Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cassette change question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cassette change question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-17, 10:44 PM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Cassette change question

I just got my first road bike last Thursday, I do have some knowledge about road bikes but have been stuck with a single speed for a long time but finally got a road bike. The road bike I'm using is a 2016 Specialized Allez DSW Elite with Shimano Tiagra 4700 group set. It came with a 12-28 cassette but I was wondering what gears I could use for this bike. Would I need to replace the short cage derailleur for a medium/long caged one if I want a bigger cog? What is the limit on how big of a cog I could use? I was thinking of a 11-34 or maybe if possible up to a 11-40, I heard you can use mountain bike rear derailleurs and make it work. I also heard that Tiagra 4700 has compatibility problems, so I'm not sure what to do exactly.
Old 03-27-17, 10:53 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
If you only wanted to go to 30t you might skate by with he short cage RD. But going as wide as you're proposing will definitely call for a long cage RD or mtb derailleur. Don't take me as an authority on this, but I believe that the super big cassettes, like 40t, are going to need a special RD, and a standard mtb won't be adequate.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-27-17, 11:02 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
I was able to ride up a 22% Hill with just changing the cassette to a 11/32

Old 03-28-17, 08:31 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RMoudatir
I just got my first road bike last Thursday, I do have some knowledge about road bikes but have been stuck with a single speed for a long time but finally got a road bike. The road bike I'm using is a 2016 Specialized Allez DSW Elite with Shimano Tiagra 4700 group set. It came with a 12-28 cassette but I was wondering what gears I could use for this bike. Would I need to replace the short cage derailleur for a medium/long caged one if I want a bigger cog? What is the limit on how big of a cog I could use? I was thinking of a 11-34 or maybe if possible up to a 11-40, I heard you can use mountain bike rear derailleurs and make it work. I also heard that Tiagra 4700 has compatibility problems, so I'm not sure what to do exactly.
Not an expert on this, but with what you've currently got, the easiest/cheapest change to get more gear range without making tons of other changes would be to go with a medium cage version of the Tiagra 4700 rear derailleur and a 11-32 cassette. I know that combo works. I couldn't tell from Specialized's specs whether the rear derailleur that is stock on your bike is the medium cage version or not, it doesn't specify. I would guess that it is, but your LBS that you purchased from should be able to confirm.

If you want a crazy big cassette like you're indicating, trickier, and much more expensive. You'd need to go with a Wolf Tooth Roadlink problem solver. If you want to go up to 11-34 and keep your current front chain rings, you add this one tool, assuming a medium cage derailleur, and you're good to go. For anything larger like you're talking, you can't keep your current front chain rings either, as the wolf tooth fix, which is adjusting derailleur offset maxes out at a 14 tooth difference in the front chain ring set, the medium cage derailleur can't handle the total tooth size of keeping the 50, so have to swap out the front chain ring to a more common 46/36 or 48/34. This would allow you to run an 11-40 behind.

Regarding going with mtb rear derailleurs, they aren't compatible with the STI shift levers you've got, you'd have to lose those, and go with bar end/down tube shifters if you want to go with a long cage mtb derailleur. Since the STIs are a 200+ option, this is certainly not a direction I would want to go on a complete bike.

You'd potentially need a new chain with the above changes as well, depending on total tooth count.

Last edited by Craptacular8; 03-28-17 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 09:23 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
What chaineings did the bike come with? Stepping down to a 50-34 from a 53-39 or 52-36 that road bikes typically come with would be a pretty reasonable change...and could be cheaper than a cassette/derailleur. I can't speak to Tiagra, but in Ultegra, the gs cage derailleur I think tops out at 28, the sgs derailleur tops out at 32. The difference between an 11 speed 11-28 and an 11 speed 11-32 is the 16 tooth sprocket right in the middle.

For my touring bike, I have an 11 speed XT 8000 11-40 cassette and an XT M9000 Shadow Plus derailleur and a Shiftmate 8 so that I can use Ultegra/105 STI's. The XT rear Derailleur will take up to a 45 tooth capacity, and Ultegra Front has a capacity of 16 so a 50-34 double would work. I did all the math and have a 44-28 and some spacers on an XT crank. It works because I am within everythings capacity limits. The Ultegra cage isn't supposed to like any rings smaller than 32, but in reality the difference in diameter between 28 and 32 isn't enough to make a difference in practice, so long as the max 16 tooth difference between rings isn't exceeded.

So...I guess you can do anything you want. But Swapping the chain rings is a cheap start if you are already at the derailleurs capacity from the get go.

What is the derailleurs capacity, how big is the biggest cog it will take? That will tell you where to start.

Last edited by base2; 03-28-17 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 10:23 AM
RMoudatir

My road bike already came with compact chain rings 50/34 and it comes with a short caged tiagra 4700 rear derailleur
Old 03-28-17, 10:51 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Then a 11-34 is the most you can go and be within the 39 tooth derailleur total capacity.

The Shimano spec page is a bit confusingly written. 11-28 is the smallest with a front double, 12-34 is the biggest.

Worst case a 12-34 with a 50-34 chainring is a 38 tooth difference.

So, an 11-34 cassette would take you to 39 tooth difference and would be the gs derailleurs (model # RD-4700-SS) absolute limit.

CS-M771 would do the trick.

Last edited by base2; 03-28-17 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 04:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
What kind of mountain-climbing are you foreseeing where you will need a 34x40 gear? And why would you then need the 50x11? I think anyone who could spin out a 50x11 would be able to climb almost anything on Earth with 34x32.

If that is what you want, go for it ... but it is a pretty extreme range.

I would likely look at the kind of riding I planned to do and build a bike that would do it well. If I needed to haul huge loads up mountains (40-tooth cog) i would go for an MTB or CX chainring---46-36, or an MTB triple (42-32-22?)

If you can get that big load to the top of a mountain, .... unless you have a 78-tooth big ring or something, you aren't going to be able to pedal fast enough to keep up with gravity ... and anyway, braking will be your main concern.

If I needed to cruise at 35 mph on the flats or win sprints, I would go for a bigger chainset (53-39?) or stay with the 50-34 and an 11x28 which Ought to giver you a wide range of terrain capability and still silly top end.

I might suggest that you go out and ride your bike a while before you start modifying it ... but if you absolutely know what you want to do ... have at it and have a ball. Lots of folks here have given you the info you should need.

Ride on and enjoy it.
Old 03-28-17, 05:28 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I might suggest that you go out and ride your bike a while before you start modifying it ... but if you absolutely know what you want to do ... have at it and have a ball. Lots of folks here have given you the info you should need.

Ride on and enjoy it.
Why this advice isn't given more, I have no clue, but it is the best advice. Once you've ridden something, you'll understand what needs changed, but more importantly WHY. Then, you can either give an in depth description of why something isn't working, and get far more pertinent advice, or just know what you need to change.
Old 03-28-17, 10:03 PM
RMoudatir

What do you think of this?
Old 03-29-17, 04:43 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
Not an expert on this...Regarding going with mtb rear derailleurs, they aren't compatible with the STI shift levers you've got...

Only half of this statement is true, and it's not the second half...
Old 03-29-17, 04:50 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Originally Posted by Maelochs
...If I needed to haul huge loads up mountains (40-tooth cog) i would go for an MTB or CX chainring---46-36...

I might suggest that you go out and ride your bike a while before you start modifying it ...
^ These two thoughts are spot on. First, OP should ride the geared bike and determine what changes might be made later. If he's coming from single speed riding, then having the option of another gear or two should make a world of difference to begin with.

The 11-32T rear with 46/36 or 46/34 front combination would be a sweet and elegant place to wind up. What mountain could not be tackled with that gearing?
Old 03-29-17, 07:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
I just got my first road bike last Thursday, I do have some knowledge about road bikes but have been stuck with a single speed for a long time but finally got a road bike.
I'd say to get out and ride your bike as configured first, then worry about getting the perfect gearing later. You are already riding a single speed or fixie,so you must have some experience climbing hills in high gears.

Keep in mind that a huge rear sprocket comes at the expense of tight gearing. So you won't have the gears if you want to pedal just a little easier, or just a little harder on the flat.
Old 03-29-17, 08:53 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Only half of this statement is true, and it's not the second half...
STI and mtb rd work for 9-speed and below, is this what you're wanting acknowledged? 9-speed M592 Deore shadow rd reportedly will work with 10- speed sti, though this kludge still does not get the OP to the mega range they were requesting.
Old 03-29-17, 10:12 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Originally Posted by Craptacular8
STI and mtb rd work for 9-speed and below, is this what you're wanting acknowledged? 9-speed M592 Deore shadow rd reportedly will work with 10- speed sti, though this kludge still does not get the OP to the mega range they were requesting.
I'm sorry, I was pulling your chain a bit. You're right. 4700 10-speed isn't guaranteed to work with MTB derailleurs. Trying it couldn't hurt, but could cost. I think that Tiagra long cage derailleurs can handle 32 tooth cogs with adjustment. I've done that.
Old 03-29-17, 11:01 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
https://youtu.be/DzUunm4suo0

What do you think of this?
I think the fool needs to use Chain-L..... his chain all rusty.
Old 03-29-17, 11:22 AM
RMoudatir

I was just considering this change because where I live there are a lot of climbs and going up a 5% climb was very tough, I'm not the strongest rider, I only weigh 60kg, I just want gearing that can tackle any steep climb without the need to grind up slowly. A 11-32 or 11-34 would be great and I heard Tiagra 4700 can be done with it without much modifications. I would like a 40t if it were possible but no big deal if it can't be done easily. If I buy a 11-32 or 11-34 M771 10 speed cassette and a 4700 medium/long cage derailleur and swap it for my current set up would it work?
Old 03-29-17, 12:33 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Your bike has 10 gears in the back and 2 in the front? Is that correct?

Then Yes, as stated in post #7 a CS-M771 will work. As with any cassette change, some minor adjustments *may* be necessary and any decent bike shop will do this as a complimentary service if you bought the cassette from them and have them install it.

Per the spec sheet of the 4700 GS derailleur: Anything beyond 34 tooth big gear, 39 tooth capacity (with a front double) or the bike having a different number of gears on the cassette than 10 invalidates the CS-M771 recommendation.

As far as 9 speed Tiagra, I don't know. As far as mixing mountain/road components, "it depends." Others clearly do know what combinations work, but I don't. But I don't think your bike has 9 in the back.

In any event, if "because a 34 tooth cassette just wasn't low enough for me" I'd look up Jtek Shiftmate if I were to start mixing mountain/road families. But that's just me. As an example of what Shiftmate does: In Shimano 11 speed, the mountain/road cassettes are the same, and interchangeable, save for a spacer needed for the XT on the 11 speed free hub body, and (obviously) the enormous 40 tooth cog the road derailleur won't accomodate...What is different is the "pull ratio." of Each family is designed to a different standard. The ratio between the shifter/derailleur are different between the road and mountain families to move the derailleur the exact same distance on the cassette. The Shiftmate has 2 different sized pullys to correct the ratio to be compatible with the combinations of components of the other family. Thus allowing road shifters with a mountain derailleur, or vice/versa mountain flat bar mountain shifters with a road derailleur. Another example would be the compatibility between Campy v/s Shimano/SRAM. Shiftmate makes it possible.

But given that the Tiagra you already have accommodates a 34 tooth cog...I don't see the need to go mixing & matching.

If your bike has 10 gears on the cassette, Buy the CS-M771, The 10 speed road shifter with the 10 speed road derailleur, with the 10 speed mountain cassette should be fine. Like 11 speed, 10 speed cassettes are interchangeable, it's the pull-ratio standard the shifter/derailleur is designed to that would cause the problem and the Shiftmate would fix if you were mixing shifters/derailleurs.

Last edited by base2; 03-29-17 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-29-17, 01:27 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Why this advice isn't given more, I have no clue, but it is the best advice. Once you've ridden something, you'll understand what needs changed, but more importantly WHY. Then, you can either give an in depth description of why something isn't working, and get far more pertinent advice, or just know what you need to change.
Also, there is no free lunch. When you install a wide range cassette to gain an easier hill climb gear, you lose the relatively tight spacing between the flat road gears that most riders use most often. A bit of experience will help you to make the best compromise.
Old 03-29-17, 03:43 PM
RMoudatir

Originally Posted by base2
Your bike has 10 gears in the back and 2 in the front? Is that correct?

Then Yes, as stated in post #7 a CS-M771 will work. As with any cassette change, some minor adjustments *may* be necessary and any decent bike shop will do this as a complimentary service if you bought the cassette from them and have them install it.

Per the spec sheet of the 4700 GS derailleur: Anything beyond 34 tooth big gear, 39 tooth capacity (with a front double) or the bike having a different number of gears on the cassette than 10 invalidates the CS-M771 recommendation.

As far as 9 speed Tiagra, I don't know. As far as mixing mountain/road components, "it depends." Others clearly do know what combinations work, but I don't. But I don't think your bike has 9 in the back.

In any event, if "because a 34 tooth cassette just wasn't low enough for me" I'd look up Jtek Shiftmate if I were to start mixing mountain/road families. But that's just me. As an example of what Shiftmate does: In Shimano 11 speed, the mountain/road cassettes are the same, and interchangeable, save for a spacer needed for the XT on the 11 speed free hub body, and (obviously) the enormous 40 tooth cog the road derailleur won't accomodate...What is different is the "pull ratio." of Each family is designed to a different standard. The ratio between the shifter/derailleur are different between the road and mountain families to move the derailleur the exact same distance on the cassette. The Shiftmate has 2 different sized pullys to correct the ratio to be compatible with the combinations of components of the other family. Thus allowing road shifters with a mountain derailleur, or vice/versa mountain flat bar mountain shifters with a road derailleur. Another example would be the compatibility between Campy v/s Shimano/SRAM. Shiftmate makes it possible.

But given that the Tiagra you already have accommodates a 34 tooth cog...I don't see the need to go mixing & matching.

If your bike has 10 gears on the cassette, Buy the CS-M771, The 10 speed road shifter with the 10 speed road derailleur, with the 10 speed mountain cassette should be fine. Like 11 speed, 10 speed cassettes are interchangeable, it's the pull-ratio standard the shifter/derailleur is designed to that would cause the problem and the Shiftmate would fix if you were mixing shifters/derailleurs.
Thank you and yes my road bike is a 2 x 10