Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM Red Calipers - excessive play, how adjust??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-22, 02:19 PM
dcrocker

Bikes: Dean El Diente, Bianchi Milano, Litespeed Xicon, Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have play in my SRAM Red 22 front brake caliper that I *think* is making the front end feel as though the headset is loose. I can grab each arm of the caliper and can really move them back and forth. At first I thought my headset was loose, and kept on tightening it until it was obvious that I'd made it too tight. So I backed that off and used the tried and true method of grabbing the fork and trying my best to feel play. No play from fork, but when I grab the brakes and roll the front wheel back and forth I am getting what feels like play.

So I scoured forums and reread the SRAM manuals, which mention nothing about adjustability of play in the calipers themselves. For old school center-bolt calipers I've always seen an external nut of some sort, which allows you to adjust the play. Not on these. What am I missing?? Surely SRAM did not make these without any adjustability. Could it be that the nut behind the caliper arms (the 13 mm one that is used to center the caliper) simply needs to be tightened when the brake is off the bike?
Old 05-12-22, 06:10 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
This probably needs to be moved to the Bicycle Mechanics subforum.

However I'd try tightening the 13mm nut to see what would happen. I have a pair of these calipers as well and recently replaced them with eeBrakes. The big annoyance I have with Red 222 calipers is that they struggle to stay centered.
Old 05-12-22, 06:42 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
I can’t help the OP at all, and have to say, I’m surprised if “brake caliper arm play adjustment” is a thing; I’ve never thought about it, done it, or heard about it. I’ll be following the thread hoping to learn something.