moved into our site after we called it a night. Ranger chased them out.

I think part of the problem is how the staff treats their campers at campsites. In Oregon, the park staff were great, very helpful. In California I started to give some constructive criticism to a park staffer, and she immediately informed me that we were very lucky that they allowed us to have hiker biker sites because we were low revenue and the RV owners were the ones that deserved good service. At other California parks, I found the attitude to generally be similar to that. When that poor attitude of not supporting hiker biker site users is prevalent, that encourages the lawless faction to take advantage of that.
Old 04-18-24, 01:44 AM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
The beach one nearest me (San Elijo) is $15 apiece. Since they can jam eight people in that site, I don't think $120 has them losing money on the deal. And it's a terrible HB site anyway.

They have two campgrounds at 4000' and 5000' inland in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park, and they still have the deal where you can use the huge day use areas for HB for $5 overnight--multiple nights OK, or the camps are only five miles apart. You just have to break down your sleeping arrangements when the picnickers are there. Lots of oak and pine, deer, turkeys, hiking, and you're away from the main campground with all its smoke and noise.
Old 04-29-24, 04:16 AM
Bjorneas

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I strap mine to move weight forward

I use two short Voile straps to secure my cable lock around top tube and head tube to avoid adding even more weight to my rear-heavy touring rig. If I used a front rack then I would put it there.

Originally Posted by zacster
I'll have to find a lighter lock then. What I have is pretty heavy duty. But yea, I only need it to stop an opportunistic thief. Even my Kryptonite NYC Fuhgeddaboudit was broken. I had bike parking inside in my office, but they didn't want locks left on the rack so I'd leave the lock outside locked to a public rack. I did it for years. One day I ride up to get my my lock and it was gone. It just showed me how any lock can be broken. My guess is that someone decided to clean up all the dead locks because mine wasn't the only one on the block. Some of them looked like they hadn't been touched in years. Anyway, I bought a new somewhat lighter one since I had to carry it with me now, but it is still heavier than I want to carry 500 miles.
Old 04-29-24, 05:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18442 Post(s)
Liked 15,643 Times in 7,360 Posts
Used my combination cable lock twice during last week’s 5-day trip. Once when I shopped at a large grocery store. Brought the bike inside the vestibule and put the lock around the frame and front wheel. The second time I locked the bike to a rack at a restaurant.